HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #31
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter Comparison

Just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples . The WIX filters I use which has the R after the number has a metal screen that backs up the filter media . I used to use the HP version of the Fram filter , which I never had a problem with . When I get out to the shop , I will cut apart a Fram HP filter and see how the filter media is attached to the bobbin . I know the can is thicker than the street version .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #32
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples . The WIX filters I use which has the R after the number has a metal screen that backs up the filter media . I used to use the HP version of the Fram filter , which I never had a problem with . When I get out to the shop , I will cut apart a Fram HP filter and see how the filter media is attached to the bobbin . I know the can is thicker than the street version .

be a nice guy and post some pics?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #33
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Fram sells because of their strong marketing program.

Nevertheless, the problem with Fram oil filters has been the inconsistency of their product because it is manufactured all over the world without proper quality oversight.

In my past business travels I have drive by Fram oil filter manufacturing facilities from South America throughout Asia. They have also had a high number of oil filter recalls throughout the years, including their racing oil filters in 2007 as shown in the link below:

www.motorstate.com/pdf/FramRecall.pdf
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #34
Bill Bogues

Liked 169 Times in 52 Posts
Smile Re: Oil Filter Comparison

wlile I agree that the fram street filters are junk I've used the fram hp filters for a long time and never had any problems. I cut every one open when I change them and their quality seems to me to be as good as the napa's or the wix. I know the frams are a lot easier to get than the others.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #35
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Looks like the construction is the same as the street version . End caps are cardboard , the bypass valve , under the screen looks well designed with a coil spring .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fram.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	48212  
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 AM   #36
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

About 5 years ago I bought a 74 corvette that was running in stock. I had a motor built for it and decided to have a straight rear put in it along with some other changes. The motor was done before the corvette was finished. I wanted to race at Indy and put the motor in my brother's Camaro and went to Indy. We raced it a few more times and put it away for the winter. I put the motor In the corvette and went to a race the next year. Made a pass and only had 10 pounds oil pressure. After putting another gauge on dropping the oil pan and chasing other stuff someone suggested we change the oil filter after asking if it was a fram. Yup the racing filter. Changed the filter and bam 40 pounds preasure and a .10th in ET. Fram = Junk!!!!!!! BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #37
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,624 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
About 5 years ago I bought a 74 corvette that was running in stock. I had a motor built for it and decided to have a straight rear put in it along with some other changes. The motor was done before the corvette was finished. I wanted to race at Indy and put the motor in my brother's Camaro and went to Indy. We raced it a few more times and put it away for the winter. I put the motor In the corvette and went to a race the next year. Made a pass and only had 10 pounds oil pressure. After putting another gauge on dropping the oil pan and chasing other stuff someone suggested we change the oil filter after asking if it was a fram. Yup the racing filter. Changed the filter and bam 40 pounds preasure and a .10th in ET. Fram = Junk!!!!!!! BP
Me thinks you should have changed the oil filter first, would have saved you a lot of time and work.....Happy New Year.....MJ
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

I've been reading along and I'll voice my opinion (whatever that's worth).
An oil filter on a "drag car" is like following behind a baby with a paper towel that has no diapers on.
Screens and magnets will catch the iron, aluminum and babbitt usally won't hurt anything.
Change the oil often and inspect.
If the filter gets a little clogged it will bypasses the element, so non filtered oil gets thru.
I'll not run one (free hp) we'll see how it works.
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #39
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

Years ago while still in a dealership, we had a spat of issues with a particular 4 cylinder OHC engine seizing the cam in the head. The common thing between all of the failures was a Fram filter.

I've always used a System 1 type filter in a race application. I know the filter rating stays consistent since it is reused, I know what's normal and what's not, and I use the ability to look at it often at no cost to pay close attention to the engine. I have caught several issues before they became a major problem by doing so as a part of my weekly maintenance routine.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #40
baccaruda

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I have seen lots of tests like this one and the Fram filters seem to always end up on the bottom.

However as many as they sell they must be "good enough" for many applications.

It does not matter if it is tires, batteries or oil filters, it does not matter as much as who makes them and to what specifications they were built.

Like many others that have posted I use the Wix filters and have been happy with them.

However I would like to see a comparison that included racing filters.
i agree with everyone about the regular fram oil filters , except there race filter i have ran them for years now and will put it up to any other oil filter on the market . and have dissected one compared to other brands of race filters and i was pleased.
baccaruda is offline   Reply With Quote