HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default 1985 Camaro L4 W/SA Build

OK, might as well start this thread now so there is more stuff we can talk about during the winter.

My brother and I were given a 1985 Camaro (FREE! Yea). I also have access to parts to build a L4 Pontiac "Iron Duke" 151 with the TBI that originally came out of a 1985 Camaro.
We already started taking apart ect. decided to build a Stocker but not like a "Dime Rocket" but due to the low HP going to keep it affordable . Some ideas/question

1. Rear End. Keep the 7.5 have 4:56 gears plus a mini-spool.

I know lots of you will go "Moser or "blank" makes a12 Bolt bolt in for only $2400" Refer to top.

2. Transmission . I know i said Automatic, would a untrick Metric200 with a converter work good? For a stick deal how about a old Saginaw 4 speed with a low first gear/ (3.15, ect) TH350 . Looks like the bolt pattern is a typical BOP or am I wrong?

3. ECM Computer? to run TBI Unit . Is there an aftermarket Unit I can used (are we allowed to use?) Stock ECM with Chip- I never worked much with Fuel Injection. Is there a unit just to run the TBI ?

OK , car will run W/S or WS/A 16.40 index.
I will start posting pics soon.

Will Lamprecht
Div 1, NHRA I/SA 65 Impala in progress will be racing 2016
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
George W

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 1985 Camaro L4 W/SA Build

7.5 will work for you in low horsepower applications with the 4.56 ,un trick 200 is fine with a shift kit ,talk to Mark on the converter .26" slick on the rear.I would stay away from manual trans on the 7.5 rear .not sure on the ECM and fuel injection Billy might be able to shed some lite on this.Sounds like a fun project keep us updated
George W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
OK, might as well start this thread now so there is more stuff we can talk about during the winter.

My brother and I were given a 1985 Camaro (FREE! Yea). I also have access to parts to build a L4 Pontiac "Iron Duke" 151 with the TBI that originally came out of a 1985 Camaro.
We already started taking apart ect. decided to build a Stocker but not like a "Dime Rocket" but due to the low HP going to keep it affordable . Some ideas/question

1. Rear End. Keep the 7.5 have 4:56 gears plus a mini-spool.

I know lots of you will go "Moser or "blank" makes a12 Bolt bolt in for only $2400" Refer to top.

2. Transmission . I know i said Automatic, would a untrick Metric200 with a converter work good? For a stick deal how about a old Saginaw 4 speed with a low first gear/ (3.15, ect) TH350 . Looks like the bolt pattern is a typical BOP or am I wrong?

3. ECM Computer? to run TBI Unit . Is there an aftermarket Unit I can used (are we allowed to use?) Stock ECM with Chip- I never worked much with Fuel Injection. Is there a unit just to run the TBI ?

OK , car will run W/S or WS/A 16.40 index.
I will start posting pics soon.

Will Lamprecht
Div 1, NHRA I/SA 65 Impala in progress will be racing 2016
I've always wanted to do one of these! I'm jealous!

1. 7.5 just won't give you enough gear even with a 20" tall slick. In 1982-4, Chevy offered a service package rear that was a bolt in dana-44. Most people that have them don't know what they are and just junk them. I've bought them for $100 more than once. Plenty of stuff available for them through the Jeep guys.

2. A metric is fine. A low gear metric is finer.

3. Lots of old, outdated(to the LT and LS types) ECUs starting to pop up for not a lot of $$$.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
GTOMayhem

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I am jealous also! I have been looking at a Firebird with the Iron Duke to build for my son.
He will be 13 next year and eligible to race NHRA Jr Street. Jr Street is restricted to 9.00 seconds or slower in the 1/8 mile. I was thinking one of these combos would be perfect to start and then transition to Stock when he turns 16.
Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
GTOMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wasn't there a guy in Division 1 that raced this combo maybe in the mid 90's? His name was Pat (Henneberry)? Not sure on last name but pretty sure his first name was Pat.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: 1985 Camaro L4 W/SA Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOMayhem View Post
I am jealous also! I have been looking at a Firebird with the Iron Duke to build for my son.
He will be 13 next year and eligible to race NHRA Jr Street. Jr Street is restricted to 9.00 seconds or slower in the 1/8 mile. I was thinking one of these combos would be perfect to start and then transition to Stock when he turns 16.
Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
I think this is a great idea,, something I hope more parents will look into. You have 3 years to sort out the car and come up with a quicker combo when you transition into Stock Eliminator. By then you'll have a competitive driver and time to see how factoring develops before spending your dollars on a particular engine. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I would say any rear you can get a low gear for is ok. I used to have a Chevy monza that was a street strip car. 355 double hump heads solid cam and headers. Had a t350 and vega converter air bags. Went 12.10's at 110 with 8x26 slicks. The axles were redrilled for five bolt Chevy pattern. Never ever broke an axle or gear and I drove it and raced it several years. Now the gear was only. 3.42, but my point is the strength should be fine if you can find a set up with an acceptable gear.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
impstocker

Thanks everybody for your comments.
Steve, yea Pat Hennebery (Your spelling was real close) is my racing buddy and he is the one we got the Camaro from. He had the 85 Camoro with the Iron Duke but the project did not get off of the ground. We did take it to Island Dragway once with just the exsaust off car ran 19.60's? then we swapped out for a shorter rear tires picked up 3 tenths to 19.30's!
Today besides working on a new Competition Eliminator B/SR Pat races in the NETO Nostalgia Racing circuit with his old 68 Camaro C/SM with a basically stock innards 327 and a Jerico, has gone quick as 11.30's ! Today we pulled the motor out , he will be running a 6 Cylinder he is building using parts when he ran that same Camaro in H/MP He will be using the old cam plus domed pistons , lump port head, and either sideraft Webers or 3 Holley 2 barrels. This camaro still has paint and decals from 1977, going to update the side Lettering to his old "Six Fiend" name. You can see pics of the car on the NETO (Northeast timing Organization) Website.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
impstocker

James, I think the 4:56 7.5 rear would be fine. Thanks for your input. I love your Nova! My 68 Impala was a stick shift Jerico - "tons" of fun

Will Lamprecht 65 Impala I/SA in progress.