HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 08-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
brett3533

Liked 33 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: The MSD Grid System

interesting read have not heard of stage lock however at the Lucas oil event at Indianapolis this past weekend in the Super Gas final I saw each racer pre-stage light come on, next bottom stage lights both come on then they went to full throttle and the right lane bottom bulb went out and the red light did come on. Do they only use stage lock in certain categories, all, when they want to, did it Malfunction. I went over to ask what happened when he made it back to lanes for his runner up finish and he said he had a power glide and they can roll back when you apply the trans-brake and go to full throttle. He felt bad but said it is a part of racing he understood the possibility with a power glide you may have to deal with. once again if the stage lock control was on how did this happen. sorry my question is not about the MSD grid but never heard of stage lock. have saw the red light come on many times since 1974 and always understood if you stage very shallow and rolled backward you got the red light same as being staged deep and roll forward.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

This is not a characteristic of Powerglides. It is a powerglide that isn't setup properly or a low volume pump, pressure low due to hot fluid, band adjustment, idle too low. There are several things that can cause that problem but not just because it's a powerglide.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #13
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Yes, I believe that the way it was explained to me, the stage lite should have stayed on. I will try and look at D3TV and see if I can see what the sequence was. But if both cars are staged, and the tree is activated, and one rolls back, he should not go red. That is the way it was explained to me by several NHRA people. The one I asked last was Cooper, who does the setup for the national events
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

If all (4) (pre-stage and stage) lights aren't on when the tree activates, the side missing a light will go red.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Yes, Mr Wescott, you are right.. and no folks, I don't run a Grid.. 7AL-2 with a 2-Step works just fine... LOL!!
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
Wilson1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get a kick out of people that say the Grid is a cheater system. It isn’t. In fact it is much easier to tell if a guy is using traction control or slew rate with a grid that someone running a 6 or a 7 with a separate box. That can be hidden very well and almost impossible for the tech guys to find. The reason they check after the first run is if an ARC (slew rate module) is hooked up to a Grid it will remain visible for 60 minutes of run time. So you can’t hide the module and turn it off with a switch. In fact if you are running against a guy with a Grid, 7 out of 10 times you can rest assured he is overthinking it and might be putting himself at a disadvantage if you are bracket racing. You can do all the things with a 7 that you can do with a Grid, it’s just harder. You can’t make an inconsistent car consistent with a Grid and you can’t make a bad combo good with a Grid.
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

The stage lock system has its limits also. maybe an inch or so of backwards roll is allowed. I believe this was first put in place for the pro stock motorcycles that can rock back a hair when staging.
Maverick, You should be very happy to have this in place instead of your comments to the contrary. don't you run a clutch car? This could keep you from red when staging shallow. My dad had a 69 charger with a four speed and he would roll back sometimes when he mashed the gas, went red several times before I talked him into a line lock to set same time.
No one is cheating or has an advantage to this by shallow staging. this is just the way any good racer keeps his car rollout the same and consistent.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program....
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #18
Maverick

I guess the thing I did not like about the stage lock system, is the fact, I didn't know it existed, till one day I see four sensors instead of three, and ask questions, and have to go to several NHRa people before I get the answer. This was two years ago, when I found out. I am not upset about it, but it more of me not knowing what the rules are, because I can't find it in the rule book. I was in the tower numerous times, asking questions to the division director, or the tech guys, . Yes I have a clutch car, and my car does not roll back. It rolls forward, so if the prestage does go out I am out. But if you roll back out of the stage beam , you are ok
Liked
Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

You have 7 inches to roll forward, you may have an inch to roll back
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
Maverick

I think it is more than a inch, need to talk to Cooper, at a national event. He has stated he has have had issues with the reflection off the ground . Uses special paint to try to make it a non issue. It don't matter to me any more. I just to like to know the rules so I can play the game. Bottom line, I mentioned that two years ago, and it not a issue any more, not knowing.

Last edited by Maverick; 06-20-2019 at 07:23 AM.