HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Joe Martens

Liked 180 Times in 61 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens
Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Looking for input regarding Martin Diesel and Next Gen diesel generators? Pros and cons for both would be appreciated. They are going to be used in an ambulance as a back up power source to an inverter. We are currently using Martin Diesel and our ambulance builder is recommending Next Gen for some new ambulances we are having built. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Joe I am not familiar with either brand name generator you mentioned. So I could not give you any info on one....

Onan is by far the most common generator we get in for service or see for repairs.

I have worked on many of them that were installed in emergency response type vehicles. Diesels usually....

We have occasionally seen PowerTechs and I have worked on quite a few of those as well.

Tom thanks for the recommendation. See you soon.....Rich
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Cummins Onan RV QD 10000
Is there anywhere I could find out how much fuel they should be using? And how many hours should they be run before servicing (oil, filters ect)?
Thanks
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Matt Schurman
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oil and filter is 250 hours, fuel and air filters at 500 hrs.
My experience is that might be a bit too much, I go 200 and 400 respectively.

Fuel consumption will vary depending on how much load is on the engine, so the factory guide lists this:

No load = .11 GPH (gallons per hour)
1/2 load = .48 GPH
Full load = 1.01 GPH

Hope that helps....
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Thank You.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Schurman View Post
Oil and filter is 250 hours, fuel and air filters at 500 hrs.
My experience is that might be a bit too much, I go 200 and 400 respectively.

Fuel consumption will vary depending on how much load is on the engine, so the factory guide lists this:

No load = .11 GPH (gallons per hour)
1/2 load = .48 GPH
Full load = 1.01 GPH

Hope that helps....
I am using way more than that. I have been watching it since you gave me this info and checking every race to see what it is using. Basically what I have been doing is carrying fuel with me and filling the totor up at the track (it runs off one of the truck tanks) before starting the generator and then filling it again when I am done. The last 2 Saturday nights the generator ran from around 5PM to 11 PM. The biggest load all night was when I had the battery charger, weather station, and 1 fluorescent light over the bench in the trailer running. Nothing on in the toter, not even the refridgerator. Most of the time the battery charger only runs for less than 10 min between runs while I have the fans and pump running to cool the car. In 6 hours it burned right at 10 gallons the first night and almost 11 last Saturday night. I thought maybe I had a stuck injector or something so I did oil analysis to see if there was fuel in the oil and everything came back OK. It does not seem to smoke other then very briefly when first started. And runs great just uses a lot of fuel. Any ideas or should I just not worry about it. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Rob,
Does the generator sound like it has a load on it? Do you have access to a amp meter to measure the load at each circuit breaker? It sounds like there is a load on it from something else, other than what you have described. You could turn off circuit breakers one at a time and listen for the generator to unload, if something is drawing from it. I can run my A/C and everything in the trailer for close to 20hrs continuously on 15 gallons. I have a Onan Marquis Gold 7500.

Good Luck
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Rob,
Does the generator sound like it has a load on it? Do you have access to a amp meter to measure the load at each circuit breaker? It sounds like there is a load on it from something else, other than what you have described. You could turn off circuit breakers one at a time and listen for the generator to unload, if something is drawing from it. I can run my A/C and everything in the trailer for close to 20hrs continuously on 15 gallons. I have a Onan Marquis Gold 7500.

Good Luck
Sean
I will try shutting off circuit breakers and see what happens. I got a meter and will try that too. I figured it was just a fuel pig untill I started talking to another guy with the same generator. Does not seem to act like its under load but if its had a problem since new maybe I just never noticed and thought it sounded normal. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Rob,
Have you had any luck with the generator? A few weeks ago I measured what mine burned in one day. This was with A/C running, fans, computers, tv, battery charger and 110 vac pump and chiller running for 8 hrs straight. 7 gallons. It surprised me that it did not use more fuel than that.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Tar Heel

We just purchased our first RV; also have never owned a generator. The motorhome is a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS with an Onan 4000. The generator has 800 hours on it but the RV only had 9,000 miles. Upon delivery (when we got home) even though we tested everything the generator would start fine, run for 5 minutes, and then die. The dealership put a new carburetor AND fuel pump on it at no charge to us. Seems to run perfectly now.

We plan, of course, to change oil regularly and use it a little more (I've read it's bad to let them sit) but my question is how many hours can I expect out of this generator before it needs replaced or major service?

Thanks.

Wendy & Scott