HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 965 Times in 63 Posts
Default no more blocking

as Dave pointed out in the "new rules" thread below, everyone may have missed the biggest change of them all. Blocking, blinding, whatever you want to call it, is a done deal.

In General Regulations, 7:8 Windshield, Windows, the entire section reads exactly as it did in the 2007 rulebook...EXCEPT for the last sentence, which reads "The use of any temporary or permanent shielding that obstructs the driver's vision (ie: blinders, staging aids) that are attached to, but not limited to, the helmet or window shield are prohibited".

If you're a stock eliminator racer, I would think you would be thrilled with the changes made for next year. No buttons, no blocking, no crutches...look out the windshield at the WHOLE tree and mash the gas when you think you should...truely a "footbrake" deal.

As for me, I was fine with things the way they were...and I am fine with things the way they are now...

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Default Re: no more blocking

It says helmet or window, it does not state visor .... it all depends on how you interpet the rules ...
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 965 Times in 63 Posts

it also says "not limited to". I think that will cover attaching something to one's visor. If you can block out what you want with the factory sun visor, go for it...but the days of hanging a 4x8 sheet of plywood up are over...

Folks wanted a grass roots footbrake class...

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I think that's a good thing... but moreso pertaining to bracket racing. At least in the Carolinas, there are guys with two huge sections of duct tape on the windshield. I'm surprised they haven't run over somebody in the pits. Although we appreciate people supporting Duck Tape brand duct tape, there are a million other uses for it.

Factory sunvisors are fine, IMO.

Kinda surprising (or not) that they wrote another ambiguous rule, though, isn't it? Wouldn't it have been easier to state nothing other than factory sunvisors and factory helmet visors permitted, if that's what they wanted?

Maybe now that the rules are so much closer to Footbrake, maybe a few more Stockers will support events like the World Footbrake Challenge. Everybody that wants to race for "big money"... $10K, $50K, $10K at Bristol, Memorial Weekend. Pre-Enter by Feb. 1 to get 3-day entry plus 1 crew in for $675. Flyer:http://www.staginglight.com/customers/wfc08.jpg There's a big 3-day Footbrake deal coming to Piedmont July 4th weekend, too.

Last edited by Michael Beard; 12-08-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

So let me get this straight.

NHRA thinks they have figured out how to keep the truely great racers from winning.

I think even if they limited the number of National meets to 6 and took away the prize money - maybe you guys (langs, zane, rambo, biondos, and others) would stop racing but that would not stop you from winning when you did race.

Talented and more experienced people will be better than average people. Maybe the list of talented people will get bigger now - time will tell.

I hope kids like Andy (and others) will learn what is important in life, as well as in racing.

Honesty, integrity, effort and friendship.

Last edited by Andys dad; 12-08-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Andys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Beach View Post
It says helmet or window, it does not state visor .... it all depends on how you interpet the rules ...

Nope, it's very clear.....no interpretation room at all.

Here is the whole sentence
"....The use of any temporary OR permanent shielding that obstructs the driver's vision (i.e. blinders, staging aids) that are attached to, but not limited to, the helmet or window shield are prohibited."

I take "window shield" to mean my O.E. "sun visor".

I'm thinking this is really aimed at Connolly, Line and the other Pro racers that have their helmet shields almost completely taped over, but interesting that they are including devices attached to the cars.....

They've made the rear view mirror rules pretty narrow too, nothing but O.E. types mounted in a conventional manner.....

The entire rulebook has has a make over in wording and terms....those that might bracket race should be studying especially carefully.

Speaking of big money bracket races that Stock and Super Stock guys should run, don't forget the 1st No-Box Nationals presented by Triple O Promotions May 3&3, 2008 at Bunker Hill Dragstrip.....2 $10K's on the 1/8th mile for a $250 pre-entry fee. http://perfectrun.com/ipw-web/bullet...ic.php?t=10307

Last edited by Dave Goob Cook; 12-08-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Shamless plug of the bracket event.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I wonder if you can hold your hand up and block the tree that way, or will some one complain that they want both hands on the wheel no matter what? Getting stupid fast in this sport...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Some footbrake classes in the deep south require both hands on the steering wheel. At other tracks, I've seen hands or people holding playing cards to block the tree. Is it stupid that they allow that, stupid that they don't allow that, stupid that a driver needs to do that, or stupid that a driver doesn't do that?

I remember when NHRA Div. 1 legalized delay boxes in Super Pro, but they had a variance in the top bulb. Jim Harrington won the event in Tom Dauber's dragster, blocking the tree with one hand, and letting go of the button off the bottom with his other hand... Yep, leaving with no hands on the wheel in an 8-sec dragster. I think they also had a rule in those days for "a maximum of 8 sq. inches of tape on the windshield."

Seemingly silly rules are written because somebody did something... my favorite is on a Halloween costume, "WARNING: Cape does not enable user to fly."
Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 944 Times in 260 Posts

I hopr that they don`t require both hands on the steering wheel, could be kinda tough on us 4 speed guys!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
William Koski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Idiotic!

The rule making has now gone from somewhat justifiable rules to total idiocy!
How could someone that came up with this possibly provide a sensible reason for the rule?
How many whiners do you suppose it took before they got sick of listening to them and decided to give in to them? Squeaky wheels!!!!!!!!!!!
Big splotches of tape on the windshield is one thing but two little pieces of cardboard put on in the staging lanes, one blocking part of the hood and one about 3" wide on the visor and usually taken down before I turn off of the track, certainly can't be classified a safety risk!
I've bit my tongue long enough, this is the straw that broke the camels back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
William Koski is offline   Reply With Quote