HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Old school slapper bars and stick shift

I cannot recall what the Waldo's ran in their Mustangs.
Nevertheless, if I recall, Jim Waldo ran slapper bars on his Mustang and that car hit hard in the starting line and ran fast.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #12
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Sounds like you need different tires as well. This sounds like a real torque beast. What gearing, clutch and trans? Launch rpm? If you added a hundred cubes and a stick, most of the things that worked before will have to be re-evaluated.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
rustang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It made 540hp at 5600 and something like 520ft-lbs at 4500. It had a centerforce clutch that it was driving through. We just put a McLeod long style...forget the clutch disc off the top of my head.

Now the clutch is working well but the tires are blowing away bad.

I found an old pair of QA1's single adjustable on my shelf and we're going to try them this weekend. I never ran them, but at their highest setting they're very tight! He ordered some shock extensions, as it looks like the suspension is extending about 1" more than the shocks will allow.
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Calvert's Shocks are Rancho's but with his name on them. Since Ranchos are truck shocks there's no Mustang specific listing but he will give you the correct ones. They are listed for the front of some Import 4x4 as I recall.

The shocks will help but unless the front end has the usual mods you're probably fighting a loosing battle here. Even CalTracs won't be a fix all unless you have an adjustable clutch like a SoftLok. I have tried and done most everything and still can't leave much more than 4500 and I consider a 1.42 60' as being decent. My 390 ran a 10.18 @ 132.25 last year which tell me I need to leave harder.

And I agree with the others about tires. Don't think what you buddy has will get the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	39544  
Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
rustang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post

The shocks will help but unless the front end has the usual mods you're probably fighting a loosing battle here. Even CalTracs won't be a fix all unless you have an adjustable clutch like a SoftLok. I have tried and done most everything and still can't leave much more than 4500 and I consider a 1.42 60' as being decent. My 390 ran a 10.18 @ 132.25 last year which tell me I need to leave harder.
That 'stang is awesome!

The front suspension is a bit of a mystery at the moment. It's one of those coil over conversions...can't remember the name..want to say Kodiak but that's not right.

Anyhow after the first time he took it to the track I noticed there wasn't much front end travel. We got to looking and he had them installed with a spacer in the wrong place. The travel was 2"...after we corrected it, it was more like 4". Still, it seems lacking. I think the spring rate might be all wrong for drag racing, and the front still doesn't move much.
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote