HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile The First "Hemi Cuda"?

I was looking at some old video footage on Youtube of the '65 Winternationals and the US Nationals,, and I noticed shots of the original "Hemi Under Glass" '65 Barracuda, and also the "Pandemonium" exhibition Barracuda and I got to wondering who was the first to bring out a Hemi powered "Cuda" back in the day. I know Richard Petty had his 43 JR. Hemi drag Cuda on the March '65 cover of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated, and figuring in magazine lead times back then, I'm thinking that car had to hit the track in late'64.
If any of the old timers have any info, or if someone can research this, lets hear it. Its going to be hard to confirm a car appearing earlier than Lee and Richard Petty's little blue fastback, but I've been wrong before. So, if you know,,let us know too.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Steve1118

Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: The First "Hemi Cuda"?

I'm thinking one of the very first would be Fred Goeske's "Plymouth Dealer Association" 65 Cuda out of SoCal. It was a rear engined fuel funny car on nitro....I have a framed ND (my first ND) dated March 1965 with a headline of Goeske running a high 8 et at a match race at Half Moon Bay in California.

If my memory serves me right, I also think that Tom McEwen drove that car for a while. Now that I look at it, McEwen was the first driver, crashed the car, and sold it to Goeske. I have a pic of it taken in late 66...if I can figure out how to do it I'll post it.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Fred Goeske.bmp (452.5 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by Steve1118; 04-08-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: additional text
Steve1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: The First "Hemi Cuda"?

Steve,,I remember when Goose and Goeske ran that car,although I never saw it in person. It was in my car mags back in the day. It was a cool ride alright.
Thanks for responding.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Saw that Cuda driven by McEwen with the engine out back and also saw Goeske a load. I liked Goeske's ride better, that thing ran real well at Lions and "The County."

SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip.......I'll take one chili tamale please!
SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I was looking at some old video footage on Youtube of the '65 Winternationals and the US Nationals,, and I noticed shots of the original "Hemi Under Glass" '65 Barracuda, and also the "Pandemonium" exhibition Barracuda and I got to wondering who was the first to bring out a Hemi powered "Cuda" back in the day. I know Richard Petty had his 43 JR. Hemi drag Cuda on the March '65 cover of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated, and figuring in magazine lead times back then, I'm thinking that car had to hit the track in late'64.
If any of the old timers have any info, or if someone can research this, lets hear it. Its going to be hard to confirm a car appearing earlier than Lee and Richard Petty's little blue fastback, but I've been wrong before. So, if you know,,let us know too.
Danny Durham
Okay, I don’t know if this will help or not, but I was at the inaugural SpringNationals at Bristol in 1965. I had just graduated from high school so you can so the math and determine if I am a “old timer” or not.

The Hurst Hemi Under Glass was there and I thought it was making is first runs in public. I know I about dumped when it did made its first run and got up on the back bumper. There was no such thing as “wheelstanders” at the time.

Richard Petty was there with the 43jr Hemi Barracuda and I don’t think it was that car’s first time out. It was towed on a open trailer behind a big Dodge truck with a van body. It had a spare Hemi in the back wrapped in a clear plastic bag. I was impressed.

Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I believe the original 1965 Barracuda 43 Petty drag car was buried in the woods on their property after it was destroyed in an accident. Here's a thread from a few years ago.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=419326

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 08-26-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

The Petty's buried everything on their property. I was lucky enough to meet Dale Inman a few years ago, there was some confusion about where the famous Darlington crash car was, he flipped it like 12 times. Dale pointed to a place in the parking lot and said, "That car is buried under that building" there is no saving it. We buried everything back then because we didnt want the technology getting out.
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Steve1118

Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

When Petty crashed the Cuda drag car, it wound up in the stands and a young boy lost his life. As I understand it, it was buried right away, never repaired. Richard never drove a drag car again, as far as I known.

I don't know where that happened, down south somewhere. Maybe one of you guys know?
Steve1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
MEMORIES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a pic a friend of mine took at Bristol in 1965.

Wayne.

MEMORIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Here's a couple shots of the cars talked about above and what happened to them.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 08-26-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote