Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #81
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Class win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
I didnt think I would need legal counsel for this thread, but i guess I was wrong again. Mike I think you should get the gest of what i was trying to say. I will go back to racing and leave the bench racing to you. Hope to pair up against you in the future. Happy Holidays

I disagree with you therefore have your lawyer call mine at BR549, thank you.

JimR
Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #82
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Rich,

Don't know where you raced in the '60's but I raced class at Atco NJ and ran a 6 cyl Valiant 225 4 speed and sometimes there would be 10 cars in the class and at others only one.

You're saying that it's my fault that the others did not show up to race that night I should not be allowed to win my class and get my $5.00 trophy.....ridiculous! Atco thought it was also...I would get my class trophy and was allowed to race ( by being a class winner) in Jr Stock Eliminator....why....because I entered, paid my money and made my single pass for a class win. It is not my fault the other guys didn't show up that night.

JimR
I was not talking about racing 40 years ago!......I am talking about racing today.....There are way to many classes and too few cars in many of them.
'
I raced at Island in the '60s and we had Cups or Bucks......Serious cars ran Bucks and the rest ran Cups.....

There was never that many cars in any class...cups or bucks in the era I raced in at Island or anywhere else other than a big Jr Stocker race somewhere....not for any regular weekly race.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 12-29-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #83
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I was not talking about racing 40 years ago!......I am talking about racing today.....There are way to many classes and too few cars in many of them.
'
I raced at Island in the '60s and we had Cups or Bucks......Serious cars ran Bucks and the rest ran Cups.....

There was never that many cars in any class...cups or bucks in the era I raced in at Island or anywhere else other than a big Jr Stocker race somewhere....not for any regular weekly race.....

I'm sorry,

But I thought it was you that said, " (In) The old days (it) was always class winners and low qualifiers" and " I entered a number of national events in my old days in Jr stock and Stock and Super stock" or "I raced at (the) Island in the '60s ('60's) and we had cups or bucks...."

That wasn't you?

Then or now, it makes no difference. If you race in a legal class you should get the trophy and the class win....period.

JimR
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #84
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

To many classes Jim and to many cars making bye runs for a class trophy.
Why can't you get the message? I am pushing for more headsup runs not less......More cars in a class means more heads up runs, fewer winners and those that win deserve the awards.....LIKE it was 40 years ago!

NHRA decided to seperate FI cars from carbureted cars for a few years. Now they are combined again. They could do the same thing with other classes. Some people would be hurt, some people would be helped.......Thats the nature of the category!

My view is real simple......All of the classes are based on arbitrary HP to weight figures and just look at today as an example. New cars with rediculously low HP ratings and NHRA accepts this......What Stocker from the muscle car era could ever hope to run with cars that are going 140 mph....None is the answer and some just got more HP........

Stock Class racing is a far cry from 40 years ago...not even close!

Either make it reasonably fair or make it a purely bracket format and drop the sham of Class racing.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 12-30-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #85
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Class win

Quote:
Why can't you get the message? I am pushing for more headsup runs not less......More cars in a class means more heads up runs, fewer winners and those that win deserve the awards.....LIKE it was 40 years ago!

NHRA decided to seperate FI cars from carbureted cars for a few years. Now they are combined again. They could do the same thing with other classes. Some people would be hurt, some people would be helped.......Thats the nature of the category!

My view is real simple......All of the classes are based on arbitrary HP to weight figures and just look at today as an example. New cars with rediculously low HP ratings and NHRA accepts this......What Stocker from the muscle car era could ever hope to run with cars that are going 140 mph....None is the answer and some just got more HP........

Either make it reasonably fair or make it a purely bracket format and drop the sham of Class racing.....
I agree and put the NEW Blown Mustangs and Challengers in Super Stock where they belong. Have any of you looked at the intake manifolds and throttle bodies on the new Challengers? Looks like S/S parts to me and why even consider the new Mustangs with a blower a stocker at those speeds they have been turning? OK flame away.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 12-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #86
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hold on a minute.....Im looking for my matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
I agree and put the NEW Blown Mustangs and Challengers in Suer Stock where they belong. Have any of you looked at the intake manifolds and throttle bodies on the new Challengers? Looks like S/S parts to me and I why even consider the new Mustangs with a blower a stocker at those speeds they have been turning? OK flame away.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #87
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:

Rich. Do you know how many stock classes there were 40 years ago?
Do you know how many there are right now?
Please share this info.
LOL LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #88
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

It's obvious from most of these posts that many are debating their own agendas, has anyone offered up the answer to the post? Single car class wins are and as far back as I can remember always have been a part of it. The .5 under stipulation seems to be the "catch" that has everyone up in arms. So what are you gonna do different if say they lower it .3 for class win? And while we're at it what will be your response if it's still .5 under? Are you going to go spend some money, rework your combo, quit? I really don't see the point to all this banter, especially until there is some sort of official word from NHRA. Do we need fewer classes....maybe, however this most likely will lead to less participation...fewer classes = fewer "fast cars" in the class= more guys giving up. This is just my opinion of course yours may vary. Joe
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #89
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Please check the Poll on S and SS changes.... People should be rewarded for winning class, Setting records to again reward hard work and competitive work as well as being able to Dial in a car. That was the part that Started Racing and maybe if rewarded again more class interest could be generated from the racers.. A S or SS champion should be based on ALL facets of racing. Decreasing the numbers of classes by multiple methods could help also encourage the competitive work on the combo attitude.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #90
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Rich. Do you know how many stock classes there were 40 years ago?
Do you know how many there are right now?
Please share this info.
LOL LOL

Ok Art you got me there. I did my math and come up with 44 classes in 1969
and it looks like 51 today. I forgot that EFI as well as some other classes must have been combined.

My brain was thinking there was more......

I am not a Stock racer anymore and never have been a devout member of that fraternity. I like Stock....I like Super Stock.....always have always will but I also like racing in general and have participated in most all the categories.

My opinion is just that, my opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. I would like to see better racing and not bye runs. When I am at a Lucas type race I always watch Stock and Super Stock some even though I don't race either class. They run Class at a few races and it is still very cool to see when there is a real good race. I even have a class winner plaque from the Dutch in 2006 or 2007. It was awarded to the car who went the fastest. I did not feel I earned it as I did not race anyone and probably would not have won it if we raced for it and others set up their car on kill........I built that car to try and rekindle my desire to run the class....it didn't work for me so I sold it.......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 12-30-2009 at 12:25 PM.