HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #61
V M Kauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: NHRA regulates off track behavior.........

The next thing NHRA will want to do is Run the Buggy Races on Amish Mafia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Wow.. Great vid! Lol

Backs up what I said.
NHRA blew an opportunity!
Need to get more progressive modern thinkers.

Won only one NHRA points meet.
Took home almost $2000 in 1983.

Insurance rates are sky high. Which does not help!

D
V M Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #62
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

R J and Jeff you get it.
This show is actually getting young men and women talking about cars again. Some will now hear on the radio about the events that have always been advertised and now visit whether being NHRA, IHRA, PDRA, etc....
It's not easy to get people off their butts and out of the house. Might even race a test n tune now they are looking things up thru google, yahoo etc.
It's a reality show, with cars you and I all recognize. And on when families can watch togerther. I bet many dads had cars in their youth and can now tell their kids and maybe even get involved in this slowly fading motorsport.
I like the idea of advertising on Mondays by NHRA, but they missed the idea, maybe rethink this.
ps, as said previously, tracks are hiring the SO's and packing them in for appearances. Best news I've heard in a long time as all we hear are closings lately.
NHRA, I hope you get some motorheads at the helm and come up w a game plan to help our sport, not split it up.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #63
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Klein View Post
Should know better than getting into a pissing match with Hagen, but its 5 degrees and I'm bored....so we should paint with a broad brush all the movie car chase movies and actors? Newman in Bullitt, Hackman in French Connection, etc....I guess moviegoers are pavlov's dogs, panting to hit the streets and emulate screen scenes? Beyond harsh to make a questionable point

hit send? yes
hit send no?
hit send.......
HAHA, come on Randall, its not too harsh. I've seen first hand on my CT scanner what street racing does to people.... multiple times. That's why I feel so strongly about it. I've bet you've never seen a 16 y/o girl die while you're trying to save her because her boyfriend thought he was Paul Walker. When you see that, come talk to me about how street racing isn't that big of a deal.

Paul Walker made a living off of glamorizing street racing. Millions off of it. He was the main actor in 7 films that were all about street racing. NOTHING MORE... it wasn't 1 single movie. He bred street racing and died doing it. He got exactly what he was asking for. You race on the street, you're an idiot with zero respect for society. You glamorize it, I want nothing to do with you, and NHRA sees it that way too. I don't want my racetrack filled with a bunch of criminals.

Last edited by Hagen Gary; 02-19-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #64
lvd2340

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to lvd2340 Send a message via Yahoo to lvd2340

NHRA definitely had every right to do what they did. But it appears to have blown up in their face in a very bad way. What it's done it created a firestorm of hatred from the shows fans towards NHRA, the same fans NHRA needs to watch their shows, attend their races. The internet blew up from this yesterday. The show, which already has 2 to 2-1/2 million viewers a week, will probably now have their best rated show ever this coming week. I think the fans better relate to the drivers and cars of the show than the pros of NHRA. It's a WWE version of racing.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #65
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: NHRA regulates off track behavior.........

You know all that fine print that you are supposed to read before you sign anything? The OKC boys should have read it a little better on their NHRA applications.

Yes, they were on Sweitzer Road right outside RT66. I have heard that the people at RT66 were none too happy about it either. They were racing there because the OKC boys spent all day Friday arguing about racing on Doty Road where they were originally permitted for. They raced on Sweitzer on Halloween night 2013. Yes, since Dave lost it was almost 1-1/2 years until the episode aired. What you saw was highly edited too.

Anyway, the NHRA is completely within their rights to draw a line in the sand here. It may not be the best way to handle it, but it is legal. The OKC boys will not be the first or last ones to lose their privileges because of off track behavior. They just won't be able to run at any NHRA tracks.

Funny, I would think that as much as they rag on "track racers" they wouldn't have comp licenses anyway. LOL!
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #66
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

When I was 17 we all street raced on a road that led to a manufacturing plant. Of course we got arrested, we were all charged with aiding and abetting an illegal race not a moving violation but a misdemeanor.

Long story short. One of the kids brought in a lawyer and he proved that it was a PRIVATE road and the State had no authority there unless the owner complained...we were all let go.

SO race on a private road which seems to be on an airport! With the owners permission and a bunch of paperwork I'm sure. Whether you like these guys or not the only people in danger are themselves.

I can understand the NHRA's position and the answer is simple....cover up your number when you race!

I wonder how many of us started street racing with our street car before moving to legal racing. Hell, I'm still the first one across the street at a red light.

JimR
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #67
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

In my opinion NASCAR has created more dangerous driving as viewers watch door-handle-to-door-handle drafting inches apart,drafting and squeezing into line...and then bad crashes where drivers walk away

I see it every day in commuting as "me first" amatuers race ahead and squeeze into line

Remember '60's drivers ed classes, 1 car length for every 10 MPH....if you did that today you might as well backup to your starting location

NASCAR wanna bees in Kia's and Hondas can't wait to get ahead in traffic and usually you wind up side by side at the next light

There's plenty of blame to go around: race car emulating, lack of courtesy "safer cars" makes everyone think they can walk away, or they just ain't thinking

Like the saying goes, it ain't the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop

Geez, I need to go to the races....and soon
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #68
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of u that want to put the show down; n not want to be associated with it, well apparently a lot of manufactures don't feel the same way. there is no shortage of parts being seen on the show n on the backs of the SO members. So it seems that they must not agree with u or NHRA on the subject or they wouldn't have their names associated with them or the show. I enjoy it the show for what it is entertainment.
69ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #69
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen Gary View Post
HAHA, come on Randall, its not too harsh. I've seen first hand on my CT scanner what street racing does to people.... multiple times. That's why I feel so strongly about it. I've bet you've never seen a 16 y/o girl die while you're trying to save her because her boyfriend thought he was Paul Walker. When you see that, come talk to me about how street racing isn't that big of a deal.

Paul Walker made a living off of glamorizing street racing. Millions off of it. He was the main actor in 7 films that were all about street racing. NOTHING MORE... it wasn't 1 single movie. He bred street racing and died doing it. He got exactly what he was asking for. You race on the street, you're an idiot with zero respect for society. You glamorize it, I want nothing to do with you, and NHRA sees it that way too. I don't want my racetrack filled with a bunch of criminals.
You don't happen to have the letter NHRA sent to the producers of Fast and Furious?

I understand NHRA not wanting to be associated with the show. Maybe they could of wrote the letter stating so and to please remove any decals or window numbers relating to NHRA. This would have kept them out of lawsuit way and not pee everyone off.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 02-19-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: more
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #70
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Representing this as "their rights are being taken away" is a distortion. Nobody's rights are being threatened by NHRA's action. The racer in this incident can still carry on his life as he wishes even if it includes continuing to participate in illegal street racing. However, it is not a right to belong to NHRA, race at an NHRA event, or participate in the NHRA in any way. Private organizations do this kind of action all the time. Ask Michael Vick, Ray Rice, Pete Rose, Mike Tyson or any other of the many sports figures whose activities in their private life has affected their role in their respective sports organizations. I'm with NHRA on this one.
You got this RIGHT.....Thanks Dwight !!
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote