HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts
Default Another Question About 2-Steps

Forgive me if this is a silly question but I'm new to this class racing and I guess I'm not too shy to ask a silly question... How do you wire a 2-step in a stocker?? I have ran one for years in my SST car and wired it off the TB. But if I read the rules right a 2-step must be activated from either the clutch or brake pedal.... Is it done by break pressure or actually off the pedal itsself??? If its done by pressure is it the fronts or rears???? And what pressure do you use?? Thanks Mack
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Bruno 3776

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Question About 2-Steps

I my dad's car, we drilled the brake pedal on the lower right hand side and added the button to the pedal. His car has a large brake pedal so it made it easy to do however you just have to be careful when you depress the pedal at the top end not to hit the button.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Talking Re: Another Question About 2-Steps

I have not put one on my car yet. But there is two different ways to mount the switch. Either on the brake pedal like stated above or a pressure switch T-ed into the front brake line. Either way I would put a switch on the shifter that is in series with the switch on the pedal, so that the button for the two step only works in low gear. That way when you are slowing down at the line or the turn off you do not activate the two step again. Mack by the way what track is your home track? SGMP?

Robert

Last edited by Robert Simpson; 03-17-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Add comment
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Jared Jordan

Liked 224 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

Some guys use a brake pressure activated switch. One SS car I know of had a 1000 psi switch. Didn't have to worry about activating it at the finish line that way. You'd never be on the brakes that hard and if you were, the 2 step activating would be the least of your problems.

I've also seen a couple guys use a microswitch mounted on the shifter that disables the 2-step when the 1-2 shift is made.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Mack Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I have not put one on my car yet. But there is two different ways to mount the switch. Either on the brake pedal like stated above or a pressure switch T-ed into the front brake line. Either way I would put a switch on the shifter that is in series with the switch on the pedal, so that the button for the two step only works in low gear. That way when you are slowing down at the line or the turn off you do not activate the two step again. Mack by the way what track is your home track? SGMP?

Robert
Robert, I race there, Gainesville and Orlando.... Don't really call any of them my "home track". But if I had to name one it would be SGMP... Just because I have raced there more.....

I understand about the switch on the shifter for only 1st gear but what if you have the auto shift valve body and you start with your shifter in 3rd and just the valve body does the shifting??
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Mack Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Jordan View Post
Some guys use a brake pressure activated switch. One SS car I know of had a 1000 psi switch. Didn't have to worry about activating it at the finish line that way. You'd never be on the brakes that hard and if you were, the 2 step activating would be the least of your problems.

I've also seen a couple guys use a microswitch mounted on the shifter that disables the 2-step when the 1-2 shift is made.
I like the pressure switch idea and you are right if you are on the brakes that hard at the top end you need a 2 step kicking in!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts

We do not use them but we have seen some stock guys just put a switch on two step and activate it by hand in high gear. That
would work with stock shifter. Just do not forget to turn it off. Most of guys I have seen use ford brake light switch. Guessing more like 10-20 psi. John Irving
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Reeves View Post
Forgive me if this is a silly question but I'm new to this class racing and I guess I'm not too shy to ask a silly question... How do you wire a 2-step in a stocker?? I have ran one for years in my SST car and wired it off the TB. But if I read the rules right a 2-step must be activated from either the clutch or brake pedal.... Is it done by break pressure or actually off the pedal itsself??? If its done by pressure is it the fronts or rears???? And what pressure do you use?? Thanks Mack
I dono Mack, my "understanding" is in Stock you cant be able to access it by hand so, brake switch, I do have someone who has the adjustable brake pressure units, Im sure others do too, but them for sure, lemme know Ill drop you their #.

Im "thinking" what would be the most FUN is to hook one to a "key remote" and pass it around the pits, with a BIG Label DONT PRESS THIS BUTTON, and see how long it takes before youre up ended in the staging lanes.

Kinda like my buddy who washed the dog put its electric collar in his shorts then his wife asked him to go buy milk....oooooooouuuuuucccchh.

Im setting mine up on the brake pedal, Ive been told why not to, but thats Ok, Ill live with it, Ive got a switch I can adjust the throw on so, I can set it for "touch" Our 2 step will also actuate on a "circuit open" so....thats one of the reasons why.

Now for the burnout limiter to keep us coming out of the water at over 8k
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Mine is above the pedal and what I do is I pump the pedal up to the pressure I want then bump into the beams and roll my toes up onto the switch to activate the 2 step. I use a B&M trans brake switch with the big red button. To mount the button I bolted a piece of 2X2 angle aluminum to the pedal and drilled a hole in it for the button. Its up high enough that you can still hit the brakes without worry of hitting the button at the finish line but not so high that its hard to reach with your toes when staging. If you PM me your email I will try and send you a couple of pics to get a better idea of how I did it if you want. You can share them here if you want too I just have not got the picture posting deal figured out yet.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote