HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default 8 point roll bar comparison

Looking to purchase a roll bar for my Firebird, want some opinions from any that have installed one. Before we start, I know S&W is a sponcer of the site. I'm not putting a Chrome Moly bar in this thing. I'm looking at their "EWS" kit.

Am looking for a comparison of the S&W roll bar against the Jeg's kit. I know both offer a kit that allows you to retain the back seat, as well. I intend to leave the back seat in place. I have a good feeling I want to retain the rear weight, a late model F-body is nose heavy, want to push as much weight toward the rear as I possibly can.

I have heard many good things regarding the fit and finish of the S&W roll bars. A kicker here, my partner works in Columbus, Ohio frequently. So, in essence, I can purchase a Jeg's kit and pay no freight or shipping. So, unless these two kits are worlds apart, I have to put this in the consideration column because that's money that can be concentrated elseware.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 8 point roll bar comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Looking to purchase a roll bar for my Firebird, want some opinions from any that have installed one. Before we start, I know S&W is a sponcer of the site. I'm not putting a Chrome Moly bar in this thing. I'm looking at their "EWS" kit.

Am looking for a comparison of the S&W roll bar against the Jeg's kit. I know both offer a kit that allows you to retain the back seat, as well. I intend to leave the back seat in place. I have a good feeling I want to retain the rear weight, a late model F-body is nose heavy, want to push as much weight toward the rear as I possibly can.

I have heard many good things regarding the fit and finish of the S&W roll bars. A kicker here, my partner works in Columbus, Ohio frequently. So, in essence, I can purchase a Jeg's kit and pay no freight or shipping. So, unless these two kits are worlds apart, I have to put this in the consideration column because that's money that can be concentrated elseware.
The S&W kit fit perfectly in my Neon. I'm running mild steel not chormemoly.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Doug Domm

Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts

I couldn't be happier with the S&W fit in my Chevelle. I added the kit with the rear bars through the parcel shelf. So easy a caveman could do it! Trust me this kit was dead easy to make look custom fit. Doug
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Proper fitting and welding is the major part of the cost. It will be hard to route the bars to optimal points and retain the rear seat. Why not put a weight box in the trunk if you need the weight that a seat would add? I would also rethink chrome moly for the same reason. A simple 6 poiint bar will drop from about 75 lb. to about 45 lb. with CM vs. mild. A good chassis shop like S&W could weld either for similar cost. Quality workmanship and welds helps in tech, as might a prestigious name shop. Bars are not certified with stickers so you go through inspection every time.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Weight vs. wallet, and/ or skill level. .........1 5/8....083 CM 1.5 # per foot .....ERW .1 5/8 .134 wall 2.13 # per foot. ............30 % weight savings regardless of number of points of attachment ,all things being equal ........And oh by the way about double the price just for materials,not counting additional time / skill for fitting and welding. ......I just compleated a '56 Chevy Gaser with a S&W ERW cage fit perfectly and the pre notching was very close. ......I TIG all my cages and the .134 tube welds ok , but takes quite a bit more heat. ......Tom

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 03-14-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've used S&W ever since I bought my first roll bar and they have always fit right. Find a good race shop to install it for you to avoid any problems with tech.

JimR
Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Chad E532

Liked 54 Times in 7 Posts

I installed a S&W kit in my '77 Camaro last winter and it was so easy it was fun to install. The tubes were bent perfect and only minor trimming was needed to fit them in. I will use there kits on any project in the future and highly recommend them to anyone who asks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00066.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2640  
Chad E532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Arizona Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No one makes anything for my car (86 Chrysler 5th Ave.). Measured cars @ Brown County, found '74 Duster same interior size. Ordered a 10 point kit from S&W, had local Indy Car fabricator here in Martinsville install it. Fits well. David.
Arizona Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I understood that most of the roll bar kits that are sold are three sizes fit all. if your car is the right size it works great if not it winds up a terrible fit.
This is not the case with S&W their stuff ios made specifically for the car. So it always fits.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I spent a good amount of time speaking with a local fabricator. He's going to custom bend me an 8 point roll bar, also he's going to make the down bars that will allow me to retain the back seat. As well as supply me with the subframe connectors and a driveshaft loop.

It's Jeff Blevins, Checkerd Racing, out of Bedford, Indiana. It's a mild steel roll bar, 1 3/4 x 0.134 tubing. Pricewise he's very competitive, as in he's about the same as a Jegs or an S&W kit sans shipping. In addition, I'm supporting someone local.

Once I start installing it, I'll know how good/bad my decision was.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote