HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Big silly rookie question

I think I'll have my 87 Lancer turbo ready to go Stock racing, and it looks like I'll have to head to a Divisional in ID or BC to run. My big silly question is, how does the whole teching, registering and classifying the car for Stock go? All I've ever done is run sportsman brackets at home. Just wondering what I need to do ahead of time, and what to prepare for at the event. Thanks in advance!
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Re: Big silly rookie question

What combination do you run? Most cars are eligible to run three different classes (it's natural class, up one, and down one). Once you tech in in a particular class, you can not change it. Might want to head to the scales before teching, to see what the car weight is (with driver), to see what adjusments might be needed. Some cars will do "better" in a different class, based on weight and Index.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

As far as what you'll need when you go through tech and registration:

-Your NHRA Stock Competition license and NHRA membership
-Tech card filled out accurately and completely

They will check your helmet, that it meets specs, and for a seatbelt. They may ask to have you open your hood and trunk to look at things (make sure battery is secure, overflow tank of sufficient capacity, etc). Once they OK and pass you, you're done until the first time trial. Like I said earlier, you might want to check the weight at the scales before teching, in case the car is heavier/lighter than you may have thought (all scales can read different). If you can not add/take out enough weight to make that class, you may have the option of moving up or down a class, as long as you can meet the minimum weight with driver.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraceitall View Post
I think I'll have my 87 Lancer turbo ready to go Stock racing, and it looks like I'll have to head to a Divisional in ID or BC to run. My big silly question is, how does the whole teching, registering and classifying the car for Stock go? All I've ever done is run sportsman brackets at home. Just wondering what I need to do ahead of time, and what to prepare for at the event. Thanks in advance!
Well, 1 rookie to another here is how it went in Div 2 in Atlanta

Pay at the gate
Park in pits
Unload car
Drive over to Tech.
Wait your turn
Beg the Tech to be merciful.
Let them show you and tell you what is good, dont say anything just take in info, take notes if need be (my memory can be ****e when thinking about other things)
Make corrections as they suggest (I forgot Push Off Pull On label on wrap) So some masking tape and a marker and voila. I asked for a pretty detailed tech since it was my first one with the Drag Pak Challenger and my first Stock Eliminator build. They said everything looked great.
They asked weight questions, car min, etc, car actual , then told me to run to scale to double check if I wanted to be sure (I was 5 heavy for what I told them, maybe the old man didnt eat breakfast
I had a former tech at the track come out to hang with us, he helped make sure the paperwork was complete and accurate, painless and simple but I had left a section blank I thought they were supposed to fill out, I was wrong. Make sure all your I's are dotted and T;s crossed and ledgible.

Take Tech card to trailer
(In our case we had to get numbers and provisional or temporary liscences) I strongly suggest getting a competiton number before hand (call your div office) but well in our last minute way, Bill Holt took great care of us and was great to us and helped us get everything handled even gave us Div 3 numbers and voila.
They gave me stickers and told me where to locate them on the car for the Div event.

Wait for the Stock Eliminator call, and go to staging lanes, hand them punch card. Let them punch it.

Go stage and run.

In my case the BEAST that was the "Crackin Rosie" 2004 Pacifica, change CD to something good and make a pass....(I used Cruise at 55 but The old man in the DP car, but the tech on the Pacifica was the same , a little easier since it was bone stock

2 Tracks here I run at home, 1 tech consists of, "Hey you only have 4 lugnuts ! Hey next time you come I wanna see 5 next time you show up "Uhhh ok so I cant run until I have 5 ?" "No youre good I said next time" (that actually happened when I was younger.

The other "Your battery and holddown arent legal" Uhhhh... its a BRAND NEW CAR !, Still you have to change it next time ???? Uhhh,....I dont think so.

The point is, Ive been at worse in "Bracket Bombing" tech wise.

The NHRA people were great, I just told them Im new and have no clue.

The other racers were equally helpful , they knew I didnt know and told me anything I asked.

It was painless, except the 13 quarts on oil on the starting line.

hope it helped ?

Just "wing it" people there were great and when doing something wrong they not only told you, but told you how to do it right, and with the honest intent of help....everyone.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
What combination do you run? Most cars are eligible to run three different classes (it's natural class, up one, and down one). Once you tech in in a particular class, you can not change it. Might want to head to the scales before teching, to see what the car weight is (with driver), to see what adjusments might be needed. Some cars will do "better" in a different class, based on weight and Index.
Excellent advice!
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[ Once you tech in in a particular class, you can not change it. Might want to head to the scales before teching, to see what the car weight is (with driver), to see what adjusments might be needed.

Good advice, the first time I teched my chevelle as a stocker, I had issues with weight and went up to the tower to change designations twice. All this effort earned me was a visit from the head tech inspector for verification that me 'velle fit into the claimed class.Double check and recheck your safety equipment as the div 6 guys pay particular attention to those items ,other than that be ready for some schooling! Oh try and get the guy that is smiling he is more likely to have a sense of humor and less likely to take his foul mood out on you!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Jim Cassels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All good advice, don,t forget your fuel check valve.
Jim
Jim Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cassels View Post
All good advice, don,t forget your fuel check valve.
Jim
thats a biggie right there,,with your fuel injected car you can put a shut off valve in place of the schrader valve off the fuel rail gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

Ummm... Your going to have a hard time doing any of the above since your car is not in the classification guide.. Can your car run 10.90?
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Mike Carr
VIP Member

1987 Dodge Lancer is in there. I think the turbo version would be the 135 cid, 146 factory, 160 NHRA-rated motor.