HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default chassis dyno

Can anyone tell me if a chassis dyno multply the torque of the drive train and give you the results are does it some how give you the engine results.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: chassis dyno

It gives power @ wheels ,I know on Dynojet they have setting that after pull put car in neutral and let driveline and dyno drum coast and it calculates % driveline uses. Dynojet told me figure 25% at least. If you have reverse pattern valve body don't attempt going back to neutral.
Mike Taylor3601
I looked at your post again I may have misunderstood your question chassis dyno calculates HP by how fast you accelerate the drum thats how they measure Dynojet has 3500lbs. drum.Engine dyno has whats called torque link attachted to dyno brake which calculates TQ.torque link is stretched and calculates TQ. from amount of stretch of tq link and converts HP from that,Super Flow now calls them load cells.

Last edited by Mike Taylor 3601; 03-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Some chassis dynos measure torque and then calculate HP. The Dynojet measures HP directly, and uses the tach pickup to convert roller speed (which calculates mph) into rpm for torque. The Dynojet can be used for coast-down HP measurements and comparisons of the drag from different things like diff designs (e.g. 12 bolt vs. 9" ford), or lubricants.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

That's what I was trying to say but you did better job.
Mike Taylor3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm curious about this. I have always been under the impression that you can't use a chassis dyno on a car with slicks? I may be completely wrong, since drag slicks grow, they would seem to be unstable on one of these rigs. Or am I completely out in left field?
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Question Re: chassis dyno

I would like to know how a test is conducted on a roller dyno? For example a stocker with a loose converter. How do you run a test with reading down low, 3500rpm, on up with a converter that slips and flashes, etc? The couple operators I have spoken with around here have no idea what I mean, then again they mainly run imports and manuals.
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I would like to know how a test is conducted on a roller dyno? For example a stocker with a loose converter. How do you run a test with reading down low, 3500rpm, on up with a converter that slips and flashes, etc? The couple operators I have spoken with around here have no idea what I mean, then again they mainly run imports and manuals.
I have been there done that. The dyno results were basicly from 5500 up. They gave me the car back so lean at an idle to 5000 It would even start cold, But it made power at the high end.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
I'm curious about this. I have always been under the impression that you can't use a chassis dyno on a car with slicks? I may be completely wrong, since drag slicks grow, they would seem to be unstable on one of these rigs. Or am I completely out in left field?
Some chassis dyno tear up soft rubber slicks.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

I dont know exactly how they work but my bracket car has been on a chassis dyno a bunch of times. Every time with the same Hoosier slicks that I race with at the same pressure I run down the track with and never a problem. I would think if you were trying stuff on the car to find more HP or TQ as long as you did not mess with air pressure it should repeat ok and you would be able to tell if the engine changes made a difference.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astikhossw View Post
Can anyone tell me if a chassis dyno multply the torque of the drive train and give you the results are does it some how give you the engine results.
There are many different types of "Chassis Dyno's" just like engine Dyno's

There are "Inertia" Dynos which guess at HP and Torque based on calculations of what the drum weighs or resistance and how much it takes to do that, some very accuratley

There are "Load Brake" Chassis Dyno's or Hub Dyno's that bolt to the axle like a wheel would, some are Hydraulic Load brake Dynos, just like and engine dyno, these can be "hyperaccurate" as in seeing gap changes, Dynapac is one, and if you look at their site they have a listing of places here in the states that have em, they also have other advantages. You can actually simulate a "Pass" or Full accel ramp, they are also easier on the Chassis and "Safer" do a search on youtube for "Dyno Accidents" some are funny as hell, some very very sad (in loss of iron) These are much more accurate on torque, but calculate HP based on Torque (a mathmateical equation)

There are other types as well, but those are the main 2

Dono if that helps, my limits of knowlege on Car Chassis Dyno's
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote