Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts
Default Re: Steve Sullivan's 88 LX.... Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
Good to see 5.0 Mustang get some recognition for there hard work on a car that is not a soft combo, to make one of these go 1 under is not an over night deal and to keep it going 1 under without going backwards is tough. Steve Congrats on the recognition keep it up.
Amen to that James!! Keep on truckin with your's. It runs great.

Bret Velde
SS/LA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 90 Times in 34 Posts

Hey Tom...guess Joe did advise/remind you Marty's car is indeed a 2.3 litre 4 cylinder turbo car...not meaning in any way to start controversy...BUT Marty's car certainly the fastest fox body Mustang automatic transmission stock eliminator vs INDEX...on the planet...yet again a true testament to his effort...he a great "caballero"...besides being a fine,fine racer !!!...for Brett...do speak with Dave Lindsey regularly...we did this supposed...double throw down trick piece (motor)...hasn't exactly turned out that way...it's basically a .65-.70 under deal on average in decent not great air @ legal NHRA M/SA weight (3180 lbs. w/driver)...kinda' am lost (am not the "smartest" guy ) at present...car is not very repeatable...varies .003-.004 run to run..so we're fooling with fuel system...in meantime...we're running old friend Larry's LX (M/SA)...probably just a tad slower...very basic "aged" combination too...very repeatable though...last two X out...runner-up...@ Carolina Class Racer s Association meet...went 5 rounds @ IHRA Pro Sportsman Race vs. some pretty good competition...so...going to keep testing/working with your X-GT...but...U get the idea...we've got a ways to go !!! Steve way past that both as a M or N car...BUT...for sure...not giving up...just yet...
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Steve Sullivan

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Smile Re: Steve Sullivan's 88 LX.... Article

Drake,
Thanks for the kind words. In regards to '02 & '03 I did indeed have a certain other 5.0 that gave me a run for my money. Let's see, that's about 14 years ago. Bret needs a bumper sticker that says "The older I get, the better I was!" LOL
Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 90 Times in 34 Posts

Hey Steve...all "kudos" to/about you...are well deserved...I enjoy the very "thought" of both your & Bret's "recollection" of 14-15 years ago......@ 69 years old & counting...MANY...days gone by...seem...just a lil' different...than they actually were...!!!...keep up the great work...you've earned it...hope we get to see you one of these days...but living here in Carolinas' now...and at "age"...don't travel a whole lot...stay well...will keep reading about you...in the funny papers Drake
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
sc371f

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great read on a local racer that I grew up watching my dad race with. Always enjoyed talking with Steve. Congrats!

Stan
sc371f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
BRETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKE VISCOME View Post
Hey Tom...guess Joe did advise/remind you Marty's car is indeed a 2.3 litre 4 cylinder turbo car...not meaning in any way to start controversy...BUT Marty's car certainly the fastest fox body Mustang automatic transmission stock eliminator vs INDEX...on the planet...yet again a true testament to his effort...he a great "caballero"...besides being a fine,fine racer !!!...for Brett...do speak with Dave Lindsey regularly...we did this supposed...double throw down trick piece (motor)...hasn't exactly turned out that way...it's basically a .65-.70 under deal on average in decent not great air @ legal NHRA M/SA weight (3180 lbs. w/driver)...kinda' am lost (am not the "smartest" guy ) at present...car is not very repeatable...varies .003-.004 run to run..so we're fooling with fuel system...in meantime...we're running old friend Larry's LX (M/SA)...probably just a tad slower...very basic "aged" combination too...very repeatable though...last two X out...runner-up...@ Carolina Class Racer s Association meet...went 5 rounds @ IHRA Pro Sportsman Race vs. some pretty good competition...so...going to keep testing/working with your X-GT...but...U get the idea...we've got a ways to go !!! Steve way past that both as a M or N car...BUT...for sure...not giving up...just yet...
Hey Drake, Dave keeps me posted on what you guys are doing, keep up the great work. And it sure isn't easier trying to make this combo go fast in Super Stock either!!!

Bret Velde
SS/LA
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
BRETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sullivan View Post
Drake,
Thanks for the kind words. In regards to '02 & '03 I did indeed have a certain other 5.0 that gave me a run for my money. Let's see, that's about 14 years ago. Bret needs a bumper sticker that says "The older I get, the better I was!" LOL
Gave me a run for more money, I think it was the other way around!!! LOL I think I remember I had a tear down buddy too, if my memory isn't failing me, cuz I am getting old!! LOL All kidding aside great article for a great racer.

Bret Velde
SS/LA
Old 07-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
Dallas Kelly

Liked 85 Times in 21 Posts

Congratulations on a well deserved acknowledgement of your accomplishments.
Dallas Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote