Exhaust: 1457
Head cc: 49.5
Rocker Ratio: 1.6

AFR 1399
Intake: 1900
Exhaust: 1600
Head cc: 58

Edelbrock 60217 heads (stamped NHRA Accepted)
Intake: 1900
Exhaust: 1600
Head cc: 60

If valves have to match stock +.005 like the rule book states, then neither of these heads listed as SS replacement heads in the Stock Car Classification Guide can be used without basically remanufacturing them down to factory specs. Why would NHRA approve heads that come either supplied or ready for valves that are too big?

Some posters on this forum make building for stock or super stock way too complicated. I refuse to be deterred.

Dale
You are correct and like I said before, there are no off-the-shelf bolt on parts for the class.

They approved the specific replacement heads because the rules allows you to replace the valve seats in both Stock and Super Stock classes. The rules are very clear that the cylinder heads must maintain stock head and stem size. The spec applies to the combustion chamber size too.

It's not complicated as long as you follow the rules and not subject to interpretation.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #32
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: Choosing a Manifold:SBF

Dale,

Don't give up and/or get discouraged. If it was me, I would put it together with the parts you have and start thrashing. It's usually a long and tedious battle to get the combination working so you have plenty to deal with for now. As you start getting within index range, bite the bullet and switch the components over to legal stuff. The 302 combination that you are looking at is as good as any Windsor out there so it's plenty viable. We don't have such a huge car count in SS that we don't want to discourage new cars being built. If you have questions about rules, Email to Dave Schaffel, he's a good guy and will help you clarify things.

Jim
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote