HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Any Tips for Installing a Trans?

I take delivery of a C4 from TCI today and was wondering if anyone has tips for installing a trans in a car that still has the engine on the stand.

The car is on jack stands with no rear end at the time being. I have a trans adapter for a floor jack, so rolling it under the car from behind is possible. Should I do this or wait until the engine and rear end are complete and bolt it up and install the trans and motor as a unit? I don't have access to a lift and my stands max out at around 20 inches.

It's going on a SBF 302 in a 68 Mustang coupe.

I need to be able to do all of this single handed.

Thanks ahead of time.

Dale
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Any Tips for Installing a Trans?

If it were me, I'd install the trans last.

* Putting it in first, you'd need to keep it supported up front, which may interfere with the engine installation.

* Installing the engine/trans already assembled seems like a pain. I tried installing and/or removing that way a very long time ago and never considered trying it again. But I have heard of some people doing that.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Any Tips for Installing a Trans?

Easily accomplished by yourself if you use one of these... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0767&ppt=C1944

Another... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_19979_19979 One without a crank handle will be slower, but the handle sometimes becomes an impediment at extreme angles...this one would void that scenario using a ratchet/socket.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 07-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Mark Ugrich

Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

I'd put the trans in last. You might want to mock up the engine and transmission.Check clearances and converter to flywheel fitment.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: Any Tips for Installing a Trans?

* I agree with Myron & Mark, put the trans in last ... Keep it simple when you are alone , don't over-load anything you can't handle yourself ???
Get everything else in & then put the trans in , when you can handle it alone from under the car... But smart & you won't get hurt or cost you more $$$$$$$... Good Luck with the project ...
Old 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

A motor with trans attached overloads nothing unless you use defective equipment. You could not "catch" a falling trans or motor by yourself regardless of the situation...use your head and trust the equipment.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Trans last. While it is possible to install the engine with the trans attached, it is hard to do on a Ford with the oil pan in the front. You will wind up having to stand the engine/trans combo almost vertically in order to get the trans into the tunnel and still have the oil pan clear the radiator support. You have to have the hood off and you have to be sure that your cherry picker can actually lift the assembly high enough to get it in. The fact that the front end is high due to lack of engine weight only makes it worse. Trust me, been there, done that, and it is not pretty.

A C4 isn't all that heavy and in my younger days I could bench press it into place, and I am a little guy and do virtually all the work on my car(s) by myself. Now I put it on a floor jack and lift it into place, usually using my legs to pump the handle while guiding with my hands. I would not want to see a You-Tube video of the process. One problem with the trans on a jack is getting the car high enough to get it under the car and clear the bellhousing. A small block bellhousing isn't too bad. My 429 bellhousing is ridiculously tall and I have had to get the trans onto the jack while under the car and that is a major PITA.

Having two guys makes it much, much easier.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Thanks all. I have a 2500 lb hoist and the guy down the street has a load leveler I can borrow. When I sold the stock 302 three of us pulled the engine and trans out in one unit. Actually, only two of us really knew what we were doing. Ever have that happen? didn't think so...

For some reason I never thought of doing the engine first and then the trans, but it seems like a good idea to stabilize the motor and wiggle the trans around to fit.

I just got a call from Strange Engineering and my rear end assembly and brakes are ready to ship. Almost ready to rock and roll. been working on this since last September.

While on the subject of putting things together, any tips on installing long tube headers? I was thinking of laying them in the engine bay over the motor mounts and bolting them up with the engine in place but still chained to the hoist in case I have to move things. Installing them with the motor in looks like it requires removing the motor mounts one at a time and working from under the car.

Ideas? I haven't picked them out yet. Probably Hedman.

Dale
Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: Any Tips for Installing a Trans?

Dale,

I think Fords are like Pontiacs when it comes to installing headers .. When I do them in my firebird , I lay them on the enter fenderwell panels.. Hold them in place with bungee cords, then I drop the motor in between the headers ... Attach the motor mount bolts, then lift the headers in-place & bolt them up to the heads ... That seems to work the best & that's another reason to not try & do everything at once ...
* Bill , is right about not having enough room/ground clearance also...
Take it easy and keep us informed ? Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it AGAIN !!!! Hope this helps ?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

If the car is up high enough, you can usually get enough downward angle to install the engine and trans together. I have done that with 4 speed manuals for decades. The only problem occurs when the engine oil pan has a big sump that is deep and comes very close to the crossmember. In that case you can have the bellhousing area against the firewall hump and the pan against the crossmember.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote