HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #751
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: worst red light debate, again!

I have done this since 1960, and the lower class guys have complained about getting the short end of the stick for something or other as long as I have raced. When we had flagmen, it was 25' per class spot was not enough for the lower class cars, there has always been something.

I'm a slow car here in Div 4 SS, I always leave first. We are running over with 8 second hood scoop cars around here.

If I go red, I know screwed up. I don't care what the other guy does. As I have said before, many guys don't just sit there on the 2 step after the slower car goes red. Why would they? If I'm spotting a slower car, I'm not going to wait to leave if he goes red. Those guys going red when you do does not mean they would have gone red if you had not.

They aren't going to write new software to change a rule for a few unhappy guys. Most of us live with the rules we have. Knew what they were before we started.

Have you lost a lot of races that way? Were they long or short spots?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 08-06-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: still can't type.....
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #752
Casey Miles

Liked 444 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I have done this since 1960, and the lower class guys have complained about getting the short end of the stick for something or other as long as I have raced. When we had flagmen, it was 25' per class spot was not enough for the lower class cars, there has always been something.

I'm a slow car here in Div 4 SS, I always leave first. We are running over with 8 second hood scoop cars around here.

If I go red, I know screwed up. I don't care what the other guy does. As I have said before, many guys don't just sit there on the 2 step after the slower car goes red. Why would they? If I'm spotting a slower car, I'm not going to wait to leave if he goes red. Those guys going red when you do does not mean they would have gone red if you had not.

They aren't going to write new software to change a rule for a few unhappy guys. Most of us live with the rules we have. Knew what they were before we started.

Have you lost a lot of races that way? Were they long or short spots?
Ed, I'm not an unhappy person about the 1st red light, I just look at it that programming can be changed since it couldn't be when they first came up with the xmas tree as a starting device. It's progress, same as the new factory cars in Stock Eliminator.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #753
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
Ed, I'm not an unhappy person about the 1st red light, I just look at it that programming can be changed since it couldn't be when they first came up with the xmas tree as a starting device. It's progress, same as the new factory cars in Stock Eliminator.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock
Good point Casey lol. Ed, actually my friend/teammate Jamie Schoenly GT/KA was -.012 to his opponent's SS/GA -.040 red this weekend at the D1 LODRS so Jamie got the loss. However, I can still accept the fact that his red could have potentially distracted the faster car and caused him to go red also. If the rule was changed the other driver would not have seen the red because the tree divider would extend all the way down. This also gets rid of the whole "why should I stay on my two-step.." because you would never know the other guy red lit until you left the line.

I know this scenario does not affect us but think about a crosstalk race where both drivers leave off the same bulb, why on earth would this not be worst red light? Did the slow car's red distract the fast car's delay box? Faster drivers actually set up a little more conservative on the delay box to take advantage of this.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #754
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Good point Casey lol. Ed, actually my friend/teammate Jamie Schoenly GT/KA was -.012 to his opponent's SS/GA -.040 red this weekend at the D1 LODRS so Jamie got the loss. However, I can still accept the fact that his red could have potentially distracted the faster car and caused him to go red also. If the rule was changed the other driver would not have seen the red because the tree divider would extend all the way down. This also gets rid of the whole "why should I stay on my two-step.." because you would never know the other guy red lit until you left the line.

I know this scenario does not affect us but think about a crosstalk race where both drivers leave off the same bulb, why on earth would this not be worst red light? Did the slow car's red distract the fast car's delay box? Faster drivers actually set up a little more conservative on the delay box to take advantage of this.
Bobby, I don't watch that bracket crap using cross talk. I had no idea how that worked.
Extending the divider couldn't cost that much. Be an easy cure. I always leave first, but never worried about it. Don't remember ever having a double red light round.