HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #51
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 194 Times in 77 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: Pomona fastest ive seen

Congrats to you Leroy on your No. 1 qualifier spot, and I'm glad I got to see you, BJ, and Mike there as well....see ya in less than 3wks in Tucson!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #52
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: Pomona fastest ive seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
That 15.033 I ran in the second session was at my now fastest speed ever with my car of 90.23mph (also first ever 90mph speed)! I only wish I would've had my car set up in the first session as it was in the second (as that 14sec run I was primarily there for eluded me again)!

If that first round could've been run Friday morning instead of Thursday evening, I'd have had a second chance at it. Now, I'll just have to wait until either next year, or we'll see what Phoenix in October (or somewhere else budget willing), might do? I know one thing, the E3's are out and on their way to a landfill while the Rapid Fire's are back in, because I ran 15.014 and a 15.02 in worse air 3yrs ago with them! I'm also jealous of those lucky rnd one winners who had rt.'s that were around my .068. I unfortunately had a 1st rnd opponent who was .008, and dialed his car better than I did! That's racing....
With the type of engine you run your not going to get stellar results in a 28.90 baro, I don't care what the DA says, I do care what the baro says, and a 30.0 plus baro says NA performance. So load up and go to the 30 plus baro and get that 14 sec pass. You would be surprised how many people don't understand Pomona sits at 1000 feet elevation, although it is a down hill track.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 02-10-2019 at 09:37 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #53
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
With the type of engine you run your not going to get stellar results in a 28.90 baro, I don't care what the DA says, I do care what the baro says, and a 30.0 plus baro says NA performance. So load up and go to the 30 plus baro and get that 14 sec pass. You would be surprised how many people don't understand Pomona sits at 1000 feet elevation, although it is a down hill track.
X2,On the west coast take a trip up to scenic BC (Mission).Or go to the east coast.You need a high baro to go fast,but nowadays with the current index's the AHFS is a stumbling block. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #54
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying, and the 30.0 plus baro would probably get me to .7 under my index, or better. However, I was at this track 3yrs ago, and I made two passes in air that was supposed to be worse than Thursday's was, and I came within .21, and .15 seconds of that to date elusive 14sec et. I know it can be done at Pomona, and probably would've been done in the first session if I had my car set up for that run the way I did for the second. My first pass was a 15.12 with a 2.10 60ft. However, my 60ft improved to a 1.95 in the second session, which is why I feel that elusive run would've been had if I had my car set up right. Live and learn, and next time....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #55
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Quote:
I've been curious what tracks in D3 or D1 are best for quick et's against the indexes? I often look at the D3 & D1 videos that "Robzneed4spd", and others cover out there and wonder what my car would run there? God willing, my budget will get good enough to head out that way to race with you guys in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or New England. I was feeling good about Indy, but after what Richie Pauley said about how his car didn't run as quick there as he thought it would, I'm not so sure about Indy until I am able to upgrade my operation and car to be .9 or more under my index. I'd love to race in a 30.0 baro track, but we've had some 29.+ days out here too. You called it though with the altitude of Pomona, so I'd also like to go up northwest to say Woodburn, or Seattle to see what they're like, or possibly Sonoma?
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #56
sst7250

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

Sonoma is going to be the closest place you will see or could see "great air" especially in stock in the early AM runs. With Phoenix being moved to October you can forget about any "great air" days for sure. Be lucky if its not 100 degrees for that race.

I have lived the last four years in the DC area. Those guys see "great air" frequently. The barometer is at or near 30 more often than not from what I saw. We run a heads up car back east and have seen some spectacular air in the early fall and some really wet ugly air in the summer. But even with water grains approaching 135 we have run just as fast back there as out here, the reason they usually have a definite edge in the barometer.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #57
Barry Polley

Liked 538 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
Sonoma is going to be the closest place you will see or could see "great air" especially in stock in the early AM runs. With Phoenix being moved to October you can forget about any "great air" days for sure. Be lucky if its not 100 degrees for that race.

I have lived the last four years in the DC area. Those guys see "great air" frequently. The barometer is at or near 30 more often than not from what I saw. We run a heads up car back east and have seen some spectacular air in the early fall and some really wet ugly air in the summer. But even with water grains approaching 135 we have run just as fast back there as out here, the reason they usually have a definite edge in the barometer.

Or Woodburn..JS..
A late season Nat Open at Sonoma would equate to 30.3 and underground DA.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #58
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post

Thanks for the info and you're not kidding about 100 degrees in October, but I hope it's in the 90's at the hottest this year? Of those states back east, which would you recommend most, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or somewhere else in D1 or D3? However, I look forward to venturing up to Woodburn or Seattle someday to try up there, if Sonoma in July won't help my cause?

As for Barry's comment about Sonoma, since it's only a national open and the D7 entry fee is the same as a divisional w/o points or contingency money being offered as well as a grade point and prize purse, I won't go to them. If D7 were like D5 with lower fees for national opens (especially since points are not part of the equation), then I'd go to one especially here in Az., so I could raise my grade level from 5 to 6. I'm thankful I moved here to Phoenix, so I can run five points races without having to travel more than 330 miles one way.
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #59
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Pomona fastest I've seen

Gary-- a couple things, first, it's been nice meeting and getting to know you and watching what you do.Second, it's good to see you establishing a performance goal for yourself by trying hard to get that rather elusive 14 second pass. It almost happened!Probably going to Woodburn around May or early June would be your best bet, but no Div.6 races are scheduled for that time slot. It would have to be a trip just for the accomplishment of that feat. Mission would possibly be a better trip for you to do that, that track is very low, and very cool most of the time. The first actual 9 second pass in a 9 inch tire stocker occurred there,for historical interest, and if you went to the Div.6 points race, there would be another grade point. Not sure exactly when that one is, will check the schedule later. It's good that you strategically positioned yourself to live in an area where you could bag 5 grade points, but it has always been that a National Open provided us a grade point. If they changed that, a whole lot of racers wouldn't go.I'm planning on Fontana in March for the Open, then in May for the divisional, then whatever the rest of the season provides. I got reamed on taxes gain this year, that cuts into a lot of more worthwhile things, that's for sure. Hope to see you soon at Fontana, and I wish you well.

Last edited by Greg Reimer 7376; 02-25-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #60
Barry Polley

Liked 538 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Thanks for the info and you're not kidding about 100 degrees in October, but I hope it's in the 90's at the hottest this year? Of those states back east, which would you recommend most, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or somewhere else in D1 or D3? However, I look forward to venturing up to Woodburn or Seattle someday to try up there, if Sonoma in July won't help my cause?

As for Barry's comment about Sonoma, since it's only a national open and the D7 entry fee is the same as a divisional w/o points or contingency money being offered as well as a grade point and prize purse, I won't go to them. If D7 were like D5 with lower fees for national opens (especially since points are not part of the equation), then I'd go to one especially here in Az., so I could raise my grade level from 5 to 6. I'm thankful I moved here to Phoenix, so I can run five points races without having to travel more than 330 miles one way.

Gary... To clarify, there is not a late season N.O. at Sonoma and I get your point. It’s on my wish list! My point was as Al posted; late season killer DA and Baro! Records would be shattered...

Last edited by Barry Polley; 02-25-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote