HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
mitch sowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default lOOKING FOR A LITTLE info ON SHOCKS,,,,,

I have a s/st---s/g 1967 camaro . Stock sub frame [ front ] bbc alum heads. fiberglass hood, fenders, doors , and all plastic windows and alum tin work. Here's my question ? I'm thinking about getting the QA1 front '' race '' coil-overs. Would this be a good or bad move ? I would buy the good A-arms as well. '' tube style '' ....The car is a ladder bar car. Run about 9.20's -9.30 off the stop. If anybody has any info on these,PLEASE let know. Thanks.....Mitch
mitch sowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Default Re: lOOKING FOR A LITTLE info ON SHOCKS,,,,,

If you are limiting the travel now ,and don't need a whole lot of travel the coil over set up is OK .
Just make sure to install limiters keep from topping out the shock.
If your car likes travel use an adjustable shock with long travel like an AFCO big nose type or the QA1's with the stock type spring.
The tube arms are a good choice ,you can use the shorter arms if you need to narrow the track width a little.
Heres a photo of Frank Grillos Camaro with tube arms and stock type springs.
2900# ladder bar car with similar HP and ET's.
The tube arms really helped the front end geometry ,along with a rack conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frank Grillo 007 (Copy).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	14964  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
mitch sowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Tom, I was waiting to see if you might get on here ! I know you help alot of racers out on questions . I thank you for that.. I'm aware of the shocks , and the travel they will need. My car doesn't need alot of travel .So I think I will be okay there. I'm leaning more to the tube a-arms ,more then the shocks.The car works good now,just trying to clean up the front area. I didn't know if I had to go with both ,or just the a-arms alone. Thanks for your help.... and thanks for showing the picture..Mitch.........
mitch sowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
FG1090

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Mitch, Frank Grillo here, do what Tom says he knows his stuff. He set my car up an right out of trailer it handle like a new caddy. Couldn't be happier. Good luck Frank
FG1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
kmyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Mitch,
I have been looking to do the same to my Nova, I was planning on going w/ just the control arms and steering rack conversion. mainly to lighten up the nose of the car and eliminate the 1971 metal. I figure since I limit the suspension travel to a minimum, I'd keep "stock style prings". I would like to narrow the track width as well. You'll have to let me know what you decide to do and how it works out. See ya at the races. Kevin
kmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Tom,
I too am looking to upgrade my front suspension this year. Frank showed me his set up and it really looked great along with his praise of the difference. I have a 70’ Camaro 10.90 and bracket car. When I 10.90 race, I limit the travel which is not a problem however when I bracket race all out, the car likes and needs the front end to come up and get the weight on the back tires. I currently use a tall 18” stock style springs ( a real bitch to install) with lots of stored energy and a respectable ride height and I use a Koni single adjustable SPA1 shock. I have ordered the tubular pro A-arms. I held off on the rack because it appears the only advantage for me would be weight and that is really not an issue at this time vs the work to install. Car weighs 2850, SBC and my fat azz. I would like to upgrade the shocks so I can adjust without taking them out of the car. As you most likely know the Koni requires removal to adjust. I was leaning toward the Strange single adjustable for stock spring set up. You mention some others. If you don’t mind what shock did you put in Franks car and do you have a recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
FG1090

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Drew, I have Strange single adjustable- # S5267. Just turn the knob and your done,had the same Konies they work but were hassel to change. Frank
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Hey Frank,
Happy New Year to you and family.
Thanks for the info.
That is one of the shocks I am concidering.
Sounds like I may be in the right direction.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
FG1090

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happy New Year to you and yours Drew, You might want to give Lynns husband Tom a call at S&W racecars. I beleave they are having a sale on shocks this month,Good luck Frank
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Drew ,the Strange singles will be fine on your car.
The big advantage of the rack is the elimination of bump steer.
this is not a huge problem on a car with stock suspension and limited travel, however it is an issue when allowing full travel.
You can correct the worst of the bump steer with a stock box by using heim ends and spacers to eliminate the stock tie rod ends.