HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts
Default "Stock-Look" Stockers

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I'd wish they would do away with contingency decals and custom paint on Stockers. Only make/model/year appropriate factory paint and decals, chrome, black or body matching wheels, driver name & numbers on the windows, a few series decals and that's it.

Dan Cyr's orange Camaro that leads off the Some Vegas Pics thread is absolutely perfect.Same with Jeff Lindstrom's white Mustang, Billy Cremo's black Camaro, Dennis Alvey's turquoise Mustang, Leo Glasbrenner's red Firebird, etc

I think spectators would rather see cars that look like those than the rolling refrigerator doors and bulletin boards we have now. Do they even care what the decals say? Do they influence them to buy the same parts for their own cars? I think they just advertise to other racers these days. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a different way for manufacturers tp pay for the publicity they receive for associating with a winning car and driver. (I guess sponsorship lettering, limited to a 3ft x1ft space on the quarters, might not distract from the intended appearance package.)
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
TommyPettigrew3076

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: "Stock-Look" Stockers

You have obviously not ever won a National or Division race ..lol Those contigency checks that come in the mail sure looked good in my bank account when I won ...lol and these are race cars not street cars. If you want " Stock " looking cars go to the local bracket night at a track and watch the street class run.
TommyPettigrew3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

I didn't mean eliminate contingency postings, just work out a way where you don't need decals on the car. Decals are just advertisements, and free ones at that, for a company that won't even compensate you for displaying them unless you make the final round (or semis, or win class, at certain events) . They usually aren't even proof that you use the product. You still have to provide proofs of purchase or pass a visual inspection.

It would be interesting to research what percentage of drivers in Stock actually earned contingency awards in 2016.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,453 Times in 1,956 Posts

I ask a friend of mine why his car was absent of all contingency stickers? His answer: I can afford to race. And that was that.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Couldn't have said it better, Larry. Agree 100 percent.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I'd wish they would do away with contingency decals and custom paint on Stockers. Only make/model/year appropriate factory paint and decals, chrome, black or body matching wheels, driver name & numbers on the windows, a few series decals and that's it.

Dan Cyr's orange Camaro that leads off the Some Vegas Pics thread is absolutely perfect.Same with Jeff Lindstrom's white Mustang, Billy Cremo's black Camaro, Dennis Alvey's turquoise Mustang, Leo Glasbrenner's red Firebird, etc

I think spectators would rather see cars that look like those than the rolling refrigerator doors and bulletin boards we have now. Do they even care what the decals say? Do they influence them to buy the same parts for their own cars? I think they just advertise to other racers these days. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a different way for manufacturers tp pay for the publicity they receive for associating with a winning car and driver. (I guess sponsorship lettering, limited to a 3ft x1ft space on the quarters, might not distract from the intended appearance package.)
Like these ?

Last edited by ALMACK; 04-12-2017 at 08:23 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A7A1819.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	658.4 KB
ID:	38942  
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

In my case racing a manual transmission 4 cylinder Ford pretty much means that there is virtually no conting money to be had regardless so my car is pretty much bare when it comes to decals. I'm sure not going to run decals that don't pay. Companies that claim to pay and don't is another issue that I won't get into.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

My Stocker looks like it came from the showroom, full exhaust with chrome tips, windshield wipers and radio and antenna. Racing wheels are the only give away. In the past I put on decals but now I don't put stickers on it because the manufacturers these days make you jump through hoops, they use every excuse not to pay. Back in the 70's, they gave you everything under the sun to put their decal on the cars. Just my take on Stock.

Casey Miles
248H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Timetraveler

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

The interest picked up in drag racing when you could tell the difference between a race car and a street car. It wasn't big company stickers it was the local gas station or corner store. Race cars also had names and people in the stands would remember them and follow them.

If you have not figured it out I started racing more than fifty years ago and I hope to race another fifty.
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote