Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #141
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Who's the Baddest B/SA now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shift View Post
If all else was equal, I'll take the 7-10% reduction in drag coefficient.

Interesting comment regarding the hood scoop. I did the calculations on many Super Class scoop designs and determined the cars would be faster with the scoop reversed or no scoop at all. One racer even admitted that was the case based on his testing but thought it looked cool so he left it as-is.

Hold a flat palm out the window at 60, 70 or 100 mph and you'll quickly see how much force is applied. It certainly eats power.
You are correct, many years ago when I lived and worked in Reno, Nevada, one of my friends was the pilot for the Dago Red P-51 Mustang race airplane. When they modified the under fuselage scoop that cools the radiator to a smaller and more aerodynamic scoop, almost half the size, the airplane picked up an additional 18 MPH with no other changes due to the drag reduction.

In a race car, in addition to the drag based on the drag coefficient number of the particular body, you have to deal with two other issues; lift and ground effects.

In an airplane, the ground effect only occurs while accelerating during take-off and decelerating during the landing, with drag effecting the most during the takeoff. There is no ground effects after level flight and lift is zero.

However, in a race car, you have both the lift and ground effects influencing the car during the whole run and also having an impact on the acceleration and handling of the car. Then add a big scoop to the hood and now you have another additional item effecting the performance of the vehicle.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #142
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Please explain how a plane stays in level flight with zero lift. Would think it would need lift equal to its weight.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #143
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts
Default Re: Bad Stockers, maybe too bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shift View Post
In all candor, if either car is that quick - or any for that matter, it sounds like the system developed to look after unbalanced performance levels such as this should be allowed to work. Why have the AHFS in place at all? If the system is valid and effective, let it work.
The AHFS would work a lot better if they used the 1/8 mile times.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #144
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
Please explain how a plane stays in level flight with zero lift. Would think it would need lift equal to its weight.

There are four forces that keep the airplane; thrust, weight, lift and drag.

Thrust, like any other object, keeps and maintains the forward motion.

Weight maintains the center of gravity or the center of mass so the airplane can fly as close to level as its design, minimizing the aircraft controls input. Its correlation is to thrust for its forward motion.

Drag, as any other object in motion is always there and the airplane, like any other vehicle, is designed to reduce the drag by reducing its footprint or coefficient of drag.

Lift is dependent of the airflow around the object as it moves forward due to thrust. There are other variables such as the shape of the object and weight. In the case of an airplane, the air moves around the wings give and maintain the airplane lift.

Zero lift is a term used in flight dynamics science in which during level flight there is an equilibrium of the yaw, pitch and roll axis during flight which is also known as leveled wings or Zero bank angle. In this configuration, the forces are balanced for optimum aircraft performance and operation.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #145
Kenny Boy
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, but how much faster would that airplane run the 1/4 mile in if it was 10% lighter and more aerodynamic? Because that is what we are talking about here with the camaro vs vette. Same engine
Kenny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #146
Paradigm Shift

Liked 80 Times in 29 Posts

It's difficult to debate the Corvette's need for some significant and immediate factor assistance.
Paradigm Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #147
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boy View Post
Yeah, but how much faster would that airplane run the 1/4 mile in if it was 10% lighter and more aerodynamic? Because that is what we are talking about here with the camaro vs vette. Same engine
If the ego contest of Camaro racers had been kept in check, it would still be at the 305 it was originally rated at. The vette has been 345 from the beginning, even when the Camaro was 305. They wouldn't lower the vette back then, when no one could figure out how to get one down the track, so the reverse argument holds no water now. If you want to complain about the factor on the f-body cars, there are plenty of racers that helped get it there, same as a whole lot of other combos that aren't as good as they once were. The AHFS exists to prevent "pencil whipping" a combo to death. It's not perfect, but it's the rules we race under. Think it should be changed? Talk to NHRA
Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #148
Kenny Boy
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
The AHFS exists to prevent "pencil whipping" a combo to death. It's not perfect, but it's the rules we race under. Think it should be changed? Talk to NHRA
I don't think it should be changed.
I enjoy my ridiculously under-factored car.
I just want to point out a few things some people don't realize is happening.
The Factory cars get crap all the time about their factors.Its time some traditional cars get the spotlight. And what better car than someone who is asking for it with "The Baddest B Stocker in the Country", when its really a AA Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I'll say it one last time. J Allen can go as fast as necessary.......10.10 10.00 9.90 9.80 whatever........��
Hate to break it to this guy, but 9.80 only gets you 0.90 under the AA/SA index. Which is where the Vette, at that weight, would be with the same factoring as the same engine in the other lane.

Last edited by Kenny Boy; 04-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #149
junior barns

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boy View Post
If everything equal, rear gear, trans,same fluids, etc and both leave the line exactly the same way, hit the shift points exactly at the same time, etc etc, the et's will be almost the identical!!!!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #150
Kenny Boy
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess we will have to wait another year to see who is the Baddest B/SA.
I don't Think "God's Gift to the LS1" will grace us with his presence this year even though he is still entered.
All you other fools with your low power engines will have to fight it out for Second place in the hearts and minds of everyone.
We all know if he was here, you wouldn't even be in B.
Can't wait to see whos gets to hold the Fake Crown this year.
I can already see the relief on some competitors faces, Thankful he spared them this year.

Last edited by Kenny Boy; 08-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.