HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #51
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Are synthetic oils and lubricants any quicker

Due to the usual bickering that has evolved on this subject, I have not commented on this subject.

Nevertheless, in the engineering arena, analysis is based on Mohr's Law and for the proper lubricant selection, considerations are made on factors such as fatigue loading, friction, heat, corrosion resistance, kinematic problems, material properties, machining properties, machining tolerances, assembly and use.

Therefore, most times, you have to arrive to a compromise with a lubricant solution that works based on recommendation and experience by either the vendor or a user. There is not a "Snake Oil" that meets all requirements and every manufacturer claims that "theirs is better or bigger" than the competition.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #52
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

How do you come back after being banned? The other "Ed" was banned and never heard from again???? Just a question.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #53
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,062 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Alan, tell me/us where I can find the data/field test/results from the API as well the OEM specifically as it relates to using these oils and lubricants in drag racing engines, transmissions, rears and cars!

I've stated in this thread that I typically got 200 passes on a set of gears in my former chevelle which btw, I'm told is about 100 more than a similar weight B/SA Stocker with a 12 bolt.
The 4.88 gears in our 69 Camaro, running in A/SA and CC/SA, as a 427/425/435 (3650# minimum at A/SA) typically last about 4 years, which is about 400-600 passes. I took a set out that looked perfect after 4 years, put in a 5.00 gear, and it went about 150 passes before the heat treat apparently failed, since the gear pretty much fell apart, mostly on the coast side.

So if you're getting 200 passes out of yours, I'll stick with what I'm doing and getting about twice the gear life out of everything but that one set of 5.00 gears.

Hey, Kenny, sorry about the bandwidth, but I found that the genius bragging about knowing more than me while getting half the life out of a set of gears that I do was just too funny.

For the original post, yes, there can be power in synthetics, or at least ET and MPH. However, in the case of motor oil, it requires a ton of testing. You need to know what viscosity your engine requires due to the clearances and the oil pump, and you need to know what base oil and additive package makes your ring package happy.

You could find a synthetic of a light viscosity that makes the engine real happy with regard to friction, oil flow, and pressure, but makes the ring package and cylinder wall finish very unhappy, and you may actually slow down. You need to talk to your builder and find out what the actual minimum viscosity for your engine is, and he should also know what makes the rings work.

Some people have found that certain automatic transmissions and torque converters really like a synthetic hydraulic oil made for agricultural tractors. But your converter and transmission might hate it.

I do not know anyone who has tried the API GL-6 and half quart or so extra that Jimmy Bridges suggests who slowed down, or lost a gear. I wish I had gotten around to trying it with the 5.00 gear, it might have saved a gear that appears to have been weak.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 01-15-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #54
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 411 Times in 198 Posts

1. when I talk, it's about MY cars I don't refer to them as "our" car. So is this camaro you refer to YOUR car that YOU own and drive or not? Further, when I refer to MY cars, I don't make vague statements like "about 4-6 years and about 400-600 passes", I know exactly the duration of time and the number of runs and one would think that a claimed vastly more knowledgeable class racer would keep a log and too know EXACTLY the number of runs on every component.

2. By your lack of reference I'll take it that there is no data/field test/results from the API as well the OEM specifically as it relates to using these oils and lubricants in drag racing engines, transmissions, rears and cars!

3. 200 passes in the stock 1968 12 bolt under a 3880 lb. Chevelle that launched wheels up every pass, running as quick as 9.72 and 60 footing low 1.30s and a best of 1.28!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKYio6OvKM"]THE PROOF IS IN THE PERFORMANCE - YouTube[/ame]

3. if your replies in this thread is an example of your knowledge than without question I have more ON THE TRACK experience than you!

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #55
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you were half as great as you think you are, you'd be world champ in every class. But alas, you're just a world class blowhard.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #56
sg1586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does this forum have an "ignore" feature???
sg1586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #57
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 411 Times in 198 Posts

I never claimed to be "great" but I am knowledgable and experienced on the topics I reply, offering 1st hand advice and opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
If you were half as great as you think you are, you'd be world champ in every class.
becoming a world champ has nothing to do with one's mechanical ability and/or knowledge of the mechanical components in the cars they drive!

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #58
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
I never claimed to be "great" but I am knowledgable and experienced on the topics I reply, offering 1st hand advice and opinion.

becoming a world champ has nothing to do with one's mechanical ability and/or knowledge of the mechanical components in the cars they drive!
and then attack and belittle anyone who disagrees with you, with a fair amount of bragging along the way.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #59
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
1. when I talk, it's about MY cars I don't refer to them as "our" car. So is this camaro you refer to YOUR car that YOU own and drive or not? Further, when I refer to MY cars, I don't make vague statements like "about 4-6 years and about 400-600 passes", I know exactly the duration of time and the number of runs and one would think that a claimed vastly more knowledgeable class racer would keep a log and too know EXACTLY the number of runs on every component.

2. By your lack of reference I'll take it that there is no data/field test/results from the API as well the OEM specifically as it relates to using these oils and lubricants in drag racing engines, transmissions, rears and cars!

3. 200 passes in the stock 1968 12 bolt under a 3880 lb. Chevelle that launched wheels up every pass, running as quick as 9.72 and 60 footing low 1.30s and a best of 1.28!

3. if your replies in this thread is an example of your knowledge than without question I have more ON THE TRACK experience than you!

"becoming a world champ has nothing to do with one's mechanical ability and/or knowledge of the mechanical components in the cars they drive!" Ed Bigley

More than likely it does.
What about setting records?
What about when the race turns heads up, something you would know nothing about.

I have a question,
Being your mechanical abilities run so deep, and your on track experiance and all, and twenty years of racing this 68 Chevelle above in negative 1000 feet air, how did THIS put 8 tenths on your junk in 50 passes total in 615 feet air?

5.86 115.7
Documented production oval port big block
And I might add, this year I would bet it will be right there with your 522 inch SS/GT car, and faster pound for pound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John wilson 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	22632  

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 01-16-2014 at 11:05 AM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #60
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Dwight lets keep the discussion constructive and on topic.
You would do well heed your admonition to me.

Your 22 years experience racing your Chevelle and your Firebird could have been well spent developing wisdom and interpersonal values rather than just an ego. Your impact on other people through relationship is far more valuable than any perceived success in the race world. Your great knowledge and experience is wasted because so few people will listen to you with any credibility. People simply don't give credence to somebody who consistently is demeaning, combative and disrespectful in their attitude toward them.

And this has become the topic of this thread.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote