HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
dondon

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default 360 mopar oiling issue

On a 360 mopar super stocker, having an issue with no. 3 rod oiling. Now trying reaming oil feed passages on no 2 and 4 to the mains and restricting oil to the cam bearings. Would cross drilling No.2 main bearing journal be a good thing to try also? I've heard good and bad things about cross drilling. Thanks for any opinions.
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 360 mopar oiling issue

There are several factory fixes for inadequate oiling to the rod bearings. Basically restrict oiling to the lifter bores especially the passenger side should help. Do not restrict oil to the rockers.

I used to sleeve the lifter bores, all of them and let splash from the rockers oil the roller lifters.

A second method I used was that I reamed and sleeved the passenger side oil bay with a copper tube.

You can also add a supply line from the passenger side bay to the drivers bay as another method. This seems to work well but I never did it. Simple if you have a hydraulic or solid lifter cam.

In a super stock motor I would also use babbit bearings. Set them up a bit loose like .003.

Use a factory racing manual to properly size all your oil passages, especially from the passenger side oil bay to the mains and again up to the cam shaft and rockers.

Pretty sure you need more oil. What oil pan are you using?
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
CMcAllister

Liked 735 Times in 205 Posts
Default Re: 360 mopar oiling issue

In my experience, at higher RPM (7k+), these 360s get to be a problem. I've tried it all, including crossdrilling the crank, which didn't help me. Getting max solid oil to both ends of the crank is part of it. Limiting the amount of oil being bled off the mains to the cam and the heads is a larger part of it. Left oil galley needs to be plugged. Doing the tube in the galley trick is a mess. Have the lifter bores bushed instead. A number of different patches/fixes for this if you Google around some of the Mopar forums.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 07-30-2018 at 02:19 PM.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
GTSDart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I set a #3 rod free this spring... My plan is to restrict the oil to the lifter bores via tubes in the gallery and use full grooved mains.... I'm also considering putting in a cross over tube. Yes these oiling systems suck...
GTSDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
CMcAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSDart View Post
I set a #3 rod free this spring... My plan is to restrict the oil to the lifter bores via tubes in the gallery and use full grooved mains.... I'm also considering putting in a cross over tube. Yes these oiling systems suck...
I've used the copper tubes, never again. A cross-over just provides a path for oil from the right galley to the left other than the crossover at the front main. If using tubes or bushings, the left galley should be plugged and left dry as lifters are the only thing oiled from that passage. A better choice would be a pressure line to the front of the right galley to bypass the gauntlet of the lifter bores the oil normally has to run through to get to the front of the crank.

A big problem are the 1/4 or 9/32" oil leaks from the main bearing bores to the front four cam bearings. All that oil going up instead of onto the crank needs to be addressed. Other problems are the rear main cap/oil filter mating surface and oil passages matching, oil passages in the back of the block need opened and massaged, and ensure no restrictions on the suction side of the pump.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
dondon

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

the oil pan that was on the engine was the engine guy's pan (rear sump truck pan with tube for steering link) now we are using a kevko pan. putting a tube in oil galley, no cross drilling crank.Did have fully grooved mains,will again too.
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
GTSDart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
I've used the copper tubes, never again. A cross-over just provides a path for oil from the right galley to the left other than the crossover at the front main. If using tubes or bushings, the left galley should be plugged and left dry as lifters are the only thing oiled from that passage. A better choice would be a pressure line to the front of the right galley to bypass the gauntlet of the lifter bores the oil normally has to run through to get to the front of the crank.

A big problem are the 1/4 or 9/32" oil leaks from the main bearing bores to the front four cam bearings. All that oil going up instead of onto the crank needs to be addressed. Other problems are the rear main cap/oil filter mating surface and oil passages matching, oil passages in the back of the block need opened and massaged, and ensure no restrictions on the suction side of the pump.
That's great input. In using the crossover tube. I will be using it in conjunction with the blocked off left gallery. The left gallery will now feed the #1 main shortening the path of the gauntlet feeding from the right side

Now with a flat tappet cam will there be enough splash oiling for the blocked off left side lifters? I would imagine the right bank would spray oil on to these lifters too... ??
GTSDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Run down from the rocker oiling
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These little modifications may also help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360 oil mods3.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	46369   Click image for larger version

Name:	6394526-Stroker10_12_10Sm07.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	46370  

Last edited by Peter Ash; 07-31-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
CMcAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSDart View Post
That's great input. In using the crossover tube. I will be using it in conjunction with the blocked off left gallery. The left gallery will now feed the #1 main shortening the path of the gauntlet feeding from the right side

Now with a flat tappet cam will there be enough splash oiling for the blocked off left side lifters? I would imagine the right bank would spray oil on to these lifters too... ??

Just to clarify, the left (drivers side) galley is blocked off with a pipe plug in the feed passage at the #1 main bearing bore. Some people push a plug past the feed passage in the front of the galley under the cam thrust plate. But the plate isn't sealed to the face of the block and is another potential leak. Plugging at the bearing eliminates all of that. A crossover or direct bypass to the front of the right (pass side) galley is used in parallel with the galley and run from the very rear to the very front of the galley under the intake. This ensures that galley is fed equally well at both ends, and that the crank is oiled at the front as well. Plenty of oil being slung to oil lifters with the tubes or bushings. If the rocker gear requires pushrod oiling, the bushings can be drilled to provide that to the lifters and the left galley will have to remain fed from a crossover under the intake. Oil running to the cam from the main saddles still needs to be controlled to keep it on the crank..

The biggest problem I've had with pans is keeping the pickup submerged on deceleration. Different baffles and fixes were tried with varying success (or lack of it). I finally decided that an accusump, if allowed, or cutting the engine with a clean neutral was the best solution to that problem.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 07-31-2018 at 03:00 PM.