HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Tracy Robbins

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default Diesel motorhome tire advice

I currently have bridgestones on my motorhome and wanted to get other opinions on brands and where to find the best price.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Diesel motorhome tire advice

I took the advice of a friend that owns & leases out his big rig comercial trucks, and put Michleans on everything. He puts them on the fronts due to fewer blow outs in his experience, prevents loss of control, he says, in case of tire problems.

Then Jeff telling us about not running tires longer than four years, no matter how good they look.

I put new Michleans on all the way around every four years. Expensive. Beats havng tire problems.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I took the advice of a friend that owns & leases out his big rig comercial trucks, and put Michleans on everything. He puts them on the fronts due to fewer blow outs in his experience, prevents loss of control, he says, in case of tire problems.

Then Jeff telling us about not running tires longer than four years, no matter how good they look.

I put new Michleans on all the way around every four years. Expensive. Beats havng tire problems.
X2 on what Mr Ed said, afraid your not to get out though. My only advice is find a store that handles big truck tires that is away from the interstates, they tend to be higher since they are selling tires to people who are in serious need most of the time.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Mark Howes

Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts

Many people regard Michelin as the best tire for the application.

They are also the most expensive. Having said that if you follow the link below to the Family Motorcoach Association you will see they have a discount program on Michelin Tires.

The membership price to FMC would be recouped in discounts on one tire. If you join FMC the discount will bring the Michelins down to a price very close to the lesser regarded options.

http://www.fmca.com/join-family-moto...nnections/3455
Mark Howes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
DIAPERMAN

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Talking Re: Diesel motorhome tire advice

I swear by Michellin tires .I blew a front steer tire on Renagade going around KC, NO DAMAGE at all got off side of road safe .They are exspensive but worth it
DIAPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We primarily use Bridgestones on our fleet. The Michelin's are good, pricey. Recently Bridgestone has rebranded one of their tires into Firestone. They do this to lower the price. Very nice tire. I think Larry Hill has them on the front of his, and just this week I was looking at them on a tire rack at a Loves. If you like, let me know size etc and location and I can talk to our guy who maintains our fleet. He told me these would be ideal for motorhomes because of the limited use, and limited age of all commercial tires. If I remember correctly (and that is a challenge) you cannot recap a tire older than 3 or 4 years. He told me a commercial tire (something like a 11.00 X 22.5) is made to go 300,000 miles in 3 years and move on. That is rears, fronts less than that. Also I sell the old motor home tires to sugar cane farmers. They are so heavy and brutal during harvest, nothing like age matters.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
Tracy Robbins

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks for all the input...I have had a lot of success w/ Michelin on other vehicles but the guy I bought this motorhome owned a Michelin tire store and had put Bridgestone's on it. He said through his experience he found the Bridgestone's to be better for the money.
I would like to check into the new Firestone replacement Jeff. I currently have a 265 75R 22.5 It also has V Steel ribbed and R250 on the tire. Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

We put hankook tires on our old Monaco 34 ft diesel pusher. I asked our truck fleet managers and they had had real good luck with them. I really think there are some great choices at a certain price point. There were firestons on the Rv when we bought it. They looked brand new,mbut they were six years old. We were told the same thing. You will never wear them out,but if you run too many years on them, be prepared to blow them out.

I have had friends that kept running old tire that looked brand new. It always ended with them being stuck on the roadside. No trouble stopping safely, but a tire chunking out on an Rv tends to take plastic, air lines and anything else in the way.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
Shaun Quill

Liked 82 Times in 20 Posts

I've been in the trucking business my entire life,and although they are very expensive initially,Michelin's are by far the best value. Besides that, you'll be getting a real quality piece that rides much nicer.Best of luck
Shaun Quill is offline   Reply With Quote