Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #31
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts
Default Re: Engine Builders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I've always had some of the best around do my machine work, going back to 1969 and Danny Jesel at Duffy's Machine shop..Then Tony Feil, for years.
Later on , Eaton/ Watters/ Hettler /Kadar.
Always assembled my own.
Also carburetors, headers, converters , transmissions, roll bars, rear ends, body, paint.
If I could sew a straight line, I probably wouldn't have Derby City Covers do my upholstery work ;-)
X10......
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #32
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
My $ is on the good driver over the guy that assembles his engines in his garage, every round!
I agree in part if reading this right. After 40+ years of being around racing, at the end of the day, the drivers that win it all seen to be a little lacking something, never wired up, nothing ever bothers them. Two come to mind, both track champions many times. One, had the mechanical ability but clueless, but knew how to knock the tree down. The other, he could change oil but that's it, knew the numbers, weather and the like backward and forward. Show up just before eliminations, kill you the tree, if he went red, buy back and win the day. Both cool as a cucumber. I, like most tried to stay away from these guys. The ones that can do it all, are the professionals.
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #33
kansas stocker

Liked 223 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
I disagree
So how do you explain Stinett and Driskell here in Div 5?

Last edited by kansas stocker; 01-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.
kansas stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #34
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 380 Times in 180 Posts

the list is very deep of great drivers that have won multiple divisional and national championships who don't assemble their engines and at the top of that list is arguably the best sportsman/class racer ever with multiple championships in numerous classes

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-15-2019 at 09:31 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #35
BTR69

Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts

In my case, I like to do as much myself as I can. That being said, life getting in the way of my race car time, makes it necessary to farm stuff out sometimes. Case in point, I'm determined to finish up a 68 Camaro street/bracket car all on my own. Rebuilt front to back, inside & out. Unfortunately since May of last year, my free time is next to none due to work and family health needs. Had I farmed the work out, I'd have been driving it by mid 2018. I have built my own engines in the past for bracket racing and had good success. If it's for the stocker or superstocker we have, it would pay off better for me to farm most engine & tranny needs out, to insure a class legal and competitive piece. It certainly is nice to be able to say I did it myself when the question is asked though.

As far as guys that build their own, vs a guy that can't change oil but can drive like Jesus, Well, lets just say I know a bunch that not only drive like Jesus, but build their own stuff, engine/trans/rear & more.

Have a great week everyone.
BTR69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I can agree with Ed on one thing, although I would like to my time is very valuable running my business and raising 2 kids. I don't have the time and damn sure couldn't do as good as my engine guy. So I leave it up to him for now but maybe one day I will get to the point I can but for now I've been trying to find time to swap front struts and springs out for 4 weeks now lol.
Liked
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #37
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

One of the toughest things in life is to come to grips with / realize that you are far better off to pay the " experts " that do what they do best and don't try to do almost everything yourself. Everyone is good at something. If you make a good wage at making widgets, stay longer at work to pay a tranny, engine, interior, paint or who ever guy.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #38
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
One of the toughest things in life is to come to grips with / realize that you are far better off to pay the " experts " that do what they do best and don't try to do almost everything yourself. Everyone is good at something. If you make a good wage at making widgets, stay longer at work to pay a tranny, engine, interior, paint or who ever guy.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. But, from what I've seen, some guys can do it all, some guys just need a little help along the way, and some should just keep their damn hands in their pockets, except to pull out a checkbook.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #39
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Sorry Kenny ---- Thought I cleaned it up within the rules. Just chalk it up to being my redneck self.:-)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #40
Steve Sullivan

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Well I see 1320racer is back to his old ways of being an agent provocateur and an arrogant know it all a**hole! Hopefully the administrator of this site will give this poltroon and his supercilious comments another vacation.
Go back to Jersey you moron!
Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote