Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: When you buy sunoco make sure it's not methanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Your take is baffling.

If someone makes a post stating that Company X has horrible products or service, and I've always had a great experience with them, I would feel compelled to state my contrary experience.

If we shouldn't do that, why are replies even allowed?

First, I would say that replies are allowed because it provides an opportunity to get information, advice, alternatives, etc. "I'm looking for a really good set of stainless steel headers. Who do you guys recommend?"

What I kinda don't get (and I am NOT trying to be a dick) is a bunch of people sharing information (positive or negative) about somebody or something, and having one guy say "I've never had that issue".

When that guy says "I've never had that issue", does that one voice change anybody's mind? I would say "no". Think of a guy posting that he's developed a miss, and another guy posts that he's never had a miss; wouldn't your reaction to the second post be something like "Good for you, but that's not going to help me identify and eliminate my miss".

Now, if that one voice offered something constructive, like "I a miss problem too, and then you guys told me about Joe Putzi at XYZ Engineering, and he worked with me to solve the problem".

I didn't want to make anybody mad, or insult Hawk, and I'm done with the topic now.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #22
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

I'm tending to think that a lot of racers buy their Sunoco product at the pumps at most tracks.. and they just might feel that they are getting good stuff.. but are they??

It seems that the majority of the problems occur when buying Sunoco products off of the trucks at NHRA National and Divisional Events.. Sunoco products have been proven to be very inconsistent, and even if the lower fuels test OK, are you getting the right performance out of your set-up, or are you blaming the track, or the weather??.. and actually, it's been proven that Sunoco shelf life is non-existent.. so, just cause your car runs when you put it in, doesn't meaning that your car is actually running..

I actually couldn't believe that on the Sunoco chart, VP C-14+ crossed over to Sunoco SR-18, but to use the SR-18, I found that I had to make a timing and jet change, and couldn't get the car to come close to a decent idle.. THANK GOD that VP showed up that day.. took the rest of the 5 gallons to fuel check, and it failed for SR-18.. but I was told that I could use it.. WTF???... but don't listen to me, back to back it your self..

SOOOOO, I got a chance to back to back the fuels, at a good track (Maple Grove), with good weather (SPRING TIME), and the SR-18 got poured into the motorhome... IMAGINE THAT!!!

I watched dyno pulls on a current Pro Stock motor, back to backing fuels.. on the best tune-up, SR-18 was down 30hp... wonder what you're down in your combo... OR, if you're using Sunoco, how much better would you be with VP RACE FUELS???

NUFF SAID!!!
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #23
Dave Ficacci

Liked 84 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti View Post
I'm tending to think that a lot of racers buy their Sunoco product at the pumps at most tracks.. and they just might feel that they are getting good stuff.. but are they??

It seems that the majority of the problems occur when buying Sunoco products off of the trucks at NHRA National and Divisional Events.. Sunoco products have been proven to be very inconsistent, and even if the lower fuels test OK, are you getting the right performance out of your set-up, or are you blaming the track, or the weather??.. and actually, it's been proven that Sunoco shelf life is non-existent.. so, just cause your car runs when you put it in, doesn't meaning that your car is actually running..

I actually couldn't believe that on the Sunoco chart, VP C-14+ crossed over to Sunoco SR-18, but to use the SR-18, I found that I had to make a timing and jet change, and couldn't get the car to come close to a decent idle.. THANK GOD that VP showed up that day.. took the rest of the 5 gallons to fuel check, and it failed for SR-18.. but I was told that I could use it.. WTF???... but don't listen to me, back to back it your self..

SOOOOO, I got a chance to back to back the fuels, at a good track (Maple Grove), with good weather (SPRING TIME), and the SR-18 got poured into the motorhome... IMAGINE THAT!!!

I watched dyno pulls on a current Pro Stock motor, back to backing fuels.. on the best tune-up, SR-18 was down 30hp... wonder what you're down in your combo... OR, if you're using Sunoco, how much better would you be with VP RACE FUELS???

NUFF SAID!!!
I've been buying Sunoco off the truck and in pails for the past 4 years with zero issues with fuel check, consistency or performance. I've also have had zero issues with storing fuel from October to April. I've also lucked into winning a few races and setting a record or two. To speak of Sunoco as if its an inferior product is just being naive.

Last time I checked this was the Stock/Super Stock section of the forum where fuels like C14+ and SR18 most likely are not primarily used so I cant speak to these products....I can tell you we've run VP C11, C12, C25, Sunoco Blue, Purple, Maximal and Surge and they all perform well and pass tech if handled appropriately. So to your answer your last question, for most stock eliminator engines the answer is not one bit.

Last edited by Dave Ficacci; 10-25-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Dave Ficacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #24
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Dave Ficacci...KNOWS!

Seems to work pretty good in my Super Comp car too.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #25
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

It's a shame that Sunoco did nothing for the OP. Terrible way to handle business.

I have used VP C-12, C-14, their new fuel called VP Blue, Sunoco Blue and Red (Supreme and Maximal) in my car, they all run exactly the same. Been using Sunoco Purple in my slower car, no problems.

Since I no longer Class Race, I am free to use whatever fuel I want to. I try to use Sunoco due to cost. Not all tracks have it, so I have to use VP from time to time. No problem, just more $$$$.

The OP got screwed, he will never use Sunoco again, and I don't blame him.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #26

Liked 924 Times in 240 Posts

If anyone has questions or issues on Sunoco Fuels for Stock and Super stock in Div1, you need to call Jason at Insinger Fuels, He will be happy to help you any way he can.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #27
1320racer
VIP Member

Surely you aren't implying that Insinger Fuels wouldn't handle questions or issues any different for any racer regardless of class running their fuels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
The OP got screwed, he will never use Sunoco again, and I don't blame him.
how did the OP get "screwed"? What does he want Sunoco to do to stop his whining and complaining?

I'm sure it was an honest mistake, pumped from the wrong drum as was mine. The OP like myself didn't catch it as he was pouring. That's on him as it was on me. Of course all racers should be checking their fuel before/as they pour it.

Last edited by 1320racer; 10-27-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #28

Liked 924 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
If anyone has questions or issues on Sunoco Fuels for Stock and Super stock in Div1, you need to call Jason at Insinger Fuels, He will be happy to help you any way he can.
My post was concerning people who posted that they failed fuel check. Jason will answer questions from anyone who has concerns or questions regarding Sunoco fuels for any class. Sorry I didn't clarify that.. Jason is a great guy and went out of his way to try to help Ryan Horensky when Maple Grove ran out of Surge at the Dutch Classic.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #29
1320racer
VIP Member

you didn't state that in your first reply. Further there are only 2 replies claiming they had issue passing fuel check and 3 replies stating they never had an issue with fuel check even when using fuel that was months old.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #30
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

The reason I say the OP got screwed is that he never got a phone call back about the mistake.

I don't know if his fuel got pumped from a drum, or from a pump. Easy to see what they are doing at a pump. Not easy to see what they are doing from a drum.

When you get fuel at Cecil, it is out of a drum, and for the most part you can't see what the label on the drum says, so you are assuming they are pumping the right fuel for you. Never had a mix-up there.

Atco no longer pumps from a pump, no more Sunoco there, so buying a 5 gallon pail is simple, but expensive.

Numidia pumps Sunonco out of the pump, CHEAP!, and easy to see what you are getting from them.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote