HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #831

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Yes, still intact and idles fine. Destroyed some bearings thats for sure.
I would take that ANY day, over my daughter oiling down her own tires and red-hot exhaust in the top end lights at a buck-fifteen.

None of the important stuff (heads, intake, etc.) were damaged- you'll come out of this okay.

Did it wipe the cam?
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #832
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Todd,
Sorry to hear the news. Just curious, did you do a leakdown on the engine prior to any passes upon purchasing? Have you checked leakdown since the dyno? Not that it matters now, but that is another logged item after every race that I perform on mine. Hopefully it is not too bad to get it fixed.

Good luck.
Sean
Sean, thanks. I leaked it down before the dyno and it was 4%. I don't think it will be too bad, either way it's gotta be fixed. I'll know more early next week.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #833
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
That looks pretty minor compared to what some have done. Glad it was caught before " catastrophic failure" occurred. Please keep us in the loop on your findings and the rebuild.
I agree Tim, it was caught early for sure. We're leaving for the D2 banquet tomorrow morning so nothing will get sorted out this weekend. Plan is to get going on it Monday so we can order parts and get moving forward.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #834
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
I would take that ANY day, over my daughter oiling down her own tires and red-hot exhaust in the top end lights at a buck-fifteen.

None of the important stuff (heads, intake, etc.) were damaged- you'll come out of this okay.

Did it wipe the cam?
My thoughts exactly, nobody hurt so it's all good. All the important stuff is good to go. The cam looks good from what I saw, pulled some lifters and they looked perfect, should get it pulled apart Monday.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #835
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Checked some stuff and pulled everything apart today. I honestly have more questions than answers at this point with some of the weird stocker stuff but oh well. The reason for the tear down was low oil pressure, well the two rear main bearings were the culprits as you will see. The reason? Well I'm guessing it was the valve springs, or more so how they were set up, a stack of shims and no locator, the damper (with no locator) was bashing the shims and sending metal through the engine. I'm guessing some got through the filter. Also has the wrong retainers for the springs. Springs were pretty soft but hell maybe they are setup this way to loft the valve open or something with this square cam. One thing I didn't count on were the janky cylinders in the block, almost look rusted near the top of a few of them, we'll clean them up as good as we can... we gotta race.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #836
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Todd,
Were you able to get any power numbers out of the engine before the "discoveries" ?
Glenn
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #837
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Checked some stuff and pulled everything apart today. I honestly have more questions than answers at this point with some of the weird stocker stuff but oh well. The reason for the tear down was low oil pressure, well the two rear main bearings were the culprits as you will see. The reason? Well I'm guessing it was the valve springs, or more so how they were set up, a stack of shims and no locator, the damper (with no locator) was bashing the shims and sending metal through the engine. I'm guessing some got through the filter. Also has the wrong retainers for the springs. Springs were pretty soft but hell maybe they are setup this way to loft the valve open or something with this square cam. One thing I didn't count on were the janky cylinders in the block, almost look rusted near the top of a few of them, we'll clean them up as good as we can... we gotta race.

I believe comp cams has locators,might have to be machined to fit heads. Look at short height valve locks too.What spring pressure are springs at? What fuel are you using?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #838
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hayes View Post
Todd,
Were you able to get any power numbers out of the engine before the "discoveries" ?
Glenn
No Glenn we weren't.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #839
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
I believe comp cams has locators,might have to be machined to fit heads. Look at short height valve locks too.What spring pressure are springs at? What fuel are you using?
Glenn, I think the springs were 350# open, I'll have to look at the notes tomorrow. I should stick a pic of the cam info on here and see if anyone knows who did it so I can call them to figure these springs out. I think the standard is about 200# and 400#. Fuel is VP C12.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #840
Keith Bennett

Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Keith Bennett

Todd,
I used to use VP C-11 and had to do major repairs to heads and cylinder walls after the motor set for some time.
I was told that the problem was from the VP fuel.
Luckily I had changed over to Sunoco before NHRA had made their switch. Never had any troubles with my motors during the down time with Sunoco.

VP is great fuel, I just had not been told to foam the motor after races.

Good luck sir.

"Imagine what you'd attempt, if you knew you could not fail!"
Keith Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote