HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts
Default Tanner Gray, not stock/super stock news,

Not stock/super stock news, but noteworthy for our sport.

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/...nsition-nascar
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Tanner Gray, not stock/super stock news,

With his attitude, he'll get wrecked as much as Danica. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts

Recognizing many will say “so what” indeed this is noteworthy and speaks to how NHRA has mismanaged a class that many of us held as being the zenith of drag racing. KB and Elite attempts to field extra teams aside, they can all see the handwriting on the wall. Elite’s entry into Pro Mod and the growth of that class (along with Mountain Motor PS “exhibition”) are just further examples of the coming direction. While the Gray family could care less about sponsorship exposure others have felt the pinch of being unable to get any TV exposure while FOX produces and airs a dedicated Pro Mod show. There’s no doubt that Tanner is a talented racer and if nothing else NASCAR will test his skills and if successful deliver what the big egos desire. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly for guys like Jason Line, my current PS favorite.

Bob, one distinction between Tanner and Danica, the kid at least has some talent.

Last edited by jmcarter; 09-25-2018 at 08:20 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
BG56

Liked 274 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Recognizing many will say “so what” indeed this is noteworthy and speaks to how NHRA has mismanaged a class that many of us held as being the zenith of drag racing. KB and Elite attempts to field extra teams aside, they can all see the handwriting on the wall. Elite’s entry into Pro Mod and the growth of that class (along with Mountain Motor PS “exhibition”) are just further examples of the coming direction. While the Gray family could care less about sponsorship exposure others have felt the pinch of being unable to get any TV exposure while FOX produces and airs a dedicated Pro Mod show. There’s no doubt that Tanner is a talented racer and if nothing else NASCAR will test his skills and if successful deliver what the big egos desire. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly for guys like Jason Line, my current PS favorite.

Bob, one distinction between Tanner and Danica, the kid at least has some talent.
I'm sorry sir, I have to reply to your last line. I spent some time around FF2000, Star Mazda, Indy Lights teams and know Danica has plenty of talent (and smarts). Everyone I'm sure, agrees with that. I will not get in to a M/F discussion BUT I think any fan that knows anything realizes she was resented when she showed up and throughout her stint in Nascar got very little help/cooperation (drafting and close-knit racing) with many of the "front-runners". She'll be fine -successful businesses and maybe future Mrs. Rodgers(?)!
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Not good news for the pro stock class. The Grays have certainly become a force in that class and are at the top of the class right now with performance and driving. No one can deny that the kid is the best driver in the class right now. They make plenty of power as well. Nascar is a whole bunch different than Pro Stock. Much more of a team effort. Hopefully he can be equally successful over there. The truck class is mostly young men like Tanner so he should fit in real good over there. One of my good friends that I grew up with son raced the truck series for about half of the season this year. Robbie Lyons. He actually ran pretty good at a few races but could not get enough sponsor money to continue.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts

BG, don’t want to completely hijack the thread but my son and I have driven plenty of road courses and there are literally thousands of very talented drivers competing in SCCA and other venues around the country. Very few are talented enough to succeed in NASCAR, my comment was concerning the talent level necessary to compete at that level. Wish NASCAR had a Erica equivalent or someone on the horizon; I would be their biggest fan.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #7
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

Folks complain about his attitude. I'm sure everyone has done something that now we wished had been different. Watched a truck race some weeks back and a guy crashed his teammate on the last corner for the win and then jumped up and down at the end like he did something spectacular. Tanner can do no worse than some of the drivers they have now. I agree this is bad PR for the class which lately seems to have teams helping cars for filling out the fields. Imagine the past champion leaving drag racing! (Any conspiracy folks out there?:-)

Last edited by Bobby DiDomenico; 09-25-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
nickh

Liked 211 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
With his attitude, he'll get wrecked as much as Danica. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.
X2 Bob
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
troublemaker427

Liked 65 Times in 23 Posts

He will fit right in with Kyle Busch....
troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
paul riddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in my opinion Steve Torrence is far worse than Than Tanner Grey has been with the comments last year. and some of his comments so far this year
paul riddle is offline   Reply With Quote