HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers gone

In case you haven't noticed NHRA and IHRA, we the S/SS RACERS are dropping like flies either due to death or debilitating illness and we are not replacing ourselves. Even son and daughter legacy racers are diminishing in frequency. I cringe before logging onto Class racer fearing there is another new R.I.P. or prayers needed thread about a dead or sick class racer. Don't you NHRA and IHRA, ever ask yourselves why there is hardly any new blood coming into our ranks? Or how come there are so many die hard veteran class racers who are quitting or remain parked?
It isn't only about the financial expense, which is substantial. It is more about the"fun factor" and rewards which you, the sanctioning bodies combined, have managed to take away from class racing by constantly changing the rules and/or adding "enhancements". No racing for class at all anymore in IHRA and no class win money reward or any recognition to speak of from either sanctioning body. How about eliminating divisions altogether in the case of IHRA. This plus increasing our expenses in some way shape or form every year without increasing our compensation. I don't think that the NHRA S/SS pay outs have changed since 1980 Why does NHRA find it necessary to continue adding classes at LODRS events the new index class car counts are nothing to write home about and just how many more fans have snowmobiles put in the stands? IHRA isn't much better these days seemingly following NHRA's lead at every opportunity raising fees and expenses. And how about those cheesy $2.00 plaque's when we did have class racing in IHRA? Why couldn't we get one of those iron persons for a IHRA class win? I'm still not certain of the sex of the new ones. LOL
Ok, NHRA and IHRA - are you hoping we just die off and fade away? The Detroit manufacturers are deeply involved in Class Racing now with the new muscle, but where will the drivers of these cars come from if there aren't veterans to guide them?
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers

I can say that part of the problem is the classes themselves. it is getting way too expensive to build a class car. Most "kids" roll thier eyes that it will cost 10K plus to build a 12 second car.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
MrWendy'sJr

Liked 25 Times in 1 Post

May I add, who's going to tech the class cars. Who in my generation has the knowledge to make sure these cars are correct for what is being claimed. Unfortunately the writing is on the wall, enjoy it while you can. I know my kids do.
MrWendy'sJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Alex,
We had a similar thread going a few months back where we beat this subject to death (if you'll pardon the expression)
The consensus was...
just kidding ...there wasn't one.

http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...tructing+Stock
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry to re-hash a Topic or beat a dead horse Mark but the passing of Chris Economacki and Brett Velde along with my own unpredicted illness put me over the top
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts

Alex,

Don't mean to correct you! But, Jeff Velde not me passed away! I read your post and I had to make sure I was still alive. LOL . Building a car as we speak! We'll be back out there. The economy and raising 4 kid's has slowed my program down. But it will get better! See you a Tony and the races.

Bret Velde
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Alex , I agree with most of what you say, but there are a few races where we all continue to show up. The sportsnationals come to mind. Also the d3 and d1 points races continue to draw pretty well. I think the biggest drop off are national events and for me they are just not that much fun. I also think that having the new cars in the same classes as the rest of us has hurt attendance. All that being said, we are all getting older and for me it's just not as much fun as it used to be.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Smile Re: attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Denysenko View Post
In case you haven't noticed NHRA and IHRA, we the S/SS RACERS are dropping like flies either due to death or debilitating illness and we are not replacing ourselves. Even son and daughter legacy racers are diminishing in frequency.
Alex - Maybe instead of dropping over like flies we should be taking better care of ourselves i.e. better and more often exams , more trips to the gym , a few less adult beverages - I could go on and on .........many of us are going to an early grave needlessly .

As far as replacing ourselves its never too late - next trip to the track take a young person along .............We , the veterans need to guide the next generation .

As far as tech goes - every single division needs new blood - this is a great way for the next generation to get involved - they are begging for new people .Sure , the pay is low and the hours are long but the return is rewarding - if you know someone with potential send to your division director - we'll all be glad .And they will train ............
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Alex, hope you read the posts on re do of SUPER MOD. Many thoughts on starting over at al LOWer tech and price to get the cars back out.
Got to keep kids into cars also.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jack, you just hit a button. Very few will take the time to teach a young person about our sport. Some just go try on their own but very few. The future of our sport is passing the history on to the next generations. Open up your shop to younger generations and teach them how to work on engines, set up a car and take it to the track. I enjoy working with my son and grandsons, 13 and 6. I have about 6 young men who come in the shop on week nights, after they get off work, and work on either the race car or on one of the classics. Three have engines on engine stands and are learning to build their own engines. You are correct take young people with you to the track, give them some small part to do at the track. Intoduce them to your old friends at the track
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote