HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Question Re: unreal

[ If they had adapted Big's recommendations years ago it would be a far healthier sport, all 1320 feet of it.[/QUOTE]

Is this refering to a interview he did several years ago where he stated that they need to be slowed down and run the full 1320?
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts
Default Re: unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
[ If they had adapted Big's recommendations years ago it would be a far healthier sport, all 1320 feet of it.
Is this refering to a interview he did several years ago where he stated that they need to be slowed down and run the full 1320?[/QUOTE]

Robert, it goes back years before that even. Single block as Casey said plus motor has to be able to refire after the run and several other things like nitro %, blowers, etc.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats exactly what I was talking about on facebook yesterday when I posted the link:

http://www.facebook.com/jimmybowling...48892365167890

To recap here are some of my comments:

"They need to put rules in place to make fuel racing cheaper and easier to have larger fields. Who cares about the times on the score board. Keep the Nitro for the show/sound/feel. Less blower, fuel, rpm and other things to make them require maintenance about like an Alcohol car.. Start 1st rd on Saturday so they have more time to service cars between rounds (anything to make it easier to operate) (I doubt that will hurt Sunday specatator counts too much). High Light sportsman racing more (people in front of the tv will watch anything if you make it entertaining or interesting) More spectators, more involvement etc."

This. 32 Car fields on a Saturday night. In a time where your average alcohol guy could save and scrounge to move up to Nitro etc.

"They need to make it a better product for everyone. Racers sportsman to Pro, spectators, investors, manufacturers. Its a cycle. Motorsport runs on money. Its a cycle. Better product for the racers =more racers=more racing=more products being bought+more spectators=more advertising dollars+future racers=more races etc. Sure you throw some 10.90 index cars randomly in the mix between top fuelers with out much by way of explanation of the class its probably not going to be popular to watch. But if you mean to ****ing tell me our human race can be so entertained by american idol but we cant make various forms of drag racing entertaining to tv audiences that already have an interest in cars/racing, and can probably relate more to cars that they have owned or are thinking of owning modded in a much more attainable fashion than a top fuel or pro mod.. Then I quit!"

www.facebook.com/jimib1980
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

I'm no expert, but if they don't do something to lower costs, it will soon dry up. They could simply have a spec blower, head, fuel pump in the top fuel classes, and a spec head and manifold in Pro Stock. I think the cost of Pro Stock, I believe is 3 million a year or so. I went and watched the knoxville nationals with Sammy Swindell and Al Parker this year for the first time, and the 360 spec had more entries and as much following as the 410's. Engines are about half the cost of open. And Brodix was on hand for head inspection, the best of both worlds. What say you?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

OK, please bear with me as I slowely get to the point...
Jimi, here's an idea. Since everybody seems to be watching these ****ING reality shows which are FAKE DRAMA, why not play into that instead of yelling at the tv and stomping away? (I can't be the only one am I? LOL)
So, How about a program that would follow several sportsman teams (or pro for that matter) and get the fans and the non-automotive fans involved. I guess you could say all the force stuff is kinda like that, but focus on (1) racing and (2) multiple teams.

Each week the camera follows the top 5 Stock and top 5 SS racers. In car camera's, pit shots, breakage, dialing for next round, the "playing the ladder" all of it. Now obviously I and many other on here would want to see S/SS but what if it was top leaker? I hate them, but the "unwashed masses" would probably eat up the racing as much as the REAL drama.

Spent $1500 to get here, blew two tires on the trailer, qualified #2 then broke an axle. Hustle to get it fixed and get a buy first round, second round is the Fletch/etc.
Went to semi's and red lit. Motorhome won't start, got it started but it sunk in the mud and is stuck. Last shot is showing the motorhome and trailer leaving the track.

Now, run 5-10 people's stories in that hour episode and the other crap you put up with at the track...could be very entertaining.

If Rich Christianson can have people glued to the screen watching bracket racing...class racing should have NO problem. Heck, instead of people, base it on each track. Cover a bunch and then edit so you follow the eventual winner from start to finish.

If a dumb mechanic can come up with idea's.....

and yes I really do HATE those ****ING REALITY SHOWS!!!!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

I nominate the Emmons. Just the events surrounding them getting to the track would be good for ratings.

They generally have me in tears of laughter with all that goes on. No question that they are excellent racers, but what happens before the burnout and after the turn out would amaze you.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goinbroke that's sorta the exact direction I was going. We are obsessed with reality. It started with reality tv and now is split with social networking. There are so many businesses/organizations that have grown solely bc they put effort in to social networking. I'm not as social as my facebook would make you believe. I am a big fan of self deprication for the sake of humor and to beat others to the punch. I also like to be very self aware. So I use social networking to poke fun at myself. But when I make a status such as I did last month "My first night as an engine machine shop owner and I'm at the strip club. How cliche is that?" Its mostly due to the fact that I know the value of social networking. And I was drunk ha. We want to know behind the scenes. We want to know the exciting, the dirt, the kindness, the mundane details. This drug garbage is proof enough. A lot of us are so obessed with racing we want to be in the know about everyone and everything that goes on behind the scenes. Hang out at your local speed shop. More gossip than a salon.

Now, I have a lot of ideas on how to grow my business and get in to other areas such a promoting solely to help keep the sport alive. But even as some of you are laughing at the idea goinbroke an I talking about, that and making the racing as a product better/more affordable/profitable could be the direction we need to go. The problem is finding a balance. I don't care about money or recognition. I like those things. But the bottom line is I love this sport. I want to wake up and thinking about making hosepower, going racing, and winning races! The people and the life experiences are amazing!

I can't stand Rich Christianson or that show! Cheezy as can be!

www.facebook.com/jimib1980
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

We're going to have to learn from the circle track boys. I remember when it kind of died, and they brought it back to local tracks with affordable, restricted, policed, rules. Locally here they are packing the stands with 1500 spectators, and 50 to 100 cars a night. Half my old drag buddies are running it now. I assemble way more roundy round motors then drag. I don't pretend to know the answers, but unless we get spectators, it will eventually die.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

History Channel did something similar a couple years ago called The Madhouse I believe. It followed the open wheel modified cars and drivers at Bowman-Gray here in North Carolina. I loved it, it was the everyday struggles of the common sportsman racer trying to make it to the track and find that little extra speed, etc. Me and my wife even went to one of the races while we were at a division race at Piedmont and went back again this year to watch another one when we were passing through. Only problem was the show only lasted for one season due to poor ratings but it had a crappy time slot, Sunday night at 10. My point is that I would have never gone to watch one of those races in person if it hadn't been for that show so you guys maybe on to something just need the right situation and person to be involved.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
Tommy Gaynor

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
History Channel did something similar a couple years ago called The Madhouse I believe. It followed the open wheel modified cars and drivers at Bowman-Gray here in North Carolina. I loved it, it was the everyday struggles of the common sportsman racer trying to make it to the track and find that little extra speed, etc. Me and my wife even went to one of the races while we were at a division race at Piedmont and went back again this year to watch another one when we were passing through. Only problem was the show only lasted for one season due to poor ratings but it had a crappy time slot, Sunday night at 10. My point is that I would have never gone to watch one of those races in person if it hadn't been for that show so you guys maybe on to something just need the right situation and person to be involved.
James, don't quote me on this but my younger brother was a cup car tire carrier at the time and knows a lot of those guys at Bowman-Gray! The show went away because NASCAR bought the rights to it due to its "Negative representation of NASCAR racing" not sure how true that is but it is what I was told from a very good source.

PS they all did real well on that deal 60K-300K depending who you were on the show.