HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: NHRA allows Alum heads in stock/ss

Well then what are you going to do with all your time if that happens. You will not be able tell us we are on the road to hell, and you are the only one who see's it . We will be in hell. I think its going to be a while before that happens.
The aluminum cylinder heads aproved is not the worst idea. Gives the racers who are having a hard time locating 40+ year old castings a chance.
Nobody was up in arms when they allowed a BB Chevy a crate motor intake or brand new D ported exhaust cylinder heads with a GM part # on them. This is just a sign of the times. Alowing new production heads is not an old idea. Now not only Fords and Chevys are not the only people who have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Just think of the good part.....When NHRA/IHRA trashes stock you will be all set to run the 10.90 class or maybe 9.90's if you junk is quick enough.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Aubrey N Bruneau

At an average of $2500.00 for a pair of old core 690/583 large port 409 heads, which are almost impossible to find within 500 miles... Edelbrocks would be welcome in my world.
Unfortunately, however....in un-molested condition... the Edelbrock heads will not make the power of the old GM castings.
Perhaps this is an exception... but this is the fact.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey N Bruneau View Post
At an average of $2500.00 for a pair of old core 690/583 large port 409 heads, which are almost impossible to find within 500 miles... Edelbrocks would be welcome in my world.
Unfortunately, however....in un-molested condition... the Edelbrock heads will not make the power of the old GM castings.
Perhaps this is an exception... but this is the fact.
Aubrey, about how much could one expect to pay for a good block, heads, intake, and crank, to build a 409/425?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #24
sliver043

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean3870 View Post
JOKE!!! just call it jr. comp
mike dean
Ummmm O/K M/SA - JR COMP -- I like the sound of that.... Now i will quote Clint Eastwood nag nag nag !
sliver043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Thats a little extreem. A few new parts don't make us Comp cars. Now Modified might be more fitting. At least if you run a car with a Holley carb in stock, then you can run a brand new Quick Fuel 750 with all new parts and no HP penatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean3870 View Post
JOKE!!! just call it jr. comp
mike dean
Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Before I sold my 69 Super Bee, I could not find a pair of 906 castings out of a hugh pile we have accumulated over the years that were worth the 3k or so it takes, and my old stuff done in l995 were getting weak. I know for one new parts are needed for the old cars and they will run faster. In the case of the Mopars, the old 906 heads were 3/8 stems, 2.08 1.74 valves. The Eddys and Mopar come with 2.14 and 1.81 valves and 11/32 stems. So now one has to put in 16 new seats, 16 new guides, and 16 new 3/8 valves. This I disagree with, and suggested the heads out-of-the-box @ +10 (a bargain for any combo) and about $1500 cheaper. The heads have to meet the specs from the year claimed, hence change the aforementioned stuff, and only get +5, probably still a bargain. A move in the right direction. The original configuratiion voiced by some are gone, like Clark Gable, with the wind. And you don't have to run them, just like the rockers. What am I misssing here?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: NHRA allows Alum heads in stock/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Well then what are you going to do with all your time if that happens. You will not be able tell us we are on the road to hell, and you are the only one who see's it . We will be in hell. I think its going to be a while before that happens.
The aluminum cylinder heads aproved is not the worst idea. Gives the racers who are having a hard time locating 40+ year old castings a chance.
Nobody was up in arms when they allowed a BB Chevy a crate motor intake or brand new D ported exhaust cylinder heads with a GM part # on them. This is just a sign of the times. Alowing new production heads is not an old idea. Now not only Fords and Chevys are not the only people who have them.
I just remember when I did this very thing in IHRA years ago and all the NHRA racers hated the idea and started calling IHRA the International Hillbilly Hot Rod association. Now you guys are loving it. It was a bad idea for IHRA but now that NHRA decided to do it all is good and they can "walk on water"......can you say HYPOCRITE ! Same deal on the roller rockers ! When IHRA does it everyone says its a joke. When NHRA does it all is OK in the race car world.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 12-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Jeff,

I agree with you and some others. If you stop and think about it, when I started my way into this, wanting to run the 428FE, if I did not have a motor to begin with finding a good one to start with was nearly impossible. Later when I took my motor to my engine guy he stated that my heads(original) were probably the best since the Edelbrock were cast smaller to leave room to port and therefore showed little if any gains on his dyno. The FE head is so small, physically, that the weight savings is negligible also, and I will not have to carry the extra hp. If I did NOT have a motor, the aluminum head would defiantly be the way to go. Old parts are scarce, worn, and if we want to keep racing, we need a little help.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #29
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
I just remember when I did this very thing in IHRA years ago and all the NHRA racers hated the idea and started calling IHRA the International Hillbilly Hot Rod association. Now you guys are loving it. It was a bad idea for IHRA but now that NHRA decided to do it all is good and they can "walk on water"......can you say HYPERCRIT ! Same deal on the roller rockers !
Right on , no ford small block heads out there? Total BS. How can anyone piss and moan about core cost when they get guides ,super secret valve job and cc job all for the meager price of at least 2000$ labor + parts .Your engine guy can give it to you in the behind but the guy with the cores is robbing you. You picked the combo now buy the correct factory heads already! Might as well go to crate motors now as everyone needs all the heads, rockers ,carbs ,lifters ,etc that never even came on a STOCK car
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I never said there weren't any small block Ford cores out there, just that it's much cheaper/ easier to get a set of Edelbrocks if I was to run SS
Tim Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote