HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Jon Sarrett

Liked 136 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: M-200 torque converter installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Had this happen to me a couple of times when a VERY reputable converter company did not machine the converter splines correctly....thought I was loosing my mind....ps....2 different companies....
I had 1 just like that too. Drove me insane! I built trannies for a living so I have seated tons of converters without issue until this. It was on a 727 but I did have issues with my 200 as well. It was a tight fit but I eventually got it, just had to work for it.

Someone mentioned holding the pilot while spinning it. You may have to bump it with the butt of your hand while it's spinning to get it to seat. Get a little dab of tans gel and dab a little around the snout of the converter by the pump lugs.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sarrett View Post
I had 1 just like that too. Drove me insane! I built trannies for a living so I have seated tons of converters without issue until this. It was on a 727 but I did have issues with my 200 as well. It was a tight fit but I eventually got it, just had to work for it.

Someone mentioned holding the pilot while spinning it. You may have to bump it with the butt of your hand while it's spinning to get it to seat. Get a little dab of tans gel and dab a little around the snout of the converter by the pump lugs.
Jon brings up a good point.
Of course if you don't build trannys , you wouldn't have trans gel laying around.
You might want to take some white lube and fill the pump slots in the hub and paint a couple of splines on the input shaft and on the stator support, and then try the converter as far as you can , with palm pressure only.
You should be able to see an impression of just what's causing the hang up.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Lesson I learned the hard way, if the converter is fully engaged you shouldn't be able to run your fingers behind it unless you have small fingers. I'm not judging anyone by the size of their fingers that's the politicians job.....
Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I've installed several TurboAction Metrics that did not have the pilot snout that is used for the factory lock up converter cut off and prevented the converter from fully entering the pump.
Some converters will accept the snout , others will not.
If yours has the snout that is likely the problem.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, Tom Goldman turned me on to my problem. It was the pilot snout on later lock-up converter transmissions. Cut it off and problem solved, almost.

Still had trouble getting it on all the way. So, I took Mike Delahanty's advice and stood the trans upright. Didn't have a garbage can handy, so I used the cherrypicker. Worked like a charm.

I thank everybody that responded. That's what's great about this site. Everytime I get hung up on something, the answer is always here.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #16
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Zlatkin View Post
Well, Tom Goldman turned me on to my problem. It was the pilot snout on later lock-up converter transmissions. Cut it off and problem solved, almost.

Still had trouble getting it on all the way. So, I took Mike Delahanty's advice and stood the trans upright. Didn't have a garbage can handy, so I used the cherrypicker. Worked like a charm.

I thank everybody that responded. That's what's great about this site. Everytime I get hung up on something, the answer is always here.
I kinda thought Tom was right on this.
You can hack saw that thing off or use a cut off wheel, but unless you want to disassemble the front half , I would stick a Q tip with some grease on it in the hole first. Leave it sticking out, and cut it along with the nub. Then just grab it and pull it out, chips and all.