HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default MegaSquirt system on stockers?

Just wondering if anyone is running or has tried to run any of the MS systems on their stockers or other cars and their experiences tuning, driving and bracket racing. I'm finally needing to upgrade my OEM system and I'm to cheap to go buy one of the BIG 3(E,F,&H) systems.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: MegaSquirt system on stockers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10stocker View Post
Just wondering if anyone is running or has tried to run any of the MS systems on their stockers or other cars and their experiences tuning, driving and bracket racing. I'm finally needing to upgrade my OEM system and I'm to cheap to go buy one of the BIG 3(E,F,&H) systems.
S10....I sent this via private message because well, its a secret................ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

But seriously, if you are already and EFI guy then youre probably in better shape than we were, my idea of Fuel Injection involves mechanical pumps and pills.

We tried to find who knew (and manufactured the best kits for other "Evil Projects" and needed someone to teach and show us what we didnt know)

Jerry and his crew Matt Cramer, Russ Patrick and the whole crew all (pretty well know for building some odd efi stuff) as well as their ties to and with James in the Uk, James Cortina I think is his handle one of the head coders of the project) to write the custom code for us that we needed for the Hemi trigger and cam wheel.....They did it in stellar fashion. We sent them our Challenger SRT8 and the DP Manifold and in 3 days they had installed , wired, written the code, tested and had it running........on an SRT8 Challenger test mule.

They are a joy to work with and well, fuel issues are one thing were not having. I have never ever heard from them NO, I have heard, Sure....no problem, and then they make it happen so fast its crazy....

They are one of the companies, that sells and SUPPORTS their kits, from assembly to tuning....GREAT guys to work with and an impressive facility.

http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/cust...challenger.htm

http://www.diyautotune.com

They are the people to talk to in my opinion, I would call them even if I was going to use another system.

When I told them what I wanted and what I needed, and if they could do it, I didnt get "Yeah" and then a BS of failed dates on my nutso schedule I got, give us a few days to talk to everyone needed to make this happen right and well get back to you. The answer was yes, but it was a thought through YES.......not a Yeah Ill sell you one and leave you to hang like some of the other vendors of systems.

AND there are a LOT of guys in the MS community that will help and want to see your success. Since its a "community source" type project your sucess reflects on them.

If I can be of any help drop me a line or give me a call

Cheers

Chris
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
S10....I sent this via private message because well, its a

AND there are a LOT of guys in the MS community that will help and want to see your success. Since its a "community source" type project your sucess reflects on them.

Cheers

Chris
I think the Megasquirt was originally developed by Bruce Bowling and Al
Grippo they were a couple of the patriarchs of the old diy-efi.org group a collaboration of programmers and electrical engineers who I think started out reverse engineering GM ecm’s back in the mid or early 90’s. Fun bunch of Brains that started it all to put EFI on their automotive projects. I think a couple of the guys were into turbo charging grenades. They would get a junkyard engine throw crazy amounts of boost at it and see literally how may seconds it would last on the dyno.
I have not visited the web site or been on the mailing list for many years but I do recall on the site for the 68332 Al did a page with all the control algorithms it was interesting stuff.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edgeworth View Post
I think the Megasquirt was originally developed by Bruce Bowling and Al
Grippo .

Being a programmer the idea it can do ANYTHING I want it to, thats attractive....I was joking with the Guys down at DIYAutoTune and I said I want the ECU to be able to trigger my auto garage door openers when the CO gets above a particular reading they said no problem (it was a joke on my part) but they were serious...Our system has some "trick" items that well, I didnt even know were possible let alone easy.........

Very cool system in my opinion, just buy a prebuilt, the one thing about the "open source" projects is there is a TON of documentation out there on just about every kind of install and engine combo imaginable.

Picking the RIGHT MS system is a biggie and the right support items.....there are a TON of variations of both the I and II and soon the III the I and II are NHRA approved...I dont think the Microsquirt is, it may be though.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Drooze for the inpute. Your secret is safe with me. I was looking on that site yesterday and I came across the Challenger and said to myself"I wonder if that is that Drooze guy's car." Well I guess we know who that sponser was you were talking about. Sorry for doubting BTW. What I was mainly concerned with was the limits of the MS as in RPM, Odd vs. Even fire 4.3s and so on. Was looking for a # for Tech Support or Tech sails. I hate doing everything online and getting hung up on something hard to me and yet easy to someone else. I end up having way more problems getting software installed on my laptop than the tuning itself. I was also wondering about the MAF. I would like to try a AN,SD, and a MAF setup for speed and that other one. You know, the thing that helps you in bracket racing. I believe it starts with a C. Anyway, Thanks again. And yes it sucks being #1qualifier at a race in 08 and being bottom of the sheet in 2010 moreover the fact I was on the tree all weekend. I just can't seem to put me and that truck on the same page. YET

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
S10....I sent this via private message because well, its a secret................ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

But seriously, if you are already and EFI guy then youre probably in better shape than we were, my idea of Fuel Injection involves mechanical pumps and pills.

We tried to find who knew (and manufactured the best kits for other "Evil Projects" and needed someone to teach and show us what we didnt know)

Jerry and his crew Matt Cramer, Russ Patrick and the whole crew all (pretty well know for building some odd efi stuff) as well as their ties to and with James in the Uk, James Cortina I think is his handle one of the head coders of the project) to write the custom code for us that we needed for the Hemi trigger and cam wheel.....They did it in stellar fashion. We sent them our Challenger SRT8 and the DP Manifold and in 3 days they had installed , wired, written the code, tested and had it running........on an SRT8 Challenger test mule.

They are a joy to work with and well, fuel issues are one thing were not having. I have never ever heard from them NO, I have heard, Sure....no problem, and then they make it happen so fast its crazy....

They are one of the companies, that sells and SUPPORTS their kits, from assembly to tuning....GREAT guys to work with and an impressive facility.

http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/cust...challenger.htm

http://www.diyautotune.com

They are the people to talk to in my opinion, I would call them even if I was going to use another system.

When I told them what I wanted and what I needed, and if they could do it, I didnt get "Yeah" and then a BS of failed dates on my nutso schedule I got, give us a few days to talk to everyone needed to make this happen right and well get back to you. The answer was yes, but it was a thought through YES.......not a Yeah Ill sell you one and leave you to hang like some of the other vendors of systems.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Why did you change your mind George?

Did you get your files OK?

Ed
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Ed thanks. Not changing mind but exercising options. The price for that cutover with the software I would need to purchase was a little higher than expected. I may have also found what was my problem for the SNs. I called you yesterday, but you were very busy. I will call later. I promise I won't honk the horn OK.LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Why did you change your mind George?

Did you get your files OK?

Ed
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I pm'd my cel number to you.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
FoundSoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jerry from DIYAutoTune.com here, I'll be glad to share our number, we just don't have it posted up on the site as I'd have to hire twice the tech support staff and raise prices on everything to pay for it . Email is generally more efficient for most questions (websales@diyautotune.com) and the three guys manning the email and phones are quick to respond M-F 8-5 EST. That said there's time when a phone call just works better and we understand that too. 678-261-8789

The tech guys are Matt, Russ, and Ben, and I'm sure one or more of them will drop by this thread soon to say hey.
FoundSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Matt Cramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Matt from tech support here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10stocker View Post
Thanks Drooze for the inpute. Your secret is safe with me. I was looking on that site yesterday and I came across the Challenger and said to myself"I wonder if that is that Drooze guy's car." Well I guess we know who that sponser was you were talking about. Sorry for doubting BTW. What I was mainly concerned with was the limits of the MS as in RPM, Odd vs. Even fire 4.3s and so on.
The highest RPM I've seen the MegaSquirt used at was around 16,000. The only time I've seen one "run out of RPM" has been more along the lines of sensor compatibility issues.

Even fire is a lot easier to handle but the MS2/Extra code will run odd fire motors too.

Quote:
I was also wondering about the MAF. I would like to try a AN,SD, and a MAF setup for speed and that other one. You know, the thing that helps you in bracket racing. I believe it starts with a C. Anyway, Thanks again. And yes it sucks being #1qualifier at a race in 08 and being bottom of the sheet in 2010 moreover the fact I was on the tree all weekend. I just can't seem to put me and that truck on the same page. YET
GM MAFs are not all that easy to use with the MS - I know, kind of surprising given that GM sensors are usually the default. Support for frequency based MAFs is planned for MS3 but not there yet. I have seen some people use frequency to voltage converters to make them work but this is nowhere near easy and very much a use at your own risk idea.

Ford MAFs are a bit easier. However, most of the knowledge in the user community revolves around speed density and alpha-N.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote