Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #21
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Crankcase Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I'm no expert for sure, but I also don't have any Dart blocks lying about. It's my understanding that the Dart blocks oil differently and likely less oil up top to contend with. Using these old GM blocks my solution just seems to make sense to me.
Rich, here's a Dart SHP:

The valley is much like a big block Chevy. They are a priority main oiling system, so the mains get oil first, then the cam/lifters....just the opposite of a factory small block. You can flood the top end pretty easily, so the lifters need to be chosen carefully.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:05 AM   #22
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Rich, here's a Dart SHP:

The valley is much like a big block Chevy. They are a priority main oiling system, so the mains get oil first, then the cam/lifters....just the opposite of a factory small block. You can flood the top end pretty easily, so the lifters need to be chosen carefully.
That's a nice looking piece there Alan...maybe some day before I die I will get to join the big boy ranks. With holes that large I would at a minimum have to screen them just for peace of mind.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #23
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I'm no expert for sure, but I also don't have any Dart blocks lying about. It's my understanding that the Dart blocks oil differently and likely less oil up top to contend with. Using these old GM blocks my solution just seems to make sense to me.

Dart blocks do use priority oiling and they get the same oil up to the top as a stock block. Nothing is restricted on the block to decrease the flow of oil to the top end.

Don't use the Dart cam bearings with 3 holes to much bleed off if you want to talk about oil running down on the cam.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #24
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl hinkson View Post
Dart blocks do use priority oiling and they get the same oil up to the top as a stock block. Nothing is restricted on the block to decrease the flow of oil to the top end.

Don't use the Dart cam bearings with 3 holes to much bleed off if you want to talk about oil running down on the cam.
......and IIRC that's easy to see when priming on the stand with the intake off........I'll vouch for that.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #25
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

I was getting oil in the intake. I'm going to try an oil separator and reconnect the pcv valve to the factory spot in the back of the manifold. So let me see if I understand this. At idle the gases are being sucked into the valve cover breather through the crankcase, out the pcv valve and back into the manifold. At full throttle the pcv check valve is closed and the valve cover breather is handling all evacuation of the crankcase?