HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Factory Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
Default True Horsepower Classes in NHRA

Now that they separated the New cars from the Old cars wouldn't it be more exciting to rate the New cars for their actual Horsepower?!

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a 1,000 HP class at a 3.25 weight ratio. That will put most of the newer cars about as light as they can get them. I know everyone likes to protect the index but at the end of every year most of these newer cars end up adding 15-35 HP on their car anyway. Most of the FSA cars out there can run 8.50's to 8.40's! So you make the index on a 1,000 HP class 9.35 this way we don't have to keep changing the weight on the cars. It will save time with NHRA between paperwork at the half year and end of year horsepower punishments. I know it would make me feel better saying I race a 1,000 HP car instead of a 500 HP car! If you go to an event and a fan walks up to you saying "Man that was a fast pass" and ask you the Horsepower of your car and you tell him it's rated at 500 HP. He says "hell I have that much power in my diesel pick up truck!" and looks at you like your lying. Then he's not a fan anymore because he thinks we are lying to him! For those of you working with Manufacturers I think they will walk a little taller into work on Monday knowing that you did well at the race with their 1,000 HP COPO or Drag pack or Cobra Jet.

It's just a thought here guys, I'm new to this game only being involved with NHRA for 5 years. Could you please explain to me your pro's and con's of not telling the truth about Horsepower?

The Stock Eliminator guys are the hardest working racers to find Horsepower. You have more rules than any other class. I don't want to tell my Grandson that I worked for 5 years on one combination and only made 325 HP. What do you guys think?

Jim@JDM
Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: True Horsepower Classes in NHRA

Jim,

The HP rating that NHRA places on any combo is just a factor. Not the actual HP developed by the engine. It is used for comparison only. You can tell the spectators what your actual HP really is if you choose to. My car is rated at 295 factory and 313 NHRA factored HP and actually makes about 615.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Jim,

The HP rating that NHRA places on any combo is just a factor. Not the actual HP developed by the engine. It is used for comparison only. You can tell the spectators what your actual HP really is if you choose to. My car is rated at 295 factory and 313 NHRA factored HP and actually makes about 615.

Mike,

Thank you for the reply, so your saying they compare them to what the factory said the original power was? If its just a number they throw out there to say how much your car has to weigh, then I would like to keep away from Horsepower being added when running the cars to their full potential.

Most of the cars we work on are already in the highest class now called FS/A. The index on that is 9.70, to keep it an average of .85 under the index means you have to run no faster than an 8.85. Our cars will run 8.40's. There is no class above this for us to go faster. It still would be cool to see the cars rated for what they really make.

Jim D'Amore
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D'Amore View Post
Mike,

Thank you for the reply, so your saying they compare them to what the factory said the original power was? If its just a number they throw out there to say how much your car has to weigh, then I would like to keep away from Horsepower being added when running the cars to their full potential.

Most of the cars we work on are already in the highest class now called FS/A. The index on that is 9.70, to keep it an average of .85 under the index means you have to run no faster than an 8.85. Our cars will run 8.40's. There is no class above this for us to go faster. It still would be cool to see the cars rated for what they really make.

Jim D'Amore
No it's to compare one combo to another. It really has little to do with the factory rating or the actual HP output of the engine. There is always going to be problems when you are running an under factored combo at the top class in the eliminator. If you take too many hits you could run yourself out of the class. In my case the combo that I run there is no car in the country that could come within a tenth of hitting an auto trigger on the AHFS. Anyone running the same combo as me would have to run all out to get to a second under the index. This is pretty much the same for the older combos.
The formation of the new classes for the factory race cars is a step in the right direction. I don't think NHRA had a plan or a clue when the new high HP factory cars came on the scene. For you guys to be able to run all out there needs to be a new eliminator just for your type cars. Then they could just adjust the index with out changing the weight on the car. Similar to the way they deal with the modified cars in SS
Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Stocker 2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D'Amore View Post
Most of the cars we work on are already in the highest class now called FS/A. The index on that is 9.70, to keep it an average of .85 under the index means you have to run no faster than an 8.85. Our cars will run 8.40's. There is no class above this for us to go faster.
Jim D'Amore
Yes there is a class for you to go faster. It is called Super Stock. That's where special built factory racecars that were never legal to be licensed for the street belonged in the first place. Stock eliminator does not need 8 second/160 MPH cars chasing slower classed cars.
Stocker 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker 2 View Post
Yes there is a class for you to go faster. It is called Super Stock. That's where special built factory racecars that were never legal to be licensed for the street belonged in the first place. Stock eliminator does not need 8 second/160 MPH cars chasing slower classed cars.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I truly fail to see the difference in factory involvement now compared to factory involvement in the '60's and early 70's...... Didn't they also build limited production, factory racecars then that dominated stock?
I understand that "traditional" Stock Eliminator racers don't seem to care that much for the newer cars. It seems to me that they would welcome them and the new racers and fans that they attract with open arms. I do see the need to keep the indexes fair in order to keep the older cars competitive, but beyond that, see no issues.
I guess 40 years from now, the guys still racing the currently new crop of factory cars will be complaining about the 4 second nuclear powered factory race cars having no place in Stock Eliminator, lol.

Rant over.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I truly fail to see the difference in factory involvement now compared to factory involvement in the '60's and early 70's...... Didn't they also build limited production, factory racecars then that dominated stock?

Rant over.
Let's look at the limited production early factory racecars and where they actually ran.

63 Z11 Impalas ran FX, 63-64 max wedge Mopars ran S/S, 64 Thunderbolts ran S/S, 65 race hemi Plymouths and Dodges ran S/S, 68 hemi Darts and Barracudas ran S/S, 69 AMX with crossrams ran S/S. None of these limited production factory racecars were legal for stock classes yet they had serial numbers and although it was not recommended, did get licensed for the street in a few cases.

Can't do that with todays limited production factory racecars that have been allowed to run in Stock. They should be running in S/S only.

Last edited by BBF67; 12-15-2015 at 09:15 AM.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

I am never sure what the HP rating is all about. Only thing I can imagine is a reason for someone to buy a new car. Newer factors are always a guess. (Usually off by 100 or more HP).Even the old cars lurking in the books are found to be off by many hp and that's why people day dream of dominating by building them. Once they are built and paid for a different combo surfaces and many "perfect combinations" become also rans. This is the long term fault of the lb/HP classification method but it is the only way to get apples, oranges and bananas into a class system to race together.
Many people miss Modified where is was lb/cubic inchs. This took away the fact your combo was falsely factored and that's why you lost the race. Some complain that money affected these classes but maybe people should look again at the costs of a new Stocker from the factory which cannot be licensed if it fails to win.

Last edited by Dick Butler; 12-15-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

How many Hp does a new 427, 425 hp rated Copo motor make? Anyone? Might that be a wonderful motor in an old car?
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
Mike Keener

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

Every dyno is different Dick but a reasonable figure for a 427/430 COPO is in the 810 range. A shootout 427/450 version is around 880 ish.

There again every dyno is different
Mike Keener is offline   Reply With Quote