HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Stephen Hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1992 Camaro Front end "shimmy"

What can I do to keep the front end from shaking the steering wheel out of my hands after a wheelie? First time out leaving off the t-brake Saturday, when the front end would drop it would just about shake the steering wheel out of my hands. I have been told my front end alignment isn't set up properly. Any ideas on where to start?
Stephen Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts
Default Re: 1992 Camaro Front end "shimmy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hughes View Post
What can I do to keep the front end from shaking the steering wheel out of my hands after a wheelie? First time out leaving off the t-brake Saturday, when the front end would drop it would just about shake the steering wheel out of my hands. I have been told my front end alignment isn't set up properly. Any ideas on where to start?
You need a steering dampener. Ed Quay sells what you need. Check out their catalog, Page 17.

http://www.edquay.com/camaro/82-92camaro_catalog.pdf
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Also ,it would be wise to install Ed's tie rod kit. ......It makes a major improvement in the bump steer. .....The damper is a must have on this front end. ....Tom
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

had this issue with my 80 big block camaro,front end comes up with the tires off the ground,tires are not rotating,when you car comes down it may be coming down not level,more than likely the right would hit first(pulling the wheel right)then the left would hit(pulling the wheel left),even if you install a steering damper it mite still jerk the wheel,do you run the stock rear sway bar? does the car drive good other wise gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Stephen Hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The car drives good otherwise, and I am running the factory rear sway bar. I've seen cars wiggle the front wheels a little when they come down, but this thing felt like it was doing the same thing funny cars do after the burnout sometimes. It never did this until it started pulling the whels a good bit. I see stockers and super stockers doing giant wheelstands, but look just fine after they come down. Are they all using the Dampner?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Terry Cain

Liked 222 Times in 102 Posts

Stephen,
I'm not sure where your located but, in Dayton, Ohio is a racer by the name of Richard Doane. He's one of the best on front ends in this part of the country. I don't have his number but I'm sure someone on here will. He also races a Camaro about that same year.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hughes View Post
The car drives good otherwise, and I am running the factory rear sway bar. I've seen cars wiggle the front wheels a little when they come down, but this thing felt like it was doing the same thing funny cars do after the burnout sometimes. It never did this until it started pulling the whels a good bit. I see stockers and super stockers doing giant wheelstands, but look just fine after they come down. Are they all using the Dampner?
Stephen, this is a known issue with the 1982-1992 Camaros. Ed Quay addressed this issue for the 182-1992 cars with his front end components. The suspension applicable to 1967 thru 1981, is not the same design as your car; the early cars have an upper and lower control arm with a conventional shock absorber. However, from 1982 and on, the suspension is a strut design.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 579 Times in 126 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me 20 years ago when I put my 86 camaro together. Put a damper on it is all you need to do. If you can fabricate a little just get a damper from a volks bug and adapt it to the drag link. it is easy to do.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Stephen Hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can do some fabrication, Anybody have a pic of one installed? Should I be attaching one end to the drag link and one to the frame, or one end to the K-Member?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Ed Quay kit has a bracket that welds onto the frame and another that welds onto the center link. His kit comes with pic instructions.