HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #21
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: Stick verses Automatic (Stock Eliminator)

It is all abouut the fun factor but I think that the low hp cars like our 283 combo are definately quicker as a stick, but at some point, it seems that the roles switch in the higher hp cars depending upon the combo of car and engine. The autos with the fast 3 speeds and radials combined have still somewhat of an advantage in et, not mph. The Jerico/GForce trans have been around for a while and the clutches are better than ever.

One thing to consider is that any fear of running the stick from your experience from years back should be erased. The stick cars today are very easy to drive with very little practice. and I think they can be as consistent as any car. Waay more fun and I bet at the end of the day, not much different in cost than any top of the line auto set up.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #22
rickster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Stick verses Automatic (Stock Eliminator)

jesse i would not be concerned with having trouble cutting lights with a clutch pedal,as far as shifting goes,i don't know anyone around here that uses a clutch to shift in stock eliminator......

oops did i say that out loud????
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #23
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
More than can say that with a stick !!!!

Look at how many bracket cars are auto versus stick , not to mention that a heavy BB car is much harder on parts .
20 Years ago stick cars were very hard on parts with 2-3000# pressure plates. But with the clutches of today, parts breakage is very minimal and consistant. As Jeff has pointed out an auto isn't as consistant when you start adding in the heat factors. IMO the biggest reason 90% of racers run autos is that they just don't understand how easy it is to run a stick and are afraid of them breaking parts like they used to.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the auto has several advantages given to them by nhra that being in comp softer index's and weight breaks,in superstock air shifters and trans break buttons leaving off of the finger is definately faster,try leveling the playing field a little bit.put the trans break buttons on the floor where they use their foot and take away the air shifters and see how many go back to running a stick in superstock.in comp take away the weight breaks and stiffen up the index's.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
Jesse Knapp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe there's more work involved (driver) with a stick than the auto. That statement alone is a good reason their are much more autos than sticks. I said it myself, the easy way is the automatic. Rick, I realize that todays trannys are shifted without the clutch. However, that clutch is used on the launch. Also , one has to control their rpm, no 2 step, while focusing on the tree. If all that is done consistantly, one still has to manage the clutch and I've seen some stick racers pull their hair out dealing with that. It's a real challenge above and beyond that of racing stock/superstock as the rules allow. Got to think about this awhile. Jesse
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #26
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

An ajustable clutch, like pretty much everything adjustable, comes with a learning curve. However, with a bit of time, and some help from another stick racer, it didn`t take me long to get a handle on it. I`m not saying I`m an expert by any means, but I can normally get 2 seasons with a clutch disc. As for "going rounds" last year I only got to about 9 races, as we had a lot of rain outs up here, but I did get a win and 2 R/U`s, and finished the year in 3rd place, despite missing 1 race due to work. I am just a normal driver, certainly no Biondo, or Lang, and have some good days and bad days on the tree, but when I`m "on", the car can cut some pretty good and consistant lights, and ET wise is normally very consistant.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

Per listening to the top stock guys from a few years ago, they felt the stick was a disadvantage over an automatic. They would have traction issues on 1-2 shifts as the 9" tire could not take any more.

For our six pac cars, if we can move the first car length with issue, were generally going to have a good run. I don't think the high hp stockers can say that.

Jeff, with todays good clutches and transmissions, can the violence of the 1-2 shift be adjusted?

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Ray Todd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

automatic cars can use radials and stick cars use bias, the hoosier radial measures up to 10 inches wide while hoosier bias tire is closer to 8 inches wide. this is an advantage for a automatic.
Ray Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

There's absoluty nothing compared to the sights & sounds of a "Stick car" rowing thru the gears.

To quote one of the best "stick guy's" on the planet!
"No Girlymatics"
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
Troy Henderson

Liked 105 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barsamian View Post

To quote one of the best "stick guy's" on the planet!
"No Girlymatics"
Sombody please make that into a decal!

I slide the clutch between the gear change enough to take the violence out of it. You could pull some timing too if so inclined.

I do think it's amazing how you high hp automatic cars hook those radials. Those tires are very unforgiving...
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote