Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #51
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 291 Posts
Default Re: Who has raced the same car the longest time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
James Lee ,55 Chevy. I saw it at the 72 Amarillo World Finals. Before that, I don't know .Anyone?
Still racing it.
James has been racing a 55 Chevy for as long I as can remember however I don't think its the same car.

The original was damaged in a towing accident, (motor home was being towed by a wrecker I think) coming back from Memphis many years ago.

I think the car he is racing now is a different car but I could be wrong, Ed Wright would know.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #52
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

Division One is loaded with "heritage" race cars. Reference any qualifying sheet and you will see the same names and cars for many years, especially in Stock Eliminator.
Ken Montgomery's SS '65 Plymouth A990 has to be number one on the D1 list.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 01-02-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add comment
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #53
mike withers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

[QUOTE=Mike Carr;160300]Here are some other, possible one owner cars and/or cars that have been racecars (almost) all their life:
Larry Mohar's '69 Camaro
Harry Huntzberry's '69 Camaro
Gary/Wayne Ewing '69 Camaro. Dad thought he saw it at 1970 Indy as a Stocker
Ray Paquet '67 Fairlane (and maybe the T-bolt too?)
Pat Gerek '67 Fairlane. Bought from Jim Van Cleve, who got it from Bill Ireland?
Harry/Larry Golliday '69 AMX
Joe Comella '68 Hemi Dart
George Baptiste '68 Hemi Cuda
Gene Daugherty '67 Camaro
Gene McBean '69 Mustang, bought from Tom DeCamp, bought from Jeff Velde?
Mike Wither's '69 AMX, bought from Ray Wino, bought from ??

If anyone can fill in the blanks, correct any false info, add a story, etc, feel free.[/QUOTE

I bought the 69 AMX from Ray Whinery, Lisbon ohio. he was the original owner it was a factory race car delivered to Bill Swad motors in Columbus,Ohio. Ray raced it from 1969-1974. i have raced it ever since. It has never been on the street except in a trailer. For a long period of time these were the most factored cars(80hp). Originally rated 340hp factored to 420 hp
Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #54
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a couple of one's i'm not sure of but somebody might be able to confirm,dickie ogles ss/b camaro and ken hutchison's ss/d and also the rachford family from northern ky kris and his dad george have had a 69 torino cobra that george started racing in d/s and still have and are racing today.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #55
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Hi Mike. I have a story to add to your AMX, and also a question about a CJ Mustang in relation to Lisa Buckingham's story.

Dad found a photo of your car from 1971 Indy, and an entry from that years Entry List. SS/D AMX, green, driven by Herb Mecklin of Columbus, sponsored by Bill Swad motors. I'm guessing this is the car you have now?

The one '68 Nitro 9 Mustang SS/F, owned/driven by Jeff Velde. The story we thought we knew, it was originally owned/driven by Bob Glidden, became the Nitro 9 of Brandon and (Gene) Turnage, then went to Velde, then ended up in Fairmont WV and was raced by Steve Retton. This may have been the car that Ms Buckingham referenced in her post, ending up at auction? I guess there was also a second Nitro 9 Mustang that is now Blair Patricks? Again, if we have falso info, we apologize.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #56
ssracer3821

Liked 113 Times in 30 Posts

Hey Mike - your Nitro 9 trail is pretty accurate. It went from Glidden to B & T to Velde. Then I bought it from a friend of Velde's in the midwest. I raced it once and broke the motor, but got it fixed with the help of Tom DeCamp. We raced it for a year and broke the motor again at the Popular Hot Rod race in Martin, MI.I Then I sold it to a guy named Robert Cornette in Kentucky. To the best of my knowledge it was never raced again in NHRA but I could be mistaken. It may have ended up in W VA. We were told it surfaced at a collector auction and brought big money. The Nitro 9 deal was with B & T and to the best of my knowledge there was only one. All I know for sure was that I did own it and sure wish I still did! lol

Buckingham
ssracer3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #57
Mike Bassin

Liked 117 Times in 18 Posts
Smile Re: Who has raced the same car the longest time

Have to agree on the amount of racers in Div. 1 that have been out there competing for so many years. Seems like Ken Montgomery might be getting the nod here. Car bought as a race car from new. Ken ran most Div. 1 events year in and year out and I don't think he missed racing at least some every year since 1965. Again he has cut back his racing mostly due his automotive repair shop takes a lot of his time. His car is a one owner deal and raced for 45 years. This is an excellent subject and and lot of good racers mentioned by everyone.
Mike Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #58
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

I started going to IHRA races with my brother in 1982 and Mike Bowles high winding "Good ol Charlie Brown" 57 wagon was the man to fear in super stock. I don't know when he started with the car but he has won countless races and a championship or two with it. I know he has raced it with 265's, 283's single and two 4bbl's. Mike is a great guy, and the screaming stick wagon always drew the crowds attention! Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #59
Wayne Kerr

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts

How about Marvin Graves 1968 SS/AA Dart. (Tammy's Toy)
Probably has more runs than most of them??????

See you at the races,
Wayne Kerr

Last edited by Wayne Kerr; 01-02-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #60
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

James Lee's car is the same one, all pretty'ed up.
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote