HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

I looked into this very combination over 15 years ago, however, at that time, the 302 2 barrel was factored by NHRA at 200 HP, so I elected to go with a 85 Mustang 5.0, as at the time it was only rated 5 HP higher, and had a larger H/R cam, and a 4 barrel carb. Later the 302 2V dropped from 200HP to 180, then 170, and under 150, so the car I was thinking of dropped from M/S down the T&U. Not positive, but I seem to recall the only year of Fairmont/Zephyr that had a 302 engine and 4 speed was a 79, but not a big deal, as the 78 & 79 are virtually identical. I have owned my 78 Fairmont 2 door sedan bracket car for 30 years, and have had a few street strip Fairmonts, and as mentioned, almost everything from a 70-93 Mustang interchanges to the Fairmont, other than wheelbase related items, as the Fairmont has a wheelbase thats 5" longer. The Fairmont rear wheelwells are much lower than a FOX Mustang, so fitting a 30" tire would be a chore, but realistically, a 8 1/2x 26-15 slick should be adequate, and they fit with no reworking anything. Also Hedman offers 1 1/2" long tube headers that fit well and don`t cost much. Should be a good project, have fun.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Technically, Rory is correct that the 302 4-speed was not offered in 1978 in a Fairmont-Zephyr. It was available in 1979 and the engine specs are identical. I'm not sure that NHRA would know that the 78 4-speed was not a production car (nor would they care). The 4-speed transmission was an SROD with OD in 4th gear. Same transmission as used in many late 70s-early 80s FoMoCo products.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Technically, Rory is correct that the 302 4-speed was not offered in 1978 in a Fairmont-Zephyr. It was available in 1979 and the engine specs are identical. I'm not sure that NHRA would know that the 78 4-speed was not a production car (nor would they care). The 4-speed transmission was an SROD with OD in 4th gear. Same transmission as used in many late 70s-early 80s FoMoCo products.
Thanks for the input on the Fairmont. One of the decisions I needed to make was what year to run the car, 78 or 79.

I'm not an expert on anything but I have looked a lot of Fairmont stuff in the last couple of years. You guys probably forgot more than I'll ever know.

I'm not positive if they made a 4 speed 302 in 78 so in my opinion it may fall into a gray area.

My car is a 79 that was built with the 2.3 4cyl engine and an SROD. I did get confirmation from NHRA that I could run a Jerico, or other non-overdrive 4 speed in this car for stock eliminator.

I know you guys are trying to keep me from making a mistake with the build. I can always run as a 79, but I will take a HP hit. I may have to petition NHRA to bring the 79 hp down to the 78 level. Same engine specs anyway.

There are very minor differences in the cars. I have collected enough parts to run it as a 78 or 79 Fairmont or Zephyr.

This is a scan out of an original 1978 Fairmont brochure. I'll use this as my documentation with NHRA if questioned.

Thanks for your help...more build to follow.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-22 78 Fairmont Scan 002.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	33645  
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Shadylane

I’ve been working on the car for 3 months now. Lots of small things accomplished and I have acquired a bunch of parts.

Thanks to Sean Marconette who sold me his old, slightly used, Advanced Clutch flywheel. Called Rob Youngblood and he set up a clutch assembly to go with it. Plus Sean has provided a lot of advice on suspension and other stuff.

My friend who has a Nova stocker sold me his old, slightly used, spare Jerico DR4 transmission. Sent it off to Jerico for an inspection and input shaft replacement. Turns out it had a severely pitted 1st gear and had to be replaced. Bit the bullet and bought a Long ratchet shifter, ouch! Already had a Quicktime bellhousing.

Bought a TCI starter from Kevin Zaskowski on Class Racer.

Another friend sold me a new Painless switch panel that he didn’t need.
I have more parts and pieces than I have room for in my shop.

Ordered a rebuilt manual rack from Rock Auto to replace the power rack (same as a Fox Mustang). I received it in December and left it in the box until I needed it. Opened the box in March and of course it’s the wrong one. Turns out they are not available from them any longer.They allowed me to return it. Ordered and new one from Summit that fits and it was only $15 more than a rebuilt.

Decided to stay with the 4 lug hubs and brakes up front. Disassembled the front brakes and ordered new pads, calipers and brake hoses from Rock Auto. The parts didn’t fit, turns out the spindles had been replaced with Turbo Coupe spindles. I had to return and order new parts 3 times before getting the correct ones.

I’m pretty sure Rock Auto has my name in a file that says I don’t know what I’m doing…they may be right.

Last year I determined that if I was going to build a race car I better learn how to weld PROPERLY. A friend and I decided to take a MIG/TIG welding class at our local community college. We don’t take the class for credit so it only costs $135 per semester. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Not only is the instruction first class but the machines are newer Millers and they have over 50 of them. My Mig skills have improved 10 fold. Tig welding still leaves a lot to be desired but I’m getting better. We are allowed to bring in projects so I’ve built my seat to floor brackets and an aluminum weight box. This is my second semester going for a third in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine 2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	33647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Trans Mock Up.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	33648  
Old 04-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Cool:

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Thanks Kelly! Without the help and direction from Mark Walton, and others I would not have the car I have. So if I can help in any way just ask.

As for the OEM manual trans unless I am mistaken an SROD was a 3 speed with OD, so technically a 4 speed is legal in this car. My 83 came with a 4 speed with OD so I legally run a 5 speed. OD is considered another forward gear. Where the issue for another person I have tried to help, is his car only came with a 3 speed manual and he has petitioned NHRA to allow a 4 speed just like the auto 2 speed cars are now allowed a 3 speed. Fair is fair!

Per the 2016 rule book on manual transmissions

TRANSMISSION, Manual
OEM or NHRA-accepted aftermarket transmissions having same
number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not required) as original, and
reverse, may be used.

As for the clutch, you are going to be happy.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
Shadylane

Trying to get the Trick Flow 185 CNC heads approved for stock with a 2 HP increase.

In reality they probably would loose HP with no cam, carb or manifold to support them. Just using them for mock up.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
I’ve been working on the car for 3 months now. Lots of small things accomplished and I have acquired a bunch of parts.

Thanks to Sean Marconette who sold me his old, slightly used, Advanced Clutch flywheel. Called Rob Youngblood and he set up a clutch assembly to go with it. Plus Sean has provided a lot of advice on suspension and other stuff.

My friend who has a Nova stocker sold me his old, slightly used, spare Jerico DR4 transmission. Sent it off to Jerico for an inspection and input shaft replacement. Turns out it had a severely pitted 1st gear and had to be replaced. Bit the bullet and bought a Long ratchet shifter, ouch! Already had a Quicktime bellhousing.

Bought a TCI starter from Kevin Zaskowski on Class Racer.

Another friend sold me a new Painless switch panel that he didn’t need.
I have more parts and pieces than I have room for in my shop.

Ordered a rebuilt manual rack from Rock Auto to replace the power rack (same as a Fox Mustang). I received it in December and left it in the box until I needed it. Opened the box in March and of course it’s the wrong one. Turns out they are not available from them any longer.They allowed me to return it. Ordered and new one from Summit that fits and it was only $15 more than a rebuilt.

Decided to stay with the 4 lug hubs and brakes up front. Disassembled the front brakes and ordered new pads, calipers and brake hoses from Rock Auto. The parts didn’t fit, turns out the spindles had been replaced with Turbo Coupe spindles. I had to return and order new parts 3 times before getting the correct ones.

I’m pretty sure Rock Auto has my name in a file that says I don’t know what I’m doing…they may be right.

Last year I determined that if I was going to build a race car I better learn how to weld PROPERLY. A friend and I decided to take a MIG/TIG welding class at our local community college. We don’t take the class for credit so it only costs $135 per semester. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Not only is the instruction first class but the machines are newer Millers and they have over 50 of them. My Mig skills have improved 10 fold. Tig welding still leaves a lot to be desired but I’m getting better. We are allowed to bring in projects so I’ve built my seat to floor brackets and an aluminum weight box. This is my second semester going for a third in the fall.
Glad to see you opted for the welding class....guys that work on and/or build there own stuff no matter what it is earn my respect

Nice project
Old 04-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Looks great, like that combo, should be lots of fun !!!!
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #20
Shadylane

When I bought the Fairmont it had an 8 point mild steel roll cage already installed. I decided since I'm running in a slow class I would remove the halo and the 'A' pillar bars. I needed to save some weight but I still wanted protection from a faster car side collision and roll over. If anyone could see how tinny these cars are it would scare you! No need for a certified roll bar at this point.

Getting in and out of the driver’s seat was a real pain in the butt, literally, so I added a swing out door bar. I'm 65 years old and the joints don't bend like they used to.

Once I installed the swing out bar I mocked up the JAZ plastic seats. For some reason only know to me I thought that using a high back seat would limit the visibility out the right side of the car so I opted to the low back seats. Because of the low back seat I had to add a head rest to the roll bar, and since I was already in the welding mood I attached a seat brace and a shoulder harness tab.

I used good old 1X4 wood planks for the seat mock up to set the height and angle. I built the seat to floor brackets out of 1/4 aluminum sheet which I sheared to my liking and TIGed it all together. I made the passenger floor bracket a little lighter as it should be unoccupied most of the time. After reading lot's of comments about these seats on Class Racer I bolted them all the way through the seat but I left the internal nut and used it for a little extra strength.

Front fenders, hood and trunk lid are off to the body man for straightening and paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door Bar 5.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	33802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat Brace 1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	33803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat Mount 2.jpg
Views:	330