HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default trend tool steel lifter oil metering

G,day,
Freshening a Cleveland for myself here at present and am using a cast iron nitrided cam from bullet and some trend tool steel uncoated lifters.
Previous lifters were flat tappets from howards, edm, they meter oil with a disc under the pushrod cup with a groove .088" x .010" deep, on the top of this disc is the same groove at 90 degrees to the underneath one.
You guys would have seen it..
The trends came with a .030" hole in the pushrod seat, no other form of metering body is open under the seat.
Lifter bores are bushed with .060" holes.
I noticed while priming the engine without the pushrods and valve gear on it that seemed like bulk oil was coming through the lifters.
Done some playing with a std set of crower lifters, same metering as the howards, same rpm on the drill, higher oil pressure.
Have put some restricted pushrod cups in the trend lifters with .014" holes.
Seems to be similar now to the crowers / howards.?
I saw a post from Vortecpro the other day about these things over oiling and did ring him and will share the results with him when I get my head around it.
Has any one played with these and tried to achieve similar flow through them as the std crower or howard type lifter( not sure of the correct terminology for that style of metering)
The oiling hole for the trend lifter is in the waist band of the lifter same as the crower type.
Just wanting to double check my self here, these things don't need the top end flooded, rather have the priority at the bottom end.
Thanks very much!
Cheers
Paul
tuffxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: trend tool steel lifter oil metering

I fixed a set by making restrictor/valve to go in lifter,took .005 brass shim stock and cut disc with gasket punch, .625'' if remember correctly. They fit on bottom of pushrod seat and inside of lifter body,the spring holds them against bottom of pushrod seat and pushrod seat fits down in lifter body,so disc can't move sideways,there is no pressure on disc besides the spring,you have to cut small groove across bottom of pushrod seat so oil can go between disc and pushrod seat, only needs to be few thousands deep.
I tried restricting oil galleys and when got rear rockers oiling about right front would not oil and there was no oil coming out between lifter and bore and these had edm holes and oil wasn't coming through them.
If make disc cut the groove carefully and test before doing them all cut to depth that gets amount of oiling you want,myself I like just a enough to see it is oiling and keeps rocker oiled,
My suggestion is if going to use Trend special order with oil hole located above band on lifter, PPPC precision products performance center lifters have oil hole like that without any valving and they oil right.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

G,day Mike,
Thanks for the reply!
Did you try them with their restricted pushrod seat?
So I take it you added a spring inside the lifter to keep this new disc up against the seat?
Do you have any pictures of this?
Thanks very much!
Cheers
Paul
Old 03-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Of course you know we are the only two people that has ever had this problem,any time I call about something like that I am always told they haven't had any one else have any problems LOL.
If you haven't had over oiling problems Trend lifters then you probably haven't primed your engine and heard oil pump sucking air in a matter of minutes. no pics.these were limited travel lifters,pushrod seat has .015'' travel and has spring that holds it against the snap ring.pushrod seat if remember correctly was 3/4 at the top then stepped down to 5/8 the 3/4 part set against a step in lifter and 5/8 part stuck below step and spring was down in bottom part,if yours are solids could probably do the same just have to come up with some springs. I didn't know anything about them having restricted pushrod seats and called Trend and talked to them about it and they never mentioned restricted pushrod seats. They did mention restricted pushrods,but this engine had good pushrods that were almost new and to me that seems like a band-aid, I say fix the problem.
Mike Taylor 3601

Last edited by Mike Taylor 3601; 03-31-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Gday Mike,
Thanks very much for that! I will give it a whirl as is i think with the restricted cups.
The area difference between a 30 thou and a 14 thou hole is 4.7 times smaller.
And the area of that compared to the area of one side of the groove in a normal metering plate in a normal lifter is close to the same size if the plate has moved over against one side of the bore
And by the gauge and visually it does look very close to being the same.
Will prime it again with all the valve train on and recheck when the pushrods turn up.
I dont think there would be any point in having a restricted pushrod after the 14 thou hole in the pushrod cup?
I did send Bill the techguy from Trend an email and he did say they had re ports of over oiling but since doing the restricted seats hadnt heard anything ,
He has been very helpfull!
I don't understand the low travel lifters? They sound like a solid with just a spring under the pushrod cup, why, is it a class thing?
The solids have a fair bit of clearance between the cup and the circlip as well, as do most solids.
Cheers and have a nice day!
Paul
Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

.015'' travel and they are legal hydraulics.
Mike Taylor 3601
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

G,day Mike
I'll take that as a class thing☺
Cheers
Paul
Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
1969chevss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a big time Cleveland engine builder out of Minnesota his name is Tim Meyer company name is TMEYER INC he should be able to answer the lifter questions you have. Try giving him a call his number is 507-238-4141 or check him out on facebook or his website. Very nice guy and he know his stuff.
1969chevss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Gday,
Thanks very much for that !
Will get on to him
Cheers
Paul
Old 04-09-2016, 03:53 AM   #10
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

G,day,
Some playing a mate and I did today,
Cheers

Some tests with clevo with gibbs xp4 oil, 140F.
Bushed lifter bores with 60 thou holes.
Had a piece of hose clamped on one pushrod and measuring oil into a medicine cup using a stop watch.