HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #121
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

He did albeit briefly. If memory serves me correct, I recall reading about this in Mopar Action circa early 1990s. There was an article on an unrestored 1968 Hurst Hemi 'Cuda called Psychotic Reaction. It was painted black w/lace panels.It was on display at the Chryslers at Carlisle event in 1993 (25th anniversary for those cars).

In the article it mentioned Bobby Harrop originally bought the car but sold it soon afterwards. I forget if he raced it or not at all. I still have the issue. I'd have to go looking for it to get the exact details.

M68
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #122
mopar68
VIP Member

Check out the rear wheels!

"Like wow, man."

(photo courtesy Bill "Redman" Floyd via Bob Rice)

M68
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #123
mopar68
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know why Bobby Harrop was never offered a '68 Hemi car?

He won the US Nat's with an A990 and then got an AWB Dodge and was very successful with it but the disappears from the scene.

JimR
Okay, I did some searching. I was wrong on the color (hey, it's been years since I've seen that article! Heck, it might've even been an B & W photo! ) but right as far as lace paint treatment is concerned.

“Psychotic Reaction,” has never been tubbed, and it still wears its original psychedelic paint scheme from 1968. It is very original and was raced only a few times. Bobby Harrup was a partner in the original deal, and he drove the car down the track a couple of times. The partnership then dissolved, and the car sat until the 1980s. Jim Kramer is the current owner. As Jim was getting the car ready for the show, he found the original Certicard above the glovebox.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/S...ock/index.html

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-05-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #124
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W J View Post
Both of those cars definitely ran at the Sanford, Me. track at that time. Ramstrom changed paint scheme of Bloodhound and name to Flintstone Charger. Gene bought the '65 A990 Hemi Coronet from Bob the next yr, I believe and campaigned the car until he got the '68 Dart.....Steve O'Neill will attest this info, I believe. Steve still owns the Coronet beauty. WJ
Not to be too critical on the time frame, the Dart probably wasn't at Sanford as I believe the track closed after the '67 season. Some people don't recall the Maine track running that late but I attended the NHRA points meet there in July and saw Grump's SS/C Camaro, Ed Miller on his was to the Championship, and a host of Jr. Stock cars from the NJ/PA area. The Epping track had opened and the need to go to Sanford's airport runways was on the wane. I probably saw the Dart at Epping around 1970, and may have seen it at Conn. Dragway a year later?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #125
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, you're right. Coronet for sure, but Dart, no... Can you remember when, or about when, Lebanon Valley opened? WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #126
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I believe the 'Valley opened about 1961...which I think was also true of Dover and also Connecticut Dragway....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #127
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Also Niagara in Upstate NY...I'm no expert but I think a lot of tracks opened about this time. Drag Racing was really growing! Might have been the Detroit/Super Stock movement that caused this!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #128
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar68 View Post
Okay, I did some searching. I was wrong on the color (hey, it's been years since I've seen that article! Heck, it might've even been an B & W photo! ) but right as far as lace paint treatment is concerned.

“Psychotic Reaction,” has never been tubbed, and it still wears its original psychedelic paint scheme from 1968. It is very original and was raced only a few times. Bobby Harrup was a partner in the original deal, and he drove the car down the track a couple of times. The partnership then dissolved, and the car sat until the 1980s. Jim Kramer is the current owner. As Jim was getting the car ready for the show, he found the original Certicard above the glovebox.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/S...ock/index.html

M68
Thanks for the info.

What the hell were we thinking when we painted our cars like that?

Must have been some goooood stuff!

JimR
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #129
mopar68
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Thanks for the info.

What the hell were we thinking when we painted our cars like that?

Must have been some goooood stuff!

JimR
You're welcome, Jim. Or maybe it was the laquer fumes? Or both! You have got to remember this type of custom painting (lace, cob webbing, metal flake, etc.) was a carry over from the late-1950s/early 1960s custom car era. That combined with some "good stuff" and great music from the on-going hippie/psychedelic era definitely provided the inspiration and carried over into race car artistry.

What an era...

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #130
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm so old that I remember Car Craft and several other magazines having articles on painting your car with lace table cloths as patterns.

I'm sure I still have those magazines....heck, I've got over 3000 in boxes in the garage.

It was a great time!

JimR