HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear tire air pressure

this feels like a really stupid question. what should air pressure be in the rear tires?

i know all cars are different, some like higher than lower and that the type of car matters, as does weight. but, my question is for me and my car.

its a 9.6 full body camaro weights 3050 with me in it, i got 8 lbs in my big tire car. my 60 ft times however have no reason to them. i've been at low as 1.31 for the first run of the day and i've had 1.31 as the last run of the day. unfortunally i've also had a few 1.35 and some 1.37. this as we know is death at the finish line. your either holding a ton, or you hope that your oppounet had like a .110 r/t since you don't have a pray of running the number.

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear tire air pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZMANRACING View Post
this feels like a really stupid question. what should air pressure be in the rear tires?

i know all cars are different, some like higher than lower and that the type of car matters, as does weight. but, my question is for me and my car.

its a 9.6 full body camaro weights 3050 with me in it, i got 8 lbs in my big tire car. my 60 ft times however have no reason to them. i've been at low as 1.31 for the first run of the day and i've had 1.31 as the last run of the day. unfortunally i've also had a few 1.35 and some 1.37. this as we know is death at the finish line. your either holding a ton, or you hope that your oppounet had like a .110 r/t since you don't have a pray of running the number.
I have 28x11.5 on the back of my Firebird and run between 10 1/2 to 11. This is a footbrake car. When I ran 28x9, I ran 11.5 to 12. I use M/T bias ply's.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks bobby

but, thats not what i mean by big tire. i ran those pounds also when i had the smaller tire.

no my question was for door slammers weighting 3000 lbs with 32X14.0X15 i got 8lbs. some folks say i should have less, but the car weights so much.

your thoughts?????????

Carlos Mendes
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OH, they are big for me, LOL. My brother runs something like a 14x32 and runs 9, I think. I usually don't check his tires. His wife does that for him. He also runs a footbrake car and M/T tires.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are close, given the variances of tire gauges at low pressures, you could run anywhere from 6 1/2 to 8 1/2 and be "correct"....it also matters whether it is a stiff sidewall, the front/rear weight balance, and how much it gets up on the rear tires for the launch.

If you aren't wadding the tires on the launch, they leave a full footprint, and wear even across the tread section, you have it right.

Sounds like you are having a hot track / tire compound issue to me.

I ease up on the burnouts when the track is hot, as well as running a "medium-hard" (Goodyear D-4A) compound for that purpose.
When the track temps exceed 110-120 degrees, I do a dragster type burnout and roll to the line.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi dave

no i don't have the corage to do a dragters type buntout. with no line lock at all, i'm not sure it would clean off the tires enough and "hook" on the hit. sometimes i'll do a shorter burn out and roll forward. its just those 60 fts not being consistant enough for my liking. just was wondering if pressure helped one way or the other.

as for the foot print yea i know about that one to. seems smooth right across, its about time to rotate them i got about 20 runs on them now, time to flip them over

Carlos Mendes
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Joe Sprint Bros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't forget to measure the rollout while you're rotating them.Joe.
Joe Sprint Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why ?????

Carlos Mendes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
mrolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran 8-10.5 on my 14.5 x 32's on my 3200# 65 442 clone running as quick as 9.90.
If you think you're 60's are inconsistent , try radial slicks! On a poorly prepped track my 30 x10.5 radials will 60' Either 1.50 or 1.80 ,& not much in between. Now on a decent track they'll be 1.50 all day!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Carlos, the tires can be a differen't circumfrence even though they are the same size so measuring the rollout of each tire will tell ou this. Also in a 2500 lb car and 2700 lb car i run 6.5 to 7.0 In a 3100lbs car We run 7.5. You need to run as high as pressure as you can w/o spinning or being inconsistent. So i would start out around 7.5 and go up from there. And it does depend on the gauge, but i use two of the 80$ jegs gauges and both of them read exactly the same.