HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #4481
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Hey Clint

Below are a bunch of pics of how I have mine mounted. I understand Tim's desire of putting a motor plate into it, but if it never has had one before, why install one now. It was good till now right???
As far as the lead in the trunk. Hey, that's pretty cool. Get a flashlight and mirror and have a look in there. These truck lids are very heavy with no added weight to them if the torsion bars have been removed to assist in the lift.

liteweight
]

Thank you for the photos, very helpful, and looks terrific. I assume that Tim at FHO is just concerned because the engine is going to be making 300 or more hp than the current one. But I posed the question to him, does he think it is absolutely necessary, because I would rather go without it, if possible. He hasn't responded yet.

As for the trunk lid, I too questioned whether it might be possible that the lid itself was just that heavy without the mechanical assistance, but the weight seems extreme. Also, the certainty of added weight was confirmed when I was put in touch with an old racer who was friends with Dick Smith and worked on the car, and said he "thought we put about 100 lbs of lead in the trunk lid of Dicks car"! Yup, that sounds about right, lol.

Last edited by LO23; 03-30-2017 at 06:33 PM.
LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #4482
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfen View Post
I agree with Liteweight, you already have a well sorted out drag car. if it ain't broke...

btw is that a single holley regulator feeding that hemi in your gtx?

The car was sorted out (I assume) in its current configuration, but it will have MUCH more power, as well as 150 (?) lbs less weight already in the front end. Plus much different tire technology, and probably some other factors I haven't considered, and suddenly I think it is going to need some more "sorting" as I go along here. But I agree with you and Charlie A- start with it as is, and can always paint up a different trunk lid if I need to lighten the rear later. Thank you guys for the responses.

Yep, just single Holley regulator on the Hemi in the GTX. You worried it might not deliver enough fuel? That's just what was supplying the 440 that the car came with, and I guess I never thought about it when we swapped the hemi. Seems to be working fine. I run a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and keep tabs on things..

Last edited by LO23; 03-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #4483
Terry Witzel

Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Terry, I invited Ruel Nichol over here. He was the owner of this car new. He told me a couple years ago that he picked it up from the local train yard where it was unloaded new, and proceeded to drive it home....20 miles or so. Thanks for sharing that pic. I copied it and sent it to Ruel. He had never seen it before. Figures the car was new here.

liteweight

I have no info on that pic., I found it over at Yellowbullet.
Terry Witzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #4484
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

LO23. re holley regulator. Fine for going for coffee but definitely not for a quarter mile pass. Consult with your engine builder, Tim, about proper fuel delivery and ignition to support the power he's building you.
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #4485
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO23 View Post
Thank you for the photos, very helpful, and looks terrific. I assume that Tim at FHO is just concerned because the engine is going to be making 300 or more hp than the current one. But I posed the question to him, does he think it is absolutely necessary, because I would rather go without it, if possible. He hasn't responded yetl.
My motor dynoed over 900hp and 725 ft lbs. Just for perspective. 490 cubes

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #4486
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO23 View Post
Thank you for the photos, very helpful, and looks terrific. I assume that Tim at FHO is just concerned because the engine is going to be making 300 or more hp than the current one. But I posed the question to him, does he think it is absolutely necessary, because I would rather go without it, if possible. He hasn't responded yet..
Just for perspective. The 490 Elfhunt in my Dart dynoed over 900 hp and 725 ft. lbs mounted in OEM location. It is steel tho not alloy. Difference being location where the pull is located. The alloy block may be more stable using themotor plate in the front of it

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 03-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #4487
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfen View Post
LO23. re holley regulator. Fine for going for coffee but definitely not for a quarter mile pass. Consult with your engine builder, Tim, about proper fuel delivery and ignition to support the power he's building you.
Ignition- I did ask him about, and he set up the MSD distributor and I am running an MSD 7 box.

As for fuel- I think I have a Holley black electric pump (not at home currently to check), and the Holley regulator. Like I said, mechanical fuel gauge shows steady, adequate supply under all conditions, but I will look into it further... don't want to toast that wonderful hemi. Thank you for the tip.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #4488
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Just for perspective. The 490 Elfhunt in my Dart dynoed over 900 hp and 725 ft. lbs mounted in OEM location. It is steel tho not alloy. Difference being location where the pull is located. The alloy block may be more stable using themotor plate in the front of it

liteweight

Got it. Thank you. I will be sure to visit with Tim some more to get the particulars. 900/725- nice! Have you ever taken it down the strip with your current setup ?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #4489
340duster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any more pictures of the Shadowoods Barracuda in post 4477?
340duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #4490
Liteweight
VIP Member

Kirk barnett posted this on facebook. I'm wondering if this could be the King Dart before lettering. Also known as Spider.

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 04-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.