HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default NHRA Rulebook? Confused!

In the 2009 rulebook on page 120 Section 9A (of the Super Stock under the Body:7 section) specifically for the FLOOR paragraph that I'm confused about.

Per the rulebook:

I'm confused about these two sentences:

Area between framerails must be stock floor, in original location (WHEN DOES THIS APPLY?). Area between NEW rear framerails (from four link crossmember rearward only) and body may be replaced with material equal to or heavier than original (WHEN DOES THIS APPLY?); must be in original location. All other floor material must be stock and in original location. SEE General Regulations 7:5.

My understanding is if you don't back halve the car then sentence number 1 applies and if you back halve your car with a ladder bar/4 link then sentence number 2 applies?

Example: A stocker running in SS applies to sentence # 1 and all other back halved cars applies to # 2???

My camaro is a back havled car with the required sheet metal from the rear suspension crossmember. Is this a problem during tech inspection.GRAY AREA???

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Rulebook? Confused!

What they are after is stock flooring, flooring that has not been raised or otherwise relocated. If you back-half your car, all cut out flooring should be replaced with like thickness / weight / material. Same with wheel tubs, i.e., no aluminum or other lite-wight materials.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As archaic as it is, I believe that the rule is clear. There is no sentence #1 and sentence #2 applying differently to different situations. The replacement material that they refer to is between the BODY and the new frame rails only. All other floor must be the stock flooring from the tunnel to the new frame rails (center of the floor, out) This applies to the trunk as well; refer to page 273; general regs 7:5 (SS trunk floor). That being said, I have looked at several SS cars in the last couple of years that have complete replacement floors from the rear of the front seat mounts to the taillight panel which seem to pass tech without a problem. I dont know what the criteria for forgiveness is but it seems that a high quality replacement floor that is made of the accepted material (same guage sheet metal as stock) and is in the stock location, is OK with NHRA. The rule should be re-written if this is the case. The rule is especially stupid in the trunk are on some cars; a rules clarification would promote much nicer cars and would serve no performance agenda.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

So if one has accepted .024 sheetmetal in the whole back half of the car this isn't acceptable in NHRA SS class, but is in IHRA?.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Tom is completely correct. I believe if it looks correct (between the frame rails as Manny is inquiring) there shouldn't be a problem. But I suspect if your car wasn't back-halved as a SS car to begin with you probably have some issues. Your .024" metal is required to be same as OEM and that includes the tubs.
I think if pressed many would tell tech the parts were replaced due to rust repair.
Next time NHRA is in town, run it by them.