HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 183 Posts
Default Re: Leaving before Tree question

Years ago at the Englishtown Nationals a Super Stock racer rolled the beams on a bye run and was DQ’ed. He didn’t come back for the next Rd.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
sst5167

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

It's interesting to me that I come across this topic now. This is something I have never been clear on. Just this past weekend at the Sonoma Div race, I had the bye in the super gas semi's. Instead of taking the chance, and not having a clear understanding of the rule, I staged the car, watched the tree drop, then got on the chip and let go. I was 1.150 on the tree. I wasn't willing to take any chances. I've been doing this a long time, and feel kind of dumb for not having a clear understanding of the rule.
sst5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst5167 View Post
It's interesting to me that I come across this topic now. This is something I have never been clear on. Just this past weekend at the Sonoma Div race, I had the bye in the super gas semi's. Instead of taking the chance, and not having a clear understanding of the rule, I staged the car, watched the tree drop, then got on the chip and let go. I was 1.150 on the tree. I wasn't willing to take any chances. I've been doing this a long time, and feel kind of dumb for not having a clear understanding of the rule.
Mike,
First off congrats on the win at Sonoma. Awesome car, might rank pretty close to Justin Lopes car as one of my favorites out there.
That's my deal, not trying to get anyone in trouble or point fingers at anyone just wanted an answer as to what is right and wrong. I mean right now the guy that got DQ'ed at the race sits #2 in points for my series only 1 round out from first. We still have 4 races to go and a lot of racing left to do so anything could change but, would hate to see a championship get decided like that. As you can see from the posts here, it's pretty split, some say he's good, others say its a DQ. Just would be nice to have a clear cut answer so when 2020 comes around and the rules are set for the series we can implement that and were all on the same page.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Why don’t you ask Dave ley?
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #15
BKSG1198
VIP Member

I did and he said it’s up to the starter or if they had a timing issue that is why they were let back in. Heck a guy at MIR this weekend had a bye run, never went forward, went backwards (cut a .000 light) and was in next round...lol
Liked
Old 08-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Wild Wild West

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions), on a bye run a LBTA should be treated no different than a red light. The only difference is that on a bye run red light, you won't see it on the tree if the tree is set properly. Having the bye run means that you have "won" or automatically advanced into the next round, UNLESS you cross the center line or outer boundaries or crash. Again, that's just my opinion.
Advancement or DQ would be fine as long as that rule is known by everyone before hand.
If you are ever in that situation and want to make a full run or hit the tree and are not sure of the rule, just put 1 or 2 seconds more in the delay box and go for it.
Wild Wild West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #17
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

This is from the 2019 NHRA Rulebook.

SINGLE RUNS
In situations where a driver is making a single run, he or she
is considered the winner once he or she stages and receives
the start signal or is declared the winner by the official starter.
If a competitor crosses the boundary line on a single run, the
elapsed time is voided for lane-choice determination

Dan
Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #18
BKSG1198
VIP Member

I spoke to a few racers this weekend who told me that once the person stages and as long as no one is in the other lane then they can break the beam even if the tree never activated. It’s called the John force rule as I guess this happened to him previously. Obviously, it’s still a very very gray area with some tracks and racers. I know it happened this weekend at Atco in TAFC. A driver got a bye after his opponent broke on the burnout, he took the tree and hit the 330 cone, even his team thought they got DQed and were bummed till they were told because nobody was I. The other lane they were clear and onto the next round.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I wanted to add....

Earlier it was said that if you LBTA you were in violation of going down track when the starter did not clear you to. That would get you DQ'ed possibly..

Well once you are given the signal to do a burnout and stage the only way the starter is going to stop you from continuing is to hit the flashing reds on the tree and then walk out to motion you to hold or back up.....

You're not in violation of anything if you were cleared to burnout and stage.....and not signaled in some way to NOT attempt to take the tree....
Liked
Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #20
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
This is from the 2019 NHRA Rulebook.

SINGLE RUNS
In situations where a driver is making a single run, he or she
is considered the winner once he or she stages and receives
the start signal or is declared the winner by the official starter.
If a competitor crosses the boundary line on a single run, the
elapsed time is voided for lane-choice determination.
I don't know that this rule clears anything up. I assume the start signal is one (or more) of the amber lights flashing on the tree, but the 'or' muddies it all up. It basically is just the starter's call but there is no basis given for how the starter would decide that.