HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: Gatornationals from the past...

I raced at the first Gators in 1970 but didn't qualify. If I remember correctly it was the 64 quickest qualifiers off the records. I also ran the first divisional at GV in '69, Bobby Warren and I were in the final of stock at that race.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
Joe Fasano

Liked 235 Times in 42 Posts

Dear Jim, Funny you should mention 1971, I attended also to watch. I think Jerry Stein won stock that year. I attended at least 7 more times in the eighties. I remember one year maybe 1984 I took my nephew Ron who was 17 years old at the time and had never been on a plane. We had to take a puddle jumper prop plane in a bad storm from Jacksonville to Gainsville. I was so glad when we landed for his sake, the race was postponed that year because of all the rain. Forgot to mention I am in South Carolina right now should be there tomorrow to watch, looking foward to 49 years later. Thanks Joe.

Last edited by Joe Fasano; 03-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Joe Fasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyparker View Post
I raced at the first Gators in 1970 but didn't qualify. If I remember correctly it was the 64 quickest qualifiers off the records. I also ran the first divisional at GV in '69, Bobby Warren and I were in the final of stock at that race.
Jimmy ----- What was the outcome ?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fasano View Post
Dear Jim, Funny you should mention 1971, I attended also to watch. I think Jerry Stein won stock that year. I attended at least 7 more times in the eighties. I remember one year maybe 1984 I took my nephew Ron who was 17 years old at the time and had never been on a plane. We had to take a puddle jumper prop plane in a bad storm from Jacksonville to Gainsville. I was so glad when we landed for his sake, the race was postponed that year because of all the rain. Forgot to mention I am in South Carolina right now should be there tomorrow to watch, looking foward to 49 years later. Thanks Joe.
Joe---I was there in 84 never seen so much rain. The ditches had four or five feet in them.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Dave Edwards

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

I attended in 1973 with my newly built '65 Plymouth hemi, ss/ba, first time out with new car. Raced off national records then and no breakout in final round but if below existing nat record a new one was established. Old record 10.70 or 80 and Butch Leal won with (ss/ba Hemi) with a 10.34! Obsoleted my car...
Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
The 1970 Gators was the first race I worked with Buster Couch on his starting line crew. Lot of great memories at the Gators and the other events back then. Think we got $40 for the race. Wish I knew about sun screen and ear plugs back then.
That is way cool! Got to work with Buster that’s awesome!
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

Danny, it's a long story but in the end I was awarded the win.

Jimmy
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts

Built my 71 GS Stocker in the fall , winter of 75. Had never raced a NHRA race before but after I received my Permanent number they sent me a entry for the 76 Gators ,so we entered.Quite a learning experience.We had not even weighed the car before we got there. Had only a couple of runs on it.Then it was all out on the index.No dial ins till the next year. After the first run found out we were more than 100lbs lite. Tech guy asked me how I was going to make weight since no ballast was allowed in those days. I told him a little fuel, some floor mats etc. After we got back from the gun store we made the weight ok.lol Did run the index,but lost to Rock Running in the first round. Had fun,and got away from the nasty Illinois winter for a few days.Went every year till the late 80s. Got down to 3 cars one year,and lost on a heads up run. Really got me working on the car so that would not happen again.

Last edited by Lyn Smith; 03-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote