HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 06-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default D-Day

June 6, 1944--- THE LONGEST DAY -- thank you to all that served and especially to those that GAVE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE----RIP FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: D-Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
June 6, 1944--- THE LONGEST DAY -- thank you to all that served and especially to those that GAVE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE----RIP FED 387
Not much on the news about D day. I guess they are more concerned about that purse designer that committed suicide and the Eagles not going to the WH instead. Maybe later ?????
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: D-Day

MSNBC had a very good story on the D-Day 6 June 1944 commemoration during the morning block and a repeat later in the day. As this is also the 50th Anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy they have been showing the news coverage from 1968. I'm fairly sure that there will be a segment on the "Big 3" during the news hour, as well as Fox and NPR. I would be surprised if NEWSMAX wasn't having special coverage, that is if they can find the time with all their "Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich" programming.

I went to the National D-Day Museum in Bedford, VA a few years ago, and I highly recommend it. I'll try to find the pictures I took and post them later. The symbolism of how the grounds are laid-out is notable as well. They have a larger-than-life diorama of the approach to Omaha Beach with air-jets in the water representing the bullets ricocheting around the Soldiers of the 29th Infantry Division. It will take your breath away! Bedford lost more fathers, sons, brothers and cousins on that beach, on that day, then any community in America. Make sure your children remember that.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Here are the pictures from the National D-Day Memorial and Museum in Bedford, Virginia. As I mentioned, the symbolism here is striking, but you really need to experience for yourself as the sights AND sounds make quite a statement. The location off of U.S. Route 360 is very close to I-81, so if you're heading Northeast from Bristol, this would be a worthwhile side-trip.

In reference to the original post, there was more coverage of the D-Day commemoration this evening, including a rather "bizarre" story concerning the Hon. Heather Nauert, late of the Fox News Channel, and now the Acting #4 in our Department of State, who somehow inexplicably thought that D-Day was a "sign" of our long standing "friendship and co-operation" with the German people! Hopefully someone took the time to explain to her that we were on opposite sides of the beaches of Normandy that day, where over 9000 American Soldiers "gave their last full measure of devotion" to bring peace to Fortress Europe.

Very proud to be a Soldier for Life - Today and Everyday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0088.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	45424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0047.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	45425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0049.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	45426  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0057.JPG
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	45427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0084.JPG
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	45428  
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
1matcoman

Liked 275 Times in 109 Posts

Thank you for posting this, Lew.
We have all intentions of visiting the memorial there sometime this, or next, year.
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote