HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 7AL or Digital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
SC3347, can you ellaborate on the it's bad out of the box? what didn't it do? I'm just curious
Same question from me, and I run a 7AL3. Been great.

Make sure you have the 0 chips in the four retard slots if you're not using them. That messes people up some time.

FWIW, friend at the track this weekend had his 7-digital die on him. Talked to 1/2 dozen others, we all run the 7AL3, and we're all good with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
sc3347

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I mean it did nothing,no spark no led showing signal,went through all msd testing with thier tech guy,he said return it to the speed shop for another unit.
sc3347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
craig addis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you do buy the digital 7 dont get the one with traction control. Bought it by mistake. It goes into a fail mode for no reason. Then you have to get it unlocked by leaving the ignition on for 24 hours to unlock it. MSD says that it cant happen. It has happened twice now, once using the msd tester and last friday. Just forked out 800.00 for a new digital 7 without TCD. Its a great unit when it works.
craig addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Most of the digital units I'm aware of that go into traction lock mode have been traced down to the crank trigger pickup, you need to run the shielded one with the ground strap. For some reason it seems to get stray signals from the older non shielded ones. Joe
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
craig addis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will check into the crank trigger. You never knew when the box would lock up. Did it to me friday fifth round at ten grand nationals. Is that crank trigger a three wire unit?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Dave Polichena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
Same question from me, and I run a 7AL3. Been great.

Make sure you have the 0 chips in the four retard slots if you're not using them. That messes people up some time.
This thread came at a perfect time, I'm getting ready to wire up a 7AL3 after using a digital 6 box, if I add the zero chips to the retards do I need to ground the terminals also? Just wondering as I have heard people having issues if not wired properly.
Dave Polichena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
Ed Martin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 7AL-3 has gone out twice in 85 runs. The most recent was at Darlington Pro Am. I was in the second round on Saturday, did my burn-out, lit the first bulb, and the car shut off and that was it. No more 7AL-3's for me.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig addis View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check into the crank trigger. You never knew when the box would lock up. Did it to me friday fifth round at ten grand nationals. Is that crank trigger a three wire unit?
Craig, the sheilded pickup is not a 3 wire it has a shield wire wrapped around it and a grounding lug at the motor end, obviously to ground to motor. This prevents"noise" from entering the pickup wires. Joe
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
This thread came at a perfect time, I'm getting ready to wire up a 7AL3 after using a digital 6 box, if I add the zero chips to the retards do I need to ground the terminals also? Just wondering as I have heard people having issues if not wired properly.
I don't think so. I've run one with just the essential wiring, and the zero chips all year without a single glitch (knock wood). Of course, I'm absolutely anal about bigger than spec wire, soldered connections, great grounds, etc. Wiring right takes a little more time up front but has a huge payback. There are no more frustrating problems than electrical ones.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
craig addis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Joe thanks for the info. Found it online. Getting ready to go to Budds Creek. I left the other box in the car for there since it ran well with it. I talked to MSD numerous times and they never told me about the shielded pickup.