HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Squirrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dominator Carb in Supergas

Hi Bob, Thank you , I have sent John an email and photo of the car to see if he has any records from the Smith Bros. days. Something may come up, thanks again , cheers Patrick.
Squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

John' Racecraft is a good shop.
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with a Dominator in any of the Super classes when they are set up right and not overkill for the engine. The right boosters help, they can improve signal and recovery when the stop comes off. As far as 2 or 3 circuit, it really depends on the stop type, engine airflow, and RPM run while on the stop. For most a 2 circuit works very well and is very stable on and coming off the stop. Inline stops I would always use a 2 circuit. I have not messed with a disc stop but it should be fine as well, pulling fuel and air though the center. On an under carb blade stop a 2 circuit usually works well, but it depends on how far the blades are closed. If it's a large engine that pulls a lot of air and runs the set RPM with the blades closed far enough, or the RPM is set too low, the boosters are not able to provide a stable fuel delivery. And with the stop blades well below the idle and transition metering they are unable to provide enough fuel either. This can cause the RPM to flutter on the stop. Having intermediate fuel in this case can make an improvement, but it doesn't need to be much to do it. Excessive intermediate fuel is never wanted or needed, it will only hurt consistency and performance. It was originally added to work with individual runner engine where the runner pulsing is not dampened like it is with a plenum style intake. The pulses disrupt the booster signal at part throttle, so intermediate fuel is added to fill in the hole. If you chose to go to a 3 circuit BLP wide body metering blocks are the only ones I will use. The idle circuit uses no tubes in the main wells, and they allow the idle feed restriction to be located at the bottom of the main well.

Last edited by jmarkaudio; 09-17-2013 at 10:29 PM.
jmarkaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Squirrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, Finally got the Beretta home and have had a quick look at the Dominator carby. I have not pulled it down to see what jets and air bleeds etc.are in it yet but will do that in the next couple of days. The part no. on top of the carby reads, 12R-9027B. there is also another number 1713 on the top. is this a Gasoline carby or a Methanol carby ?.

P.S. Johns Racecraft did not have any information on any cars built at Smith Brothers Chassis.

Thanks again for your help, Squirrell.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That should be a non-HP 1150 casting, the list number on top should be a 7320 or 9377 unless it was a custom built carb using a bare casting. If you can post a picture of the main body side of the metering block, I can tell you if it's 2 or 3 circuit. If it is a stock unmodified carb I would suggest getting it reworked, with the right mods it will work fine on the throttle stop. I have a pair of the old style 9377's one on gas, one on E85, both work fine on the stop. It should look like the 1050 in my picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCarbTrophy2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	21856  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #26
Squirrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, here are some photos of the carby.

Can anyone tell me if this is a petrol carby or methanol carby. I did not find a listing for it on the Holley site. I have emailed them with the same questions. Thanks for your help, Squirrell.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
rodrocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Patrick

is there any numbers stamped in on the other side of the carby

the 12R number I believe is a casting number

regards
Rod
rodrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It could be set up for alcohol based on the fuel bowl extensions.

bob
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Squirrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Rod , I could not find any numbers on either side of the carby. There are some numbers on the throttle arms, 1549 on the primary arm and 1480 on the secondary arm . I sent an email to Holley and they asked the same questions. Cheers Patrick.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
jmarkaudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pull a bowl and look at the jet size. I'm inclined to believe it's methanol as well with the bowl extensions, but I have seen someone build a gas carb with a secondary extension... not what I would use on either gas or methanol.