HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: Locking Dipstick

The Hughes I have is on NHRA's approved list so I should be OK, but you never know who you may get as a tech person at a race. I once was told at a National Event I needed a complete cover on the fuel cell. I asked for the head of tech to take a look and he told the tech in no uncertain terms that was not needed. Even after that the original tech person told me it would be a good idea to do over the winter. Just a wanna be tech person I think is what he was.
I think NHRA is actually worried about the dipstick coming up an fluid getting out.
The problem there is that most all trans have a vent lower than the dipstick which will bleed oil first.
I also use a small puke tank on the vent and I would think the puke tank would be of more use than the locking dipstick.
Just My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

B&M was also on the NHRA list but when I went on their site they showed a different dipstick than what I have for a locking.........I guess at the first race we'll see.
I have to pull the trans out to get the dipstick in then put trans back in ..ATI has a deal that looks OK part # 973081 that replaces the dipstick with a locking plug. Check fluid then put this in...........don't know .
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Locking Dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
HELL who knows,....

Jim, your saying that what 63vette and I have won't pass tech ?
Bob, no! Not at all. I'm saying there are several different styles of dipstick out there that appear to be accepted. Mine also expands the rubber ring at the top, locking it in place, much like the factory units. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On these (mayboe everyone already knows) if your running a CSR shield some "surgery" is required or Cope sells one for the 904 and Im sure others that "fits" as is.

Basically just a mounting tab difference, but not having to bend one with pliers and a vise was nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Bob, no! Not at all. I'm saying there are several different styles of dipstick out there that appear to be accepted. Mine also expands the rubber ring at the top, locking it in place, much like the factory units. Jim
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

I finally got the Lokar firewall mount and it works just fine. You can move it around and mount the top any place you like. And, the larger tube takes the oil real good, not like the old small tube.